PDA

View Full Version : About.com reviews the 500L

Andree
06-18-2013, 01:19 PM
This was an interesting review. It seemed the reviewer wasn't quite sure what to make of it, yet found it to be a positive experience in general. As is the case in many online areas, there are tons of underlined links, and I assumed I'd end up going to another review of theirs, but instead, I was whisked away to the manufacturer site for Opel's Zafira. Links to the cars that are not available in the US go to manufacturer site. Because Fiat IS competing with ALL those cars, whether or not we can get them in the US.

The review is full of humor. Just how roomy does the Fiat 500L feel?

"The relationship of the seat, steering wheel and upright windshield is unlike most cars, and it took a great deal of fiddling with the seat-height adjuster and tilt-telescope steering column (both standard, thank goodness) before I felt like I was driving a car rather than a small house."

How big is the exterior?

" The 500L's length is still nearly a foot less than a Honda Civic, but it stands nearly as tall as a Honda Odyssey minivan."

And just how big is that shifter knob in the manual?

"For now, the 500L comes with either a six-speed manual or a six-speed twin-clutch automatic. The manual is nice enough, aside from a shifter knob so large you could put it in your living room and use it as an ottoman, but the twin clutch automatic does a better job of accessing the engine's power."

I won't spoil the end of the review, you have to read it for yourself.

Check it out here: http://cars.about.com/od/fiat/fr/2014-Fiat-500l-Review.htm

djhace
06-18-2013, 02:23 PM
"Only the Trekking model gets proper butt-gripping fabric." LOL! Silky.

Andree
06-18-2013, 03:51 PM
"Only the Trekking model gets proper butt-gripping fabric." LOL! Silky.

Butt-grip was a concern of mine. No, really. It was. I need something I can scoot across to get in and out of the car. If it grips, my back is going to complain, loudly. And so will I.

I used to use plastic bags on the seat in my former car. Plenty of slide and scoot there. But then was faced with another butt-grip problem, that of the bag being butt-gripped and coming out with me.

Tweak
06-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Butt-grip was a concern of mine. No, really. It was. I need something I can scoot across to get in and out of the car. If it grips, my back is going to complain, loudly. And so will I.

I used to use plastic bags on the seat in my former car. Plenty of slide and scoot there. But then was faced with another butt-grip problem, that of the bag being butt-gripped and coming out with me.

The way I drive I def need the opposite, I really want the Sabelt seats but my wallet tells me NO! :D
We need a drooling smiley for things like this...
http://stwot.motortrend.com/files/2009/09/25808824.jpeg

fiat30327
06-18-2013, 07:46 PM
The article is right about the front seat space...it definitely feels a bit weird and will take getting used too.

Andree
06-18-2013, 08:49 PM
The way I drive I def need the opposite, I really want the Sabelt seats but my wallet tells me NO! :D
We need a drooling smiley for things like this...

How much? And is it for a pair or each?

Andree
06-18-2013, 08:49 PM
The article is right about the front seat space...it definitely feels a bit weird and will take getting used too.

In what way?

Tweak
06-20-2013, 12:10 AM
How much? And is it for a pair or each?

Couple grand easily and airbag light annoyances potentially.

Details here: http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/07/sabelt-seats-for-north-american-fiat.html

Taken from the link above:
As far as pricing, the seats in Europe typically range between 1399 and 1799 ($2170 - $2790). And that is without carbon fiber trim. Add the cost of air shipment of around 600 - 1300 ($930 - $2014) and you are looking at seats not for the faint of heart or wallet. If that is not enough to dampen your mood, the European Sabelt seats do not feature side air bags. I know some are saying "who cares!", but the problem is there is no air bag bypass connector available to keep the air bag warning light from illuminating, and that kills the market for the average enthusiast.