PDA

View Full Version : Abarth pulls to the left in sport mode.

FootScoot
06-21-2013, 10:16 PM
I normally don't run in sport mode, but I did yesterday and the car pulls to the left badly. I thought maybe it was tire pressure or something like that. Tire pressure is fine. I did lower it with Eibach Pro Kit springs, and have GTR 17X7.5 wheels with Yokohama S-Drives. It was aligned (4 wheel) after it was lowered. It drives fine in normal mode even if I get on it, but is almost scary in sport mode. Any suggestions appreciated.

Felnus
06-21-2013, 10:18 PM
In all conditions or only under heavy acceleration?

Ryephile
06-21-2013, 10:26 PM
My first guess is it's probably just torque steer and/or tramlining on crowned or contoured asphalt. It's not uncommon for high torque front-drive cars.

Tweak
06-21-2013, 10:43 PM
My first guess is it's probably just torque steer and/or tramlining on crowned or contoured asphalt. It's not uncommon for high torque front-drive cars.

This would be my guess as well, once I did my ECU mod I noticed even more amounts of torque steer when the wheels aren't just spinning...lol.

William M Jacocks Jr
06-22-2013, 07:36 AM
This is why I hardly ever accelerate hard out of a driveway or a turn. Torquesteer always rears it's ugly head there on me. Straightaways, not so bad but still have it. Best to keep both hands on the wheel with a good grip, I tend to find myself shimmying towards the center line of the road before getting it straightened up.

FootScoot
06-22-2013, 09:05 AM
That is exactly what it does. It's not like it's uncontrollable, but it is a little unnerving. I tried it again yesterday on the, ahem, expressway (rofl) and it did it a little, but not bad. My guess would be the type of pavement it's on. The normal road repair around here is either a patch, or let's pour some tar on it which is bad enough when it's dry, but a nightmare when it's wet. They fill all the cracks with tar, looks like a spider web on the road. That's what I was on when it went wack. Reminder to self, no sport mode on spider web roads. The Abarth has less than 2000 miles on it, so its still new.

stratofortress
06-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Like mentioned earlier, it's prob a combo of slight torque steer (esp if it's only in sport) and tramlining; lots of people, including myself, experience pretty bad tramlining with the Pirellis depending on road surface. I'm sure that amplifies the torque steer.

FootScoot
06-23-2013, 08:43 AM
Must happen with Yokohama's too. I tried it again yesterday on a better section of regular street and it was normal. Very little torque steer. I have had front wheel drive cars in the past so a little is expected it's just normal.

jguerdat
06-24-2013, 09:22 AM
Part of the Abarth's design is equal length half-shafts to mitigate torque steer. That doesn't necessarily mean it's all gone but I can't say I've noticed any on either the street or track. The cars used in the Abarth Experience didn't have anything noticeable, either. If it's truly steering strongly, I'd take it back and have things checked out. I don't know the powertrain mounting specifics but maybe there's a subframe that can be tweaked?

b56.1m6
06-24-2013, 10:05 AM
Isn't the sport mode off on Abarth Exp. cars? I get this on certain roads and power applications and it feels like torque steer to me.

Ryephile
06-24-2013, 10:22 AM
Part of the Abarth's design is equal length half-shafts to mitigate torque steer. That doesn't necessarily mean it's all gone but I can't say I've noticed any on either the street or track. The cars used in the Abarth Experience didn't have anything noticeable, either. If it's truly steering strongly, I'd take it back and have things checked out. I don't know the powertrain mounting specifics but maybe there's a subframe that can be tweaked?

Equal length drive-shafts aren't the primary cause of torque steer, it's primarily the steering axis inclination (SAI) and scrub radius. It's the suspension geometry that controls and allows torque steer. There's a little summary on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrub_radius) that's insightful if not a bit cryptic.