PDA

View Full Version : SCCA Solo June 29th ZMax Dragway Charlotte NC

Robert Nixon
06-17-2013, 03:12 PM
Registration is now on line for this SCCA Solo (auto cross) event . This is a combined solo of the Central Carolina and South Carolina regions, so it is filling up already.

If you've never done an autocross, it's a lot of fun, and very easy to show up the first time and run in the Novice class, where everyone will help you and even ride along and coach you too.

http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/frmEventDetail.Show?psevent_id=14189&psmode=3

I've only done 1 in Novice, but this time I'm entered in the G Stock class, no mods on my Abarth.

abarth&911
06-19-2013, 10:35 AM
I just registered for this event in the STC class.

Robert Nixon
06-19-2013, 11:18 AM
Excellent, we're up to TWO Abarths in this event! out of 92 entrants so far.

Robert Nixon
06-21-2013, 11:19 PM
UPDATE June 21

Both Abarth&911 and I entered this event but have now received info from one of the two regions sponsoring it that due to the high speed nature of this particular lay out that the ABARTH will NOT be allowed to enter. We are both having discussions with now the TWO regions to resolve the situation ---I will keep it professional and let you know what the final answer is, but for now, I would advise you NOT to enter this event with an ABARTH.

I'm still a big fan of the SCCA, and hope to come up with a clear reading on this in the next few days.

Robert Nixon
06-22-2013, 11:23 AM
UPDATE June 22

I received word from both regions that ABARTHS will not be allowed to enter this event at ZMax in Charlotte next Saturday. I told them I would comply with their ruling, but still don't agree with it. Hopefully they don't make the same ruling on any other events.

Mauritzio
06-24-2013, 10:58 AM
So, what are they afraid of, huh? Looks like they don't like the competition.

Robert Nixon
06-24-2013, 03:10 PM
no hard facts as reasons, just safety. Both of us have done autocross' before, so this is a new one on Abarth&911 and me.

Small&Wicked2013
06-24-2013, 11:14 PM
I don't know that I will ever compete in another SC Region Event again after reading this. I am fortunate to be able to attend the events at Hutchinson Island Buccaneer Region. The events aren't to big and the people are great.

Robert Nixon
06-24-2013, 11:35 PM
I emailed the SC region Solo chairman to specifically ask if I can run the rest of the events this year that are totally under their control, but haven't got an answer yet.

Robert Nixon
06-25-2013, 08:52 AM
UDPDATE: My South Carolina Region Solo chairman wrote to say that Abarths are welcome at all SCR Solo events, so there is some good news!

Again to recap the main point, The SCCA Central Carolina Region will not allow Abarths to enter this Saturdays Solo event at ZMAX in Charlotte, apparently in any class, since the two that entered in GS and STC were both not allowed to enter. Just wouldn't want any other Abarth owner to get frustrated about this. For other CCR events, you would have to ask them.

Robert Nixon
06-30-2013, 01:53 PM
This event at Zmax was fun to drive, and I had the great pleasure of meeting Abarth&911 (Patrice). We both drove other cars and he certainly is way more experienced and faster than me! Thanks for all the tips during the track walk!

I will be driving the Abarth again on July 14th back in my South Carolina region at Darlington, so I'll be happy to back home in my car after finishing dead last in C Stock in my son's car. I may be slow, but I'm having fun!

banzaitoyota
06-30-2013, 05:35 PM
This is not the first time ccr has pulled arbitrary rules changes from their nether regions. Hence I won't play their silly reindeer games. Attending board meetings with them is like watching a disorganized egocentric train wreck

abarth&911
07-01-2013, 11:53 AM
It was nice also to meet you Robert, don’t worry, the more you will do, the faster you will be.
I didn’t do that good also, the cone on my fastest run kill me.
Like I told you, the THSCC is having an event in Fayetteville July 20-21.
Here a link to the pre reg. page.

http://www.thscc.com/autocross/prereg_autox.php

shagghie
07-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Heh, you guys should ask them how the Abarth on the west coast was able to beat all the STi's, Evo's, and all but one of the FRS/BRZ's, and a few high powered/light weight mustangs, and all but the fastest race-spec miatas this weekend.... if the car was 'unstable'. Sure, the inside rear was 6" off the ground... but if that's his definition of 'unstable', he should see the red corvette that was totaled this weekend out here after smashing into a metal trash can and then cement wall. I still just DON'T GET IT... you wouldn't think an 'unstable' car could be this competitive (granted I'm in SMF class running suspension/engine mods, but still... I'm guessing they wouldn't even let my car run out there on the general principal it is a fast little Italian car to begin with...?). I'm still so pissed off for you guys I can't even see straight. SCCA is supposed to be about INCLUSION...not EXCLUSION.

Robert Nixon
07-17-2013, 04:05 PM
I went ahead and submitted a letter to the SCCA national Solo folks (SEB), so will let you all know if they come to any decision. I asked them to rule that the since the Fiat 500 Abarth is clear for SCCA Solo events that they would ensure that all regions complied with that ruling. My SEB letter tracking number is 11933