PDA

View Full Version : Drilled/slotted rotors installed... problems

lagallinavecchia
06-24-2013, 04:59 AM
So, did the rears last week and the fronts this week. Primarily because they sent the wrong fronts. Finally got the new ones in and I'm looking at the back ones noticing they look rusted. More accurately, they don't look like they've been used. Take it out for a ride to break in the new ones (as suggested) and I come back home, rears still look rusted. How is it possible that by switching the rotors that something "broke"?

I'm incredibly frustrated and out of ideas for the moment. Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks all.

MAZ
06-24-2013, 09:11 AM
If I understand correctly, the surface contact area of the rotor seems to not be wearing?
Is the thickness of the new rotors thinner than the old?? Perhaps that new rotors are to thin?

jguerdat
06-24-2013, 09:12 AM
Do the brakes feel like they're working properly or is the pedal hard and less braking capability? The fronts do the lion's share of the work but the rears should be activating. Changing rotors would seemingly not require any "resetting" but you might want to check to see how thick they are compared to stock - thinner could be an issue.

Go out and be aggressive with them They need to be bedded in anyways. A good way to do this is on a remote road where you can safely do several 60-70 mph stomps down to about 5 mph (don't actually stop since that can lead to deposits causing braking vibrations which is why the Abarth Experience folks didn't want us to use parking brakes or sit with the brakes on). If you start smelling the brakes, that's enough. See http://stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/bed-in-theory-definitions-and-procedures/stock-brake-system-bed-in for details. Then see what they look like.

lagallinavecchia
06-24-2013, 09:28 AM
If I understand correctly, the surface contact area of the rotor seems to not be wearing?
Is the thickness of the new rotors thinner than the old?? Perhaps that new rotors are to thin?

Hey J, thanks for responding... yes you are correct. The contact area is not showing any wear. Same thickness. I'll confirm when I get home, just to be 100%

R1 sent me the rotors for a regular 500, but I believe the rears are the same, only the fronts are different... diameter only, not thickness.

*EDIT* Just to be clear... they sent me new front rotors to replace the smaller ones. They seem fine. Only the rears are a problem. I'm going to call them today.

lagallinavecchia
06-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Do the brakes feel like they're working properly or is the pedal hard and less braking capability? The fronts do the lion's share of the work but the rears should be activating. Changing rotors would seemingly not require any "resetting" but you might want to check to see how thick they are compared to stock - thinner could be an issue.

Go out and be aggressive with them They need to be bedded in anyways. A good way to do this is on a remote road where you can safely do several 60-70 mph stomps down to about 5 mph (don't actually stop since that can lead to deposits causing braking vibrations which is why the Abarth Experience folks didn't want us to use parking brakes or sit with the brakes on). If you start smelling the brakes, that's enough. See http://stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/bed-in-theory-definitions-and-procedures/stock-brake-system-bed-in for details. Then see what they look like.

Jeff, the brakes feel decent, and I "broke in" the new ones as per the instructions from R1. I definitely smelled the brakes. The fronts looked shiny and the rears looked the same. I did some hard braking too, right before/at the point where the ABS kicks in.

06-24-2013, 09:37 AM
I spoke to R1 as you know about rotors, I decided against it as they seemed very vague in regards to the Abarth specifically. They eventually told me they didnt sell rotors for the Abarth so I went with Stop Tech....

Does the E brake work ok??

06-24-2013, 09:41 AM

The hot brakes thing is a problem on these cars...wish Id known earlier! My e ebrake would stick the rears when hot especially on a cold or wet day. Id reverse out the garage but need to rev higher and would hear a loud clunk as the rears released under load. Now I have to get new rotors as Im hearing a constant rotating drone and regularly see an inprint on the rotos of the pads. I hope my new stoptechs will help and not suffer the same issues as the stock set up.

lagallinavecchia
06-24-2013, 09:44 AM
I spoke to R1 as you know about rotors, I decided against it as they seemed very vague in regards to the Abarth specifically. They eventually told me they didnt sell rotors for the Abarth so I went with Stop Tech....

Does the E brake work ok??

E-brake works. I just got these fronts and could still PM you info if you're curious. Have you gotten the StopTech stuff yet?

lagallinavecchia
06-24-2013, 09:45 AM
The hot brakes thing is a problem on these cars...wish Id known earlier! My e ebrake would stick the rears when hot especially on a cold or wet day. Id reverse out the garage but need to rev higher and would hear a loud clunk as the rears released under load. Now I have to get new rotors as Im hearing a constant rotating drone and regularly see an inprint on the rotos of the pads. I hope my new stoptechs will help and not suffer the same issues as the stock set up.

I did see an imprint on the rears. I thought that was just from sitting a while.

06-24-2013, 10:08 AM
Im in the order process with Stoptech as theyve only just started manufacturing them... its slow getting new stuff for our cars. I wanted EBC but they couldnt give a straight answer. That imprint is what I believe I hear when driving, nasty sound, although brakes work fine?! Doesnt pull either way just a constant rotating drone that gets worse under braking....you drive fast then you cant hear it!!

lagallinavecchia
06-24-2013, 10:48 AM
This is driving me nuts. I'm sitting here at work wishing I were home with the back wheels off the car pulling these @%!% rotors off. I have also noticed a ticking noise, which I'm wondering now if it's related to the brakes.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Rapid Rob
06-24-2013, 10:59 AM
The ticking noise is quite common with drilled rear brake rotor for most cars due to the small size of the pads. My friends and I have experienced this on many models of small cars. As far as the rust, that is not normal, and I would return the rotors.

lagallinavecchia
06-24-2013, 11:18 AM
The ticking noise is quite common with drilled rear brake rotor for most cars due to the small size of the pads. My friends and I have experienced this on many models of small cars. As far as the rust, that is not normal, and I would return the rotors.

Good to know about the ticking. But I'm going to call them when they open today (in about 45 min) and try to get some answers. They were great about getting me new front rotors, so let's see...

lagallinavecchia
06-25-2013, 01:12 PM
Finally got in touch with them (when Tech doesn't answer, call sales) :)

They said the rears for all the 500's are the same. So it seems it's the back calipers and not the rotors. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Time to call a real mechanic.

redred
06-25-2013, 03:08 PM
Man that sucks. I don't know about the R1's but I've had Tarox rotors and RRM brake pads installed on my Abarth for several months now and they have been great. Slotted, not drilled. No squeaking, ticking or performance issues to date. Also did the braided stainless steel brake lines which seemed to improve things even further.

06-25-2013, 04:45 PM
Meant to ask, when you did the rears did the calipers need a retraction tool or did they just press back in?

lagallinavecchia
06-26-2013, 08:52 AM
Meant to ask, when you did the rears did the calipers need a retraction tool or did they just press back in?

Great Q... they just pressed back in :-/ I was discussing this yesterday with someone who mentioned the same thing.