PDA

View Full Version : Still no data at fueleconomy.gov

Andree
06-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Just checked fueleconomy.gov to see if the 500L numbers were up there, and nothing shows. We know what Chrysler/Fiat says the numbers are, so I guess the EPA is doing the full test on the 500L...or they're just behind/overloaded with paperwork.

The mpg info still doesn't show up on the dealer websites, and there are still no available window stickers for the 500L. I guess none of that will show up until the EPA does their thing.

I like following along on things, start to finish. I wasn't around for the planning stages of the 500L, or the early rumors. But I wish there was a way to see exactly what goes on. I've seen pictures on how cars are tested for mpg, but who gets the incoming report? I mean, someone somewhere sees it, right?

How does the EPA get the cars for testing? Do they just go out and buy some to test? What happens to the cars after testing? Does the manufacturer give the EPA free cars to test? And what happens after testing?

There ARE people involved all along the way. Everything isn't automated. I find it interesting to know who does what. Like is there a HUGE department of people doing testing, or is there one John or Jane Doe who gets every single manufacturer estimate and decide on whether or not to test it themselves. Do they have a 100 bays for testing new vehicles, or just one, and it's a very long wait?

The whole world is full of fascinating people and machines and I always want to know more.

panther76
06-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Just checked fueleconomy.gov to see if the 500L numbers were up there, and nothing shows. We know what Chrysler/Fiat says the numbers are, so I guess the EPA is doing the full test on the 500L...or they're just behind/overloaded with paperwork.

The mpg info still doesn't show up on the dealer websites, and there are still no available window stickers for the 500L. I guess none of that will show up until the EPA does their thing.

I like following along on things, start to finish. I wasn't around for the planning stages of the 500L, or the early rumors. But I wish there was a way to see exactly what goes on. I've seen pictures on how cars are tested for mpg, but who gets the incoming report? I mean, someone somewhere sees it, right?

How does the EPA get the cars for testing? Do they just go out and buy some to test? What happens to the cars after testing? Does the manufacturer give the EPA free cars to test? And what happens after testing?

There ARE people involved all along the way. Everything isn't automated. I find it interesting to know who does what. Like is there a HUGE department of people doing testing, or is there one John or Jane Doe who gets every single manufacturer estimate and decide on whether or not to test it themselves. Do they have a 100 bays for testing new vehicles, or just one, and it's a very long wait?

The whole world is full of fascinating people and machines and I always want to know more.

the EPA doesn't do the testing that results in the numbers on the window sticker. they dictate to the manufacturers how the testing is to be done.

Andree
06-25-2013, 02:15 PM
the EPA doesn't do the testing that results in the numbers on the window sticker. they dictate to the manufacturers how the testing is to be done.

Yes, and then the numbers are sent to the EPA, who may choose to verify the results via their own testing.

I'd already written to, and received a reply from, fueleconomy.gov about the 500L. The manufacturer has already released their mpg estimates, and would have sent them over to the EPA. The EPA in turn sends them over to fueleconomy.

Robert Nixon
06-25-2013, 04:37 PM
that's what I've read, that manufactureres do the testing and publish the numbers. The EPA only tests a small percentage of cars to verify. Of course the big incentive for manufacturers to be accurate is the wave of public anger (and lawsuits, like Hyundai and others) when the real cars aren't getting the published MPG.

panther76
06-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Yes, and then the numbers are sent to the EPA, who may choose to verify the results via their own testing.

I'd already written to, and received a reply from, fueleconomy.gov about the 500L. The manufacturer has already released their mpg estimates, and would have sent them over to the EPA. The EPA in turn sends them over to fueleconomy.

so they are not on the site yet, but chances are very high they will be what fiat tested them as. it is pretty rarae that they get changed by the epa. heck, Hyundai did their testing wrong and it took 2 years for the epa to notice.