PDA

View Full Version : Editor's Page: 500L (Kelly Blue Book)

Andree
06-21-2013, 01:40 PM
"You could call the 2014 Fiat 500L a 4-door hatchback, compact wagon or just a 5-passenger carryall and be correct on all counts. Fiat dubs the 500L a "multipurpose vehicle.""

"Again and again we were surprised with the 500L's levels of comfort, quiet and roominess. In these respects it outshines not only the Countryman and Juke, but also the Soul and Cube."

http://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-latest/editors-page-2014-fiat-500l/2000009453/

Plenty to read at the link.

ciddyguy
06-22-2013, 12:48 PM
That is a very good writeup on this vehicle, and what I'm seeing here are largely positive reviews of this car from Americans. While it could be a bit better in the twisties, it's quite good for what Fiat intended it to be, a family hauler, largely.

That said, my local Fiat dealer shot me an email, saying they have them in stock so may take a nice drive north to Kirkland to see them in the flesh, and maybe snag a test drive.

Andree
06-22-2013, 05:36 PM
That is a very good writeup on this vehicle, and what I'm seeing here are largely positive reviews of this car from Americans. While it could be a bit better in the twisties, it's quite good for what Fiat intended it to be, a family hauler, largely.

That said, my local Fiat dealer shot me an email, saying they have them in stock so may take a nice drive north to Kirkland to see them in the flesh, and maybe snag a test drive.

From my own personal experience, twisties are only fun for the driver. And potholes/rough roads aren't much fun for anyone, unless it's off-road on purpose in a vehicle meant for it. Otherwise, I used to like going for long drives in a vehicle when I'm the passenger if the vehicle isn't too jarring and the trip isn't a "race". I'm just not crazy about this kind of back seat ride, no matter how much fun it is for the driver: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1dYv_gKTA8

This 500L would be the total package for sightseeing, whether it's big city or National Park. Especially with the glass roof. And I wouldn't be surprised to see the vehicle put into commercial service for sightseeing/tours.

ciddyguy
06-23-2013, 11:30 AM
From my own personal experience, twisties are only fun for the driver. And potholes/rough roads aren't much fun for anyone, unless it's off-road on purpose in a vehicle meant for it. Otherwise, I used to like going for long drives in a vehicle when I'm the passenger if the vehicle isn't too jarring and the trip isn't a "race". I'm just not crazy about this kind of back seat ride, no matter how much fun it is for the driver: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1dYv_gKTA8

This 500L would be the total package for sightseeing, whether it's big city or National Park. Especially with the glass roof. And I wouldn't be surprised to see the vehicle put into commercial service for sightseeing/tours.

I think it largely depends on where you go, take something like the Tail of the Dragon, or a mountainous road though one doesn't need to go really fast, and some roads, you simply can't due to the ruggedness of the area, but you can perhaps not need to feel like you have to crawl around the corner slowly, and that is what I was after. A car that provides that level of confidence so you CAN enjoy the drive/ride. A road I'm thinking of is SR 410 up over Chinook Pass in the Cascades. A stunning drive that has in your face views of the mountain, but you can only go over it from April to Nov though.

Another one is SR 7 that begins in Tacoma, and heads south through Sumner, and out past Elbe, one of the various entrances to Mt Rainier, and ends in Morton in central Western Washington. Most people take many of those roads much too slow, but a reasonable speed is fine. It is another beautiful drive as you see Mt Rainier through the trees as you head to Elbe.

Need to do that this summer, for sure.