PDA

View Full Version : Restrictions at Track day

Abarth6633
06-21-2013, 09:56 PM
One of the Sales man at a fiat dealership was telling me that one of the people he sold an Abarth to went and they weren't allowed to press the sport button, had to have the A/C on, and had to leave esc on. is this true? that would take a lot of the fun out of it, the throttle response is pretty lame without sport mode and am not used to heal toeing in regular mode because I'm always in sport mode.

wilbmeister
06-21-2013, 10:13 PM
One of the Sales man at a fiat dealership was telling me that one of the people he sold an Abarth to went and they weren't allowed to press the sport button, had to have the A/C on, and had to leave esc on. is this true? that would take a lot of the fun out of it, the throttle response is pretty lame without sport mode and am not used to heal toeing in regular mode because I'm always in sport mode.

Answers to questions: no, no and yes. We had the choice at all events to use the sport button and the AC. The only restriction is that windows have to be all the way up or all the way down. The ESC must be on. If you are caught turning it off you are sent home. I guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad!

Fiat500USA
06-21-2013, 10:13 PM

Yes, although I think the AC was optional when I went last year. This isn't an all out race, but more of a track experience to give you taste of what autocross, drag racing and road course work is like. If you have a lot of track experience, you may feel like you're going slow. It is still fun, and the ride with the professionals is cool. Plus it isn't your car and you can beat the car to death and then drive yours home, no problem!

lenswerks
06-21-2013, 10:20 PM
You can use the sport button on autoX, but the course is so tight better with it off.
The head-to-head event we could use sport if you wanted, times are better with it off to reduce wheel spin.
First round of 4 outings on the road course no sport button and stay in 3rd, second round of four outings on road course you can use sport button and shift as you please.
ESC stays on.

This was at Daytona, other event locations may not be the same.

Abarth6633
06-21-2013, 10:33 PM
Ok, Cool, thats better, and i can understand the traction control because of people loosing control, though it sucks at the same time.

GetsThruBuckner
06-22-2013, 01:14 AM
ESC always on. Windows Up or Down. Everything else was optional at most times. I have videos, if you'd like to see, of me hitting 80MPH toward turns and my Pro Driver telling me to push it harder. This was my first track experience ever. I must say, the Pro was pushing me as far as I wanted to go, maybe FURTHER! ridiculous fun if you ask me.

jguerdat
06-22-2013, 07:05 AM
I used sport mode every time I was allowed and ended up with FTD. Since sport mode changes a number of parameters, it's tricky to say that one aspect makes a big difference. In any event, I had no problem with wheelspin since ESC limited it in the first place.

In the track module, I was virtually hitting the rev limiter at the end of the straight (see my video in the Englishtown thread - it never actually kicked but the counter in the video shows it just barely kicking 6500) and I'm quite sure I wasn't the fastest one out there.

Abnormalradio13
11-18-2013, 06:35 PM
well i can't wait to do my track experience next year. kinda late in the season. this should be awesome. already done autocross many times but it'll be first time on a circuit track unless i go to one before then

Deffmikey
11-19-2013, 11:00 AM
You can use the sport button on autoX, but the course is so tight better with it off.
The head-to-head event we could use sport if you wanted, times are better with it off to reduce wheel spin.
First round of 4 outings on the road course no sport button and stay in 3rd, second round of four outings on road course you can use sport button and shift as you please.
ESC stays on.

This was at Daytona, other event locations may not be the same.

I live in Florida as well near Daytona. How was the staff? I'm planning on going in February. Did you have fun? Were there any issues?

Robert Nixon
11-19-2013, 11:58 AM
The folks that do the Abarth Experience are all pros at driving and instructing, so it is first class all the way. They probably all do the same thing with the other FIAT/Chrysler events like the SRT and Viper days for owners, and have all "been there and done that". They are pros, they make it fun for all, and will quickly deal with any issues that come up if there are any. Keep in mind that they do this for a living, and are used to instructing the old couple that just bought an Abarth, as well as the hot rod 20 year old guy as well as everyone in between.