PDA

View Full Version : License plate light

wilbmeister
06-21-2013, 09:24 PM
On my way home from the Abarth Experience today I stopped for gas in northern PA just south of Binghampton, NY. As I was getting gas a guy pulls up in his 500 and asks how I like my car. He really liked his but just came from getting his rear hatch handle replaced because the bulb burned out. I didn't know that you had to replace the whole thing. My bigger surprise was that he told me the dealer said it wasn't covered under his warranty. I don't know where he bought it but that doesn't sound right. He said it cost him $150. My thought was if this happens to me I might spend the extra bucks and get a carbon fiber one. I wonder how they work with bulbs and replacement?

Felnus
06-21-2013, 09:31 PM
Both of mine went out. Yes, it requires the entire chrome handle to be replaced but mine was covered under warranty. The dealer said they couldn't understand why FIAT required the whole assembly to be replaced but you cannot order the bulbs separately apparently.

FTY
06-21-2013, 09:38 PM
Both of mine went out. Yes, it requires the entire chrome handle to be replaced but mine was covered under warranty. The dealer said they couldn't understand why FIAT required the whole assembly to be replaced but you cannot order the bulbs separately apparently.

This is insanity!!

The whole handle over two LED bulbs?

Felnus
06-21-2013, 10:08 PM
This is insanity!!

My guess is that there is a design flaw of some kind that is causing the LEDs to blow prematurely. Obviously, LEDs should not be blowing in first 6 years of ownership, let alone six months.

Tweak
06-21-2013, 10:59 PM
It happens sometimes from what I have read and it was actually $235 unless the price took a large drop, but yeah, bulb dies and the entire piece gets swapped (under warranty).

Odd they told him it is not covered and cost so much less. :confused:

wilbmeister
06-21-2013, 11:17 PM
I may have heard him wrong but I thought he said 150. Mr Fiat was with me and he may have heard the cost. I see the carbon one sells for $289. If I had to buy it myself I may go that way. Does anyone know if that one has the same issues?

SeaDawg
06-22-2013, 12:44 AM
This is insanity!!

Yes!