PDA

View Full Version : Decent Autoblog review for the 500L

fiat30327
06-19-2013, 03:48 PM
Autoblog is a great site that I check a couple of times a day and their reviews are always balanced and entertaining....here is the one for the 500L:

http://http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/19/2014-fiat-500l-review-first-drive/

I ran by my Studio in Atlanta today to kick the tires again on the 500L...I was pleased to find out that I can sit behind myself, my knees don't touch the front seat back, and I am 6'2".

Unfortunately the Studio has no info on the car other than what's on the sticker...no pricing sheet, brochures, etc.

redred
06-19-2013, 03:53 PM
Your link was a little messed up. Here it is:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/19/2014-fiat-500l-review-first-drive/

Andree
06-19-2013, 05:47 PM
I'd call it an outstanding review.

Sounds like it's a good fit for you.

I'm wondering if the hold-up is because they JUST released the mpg and that is something that would probably go IN the brochure.

ciddyguy
06-19-2013, 10:50 PM
Very well put, as when I first heard about the little 500 several years ago, I loved it's looks, and was very eager to hear that Fiat may return to the US, and when I finally got to test drive one in early '11, I was NOT disappointed. On the contrary, I liked it's general dynamics and was quite impressed with its ride, despite the overly short wheelbase. At 70, it felt planted, something cars that size didn't always do well at, and with two adults, one smallish woman, and myself, the car got up to speed at a decent rate.

However, I have had experience in a car only slightly larger than the 500, but with less horsepower, and was lighter too. I once had a 1983 Honda Civic hatchback that was 148" in length, but weighed in at just under 1800#, and had all of 67hp out of a 1.5L 4, so the horsepower to weight ratio was similar to the Fiat and having driven that Civic 6 years, the overall acceleration of the Fiat didn't disappoint. I found the ride firm, but with good damping as well, as I test drove the sport with its firmer suspension and liked it as it was.

I have not had a chance to actually go see the new model as yet so can't say how I'll react once I see it in the flesh, but so far, it's looks have grown on me over the past few months. Now that I've gotten spoiled by an even firmer riding Mazda, with similar HP, but out of a larger motor, it'll be interesting to see how I feel about the new 500L, once behind the wheel as I like how the Mazda has a flat, lower stance for carving the twisties, and has GOOD driving dynamics for such drives. Still, though, I like the little Panda's general design elements better.

So my thoughts have been how good is it stock, and how much would it take to firm it up a tad more if need be for fun, spirited driving?

I'm sure the boys at places like 500 Madness will come up with something, like an antisway bar, and a strut tower brace up front at the very least, both exist on my Mazda and it's partly why it corners very flatly for a 5 door hatch.