PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning and maintaining interior.

BigT
06-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Alright just had some questions about what products everyone uses on their interior. Mainly for cleaning the plastic then protecting it preferably something that doesn't make it shine like it's covered in baby oil. Also trying to figure out best way to clean car at the car wash without using their dumb foam brush since no matter how much I spray it with the high pressure hose I don't trust that all the silt or dirt is ever out of it and the car wash doesn't allow bucket washing.

cmj912
06-17-2013, 06:42 PM
Use a variation of the rinseless method. Bring a boatload of the type of very nice cloths, like those from Griot's, that are used for waterless washing. Bring enough to do each panel separately. Wet the car, soap a panel, use ONE different cloth on each panel, rinse with the gun, then use another for another panel and so on.

Wring out and put the used cloths into a plastic bag and wash at home.

Tip: always use the gentle settings for wetting and rinsing. Extreme high pressure on a dirty car or aimed the wrong way will either push the dirt around and scratch or will kick up silt from the floor of the car wash and put it back on your car.

For plastic:
My be-all-end-all of plastic cleaning and protection is Plexus. I could probably have raised a baby in what I spend in cleaning products and Plexus is no joke. But since it buffs up matte, smells all new-car-y and repels dust and marks I'll pay what they want for it.

BigT
06-18-2013, 07:59 AM
I had though about just getting a bunch of the microfiber towels the super super soft ones as I have noticed some of the microfibers while soft aren't as soft as others. Then just pre soaking the car using the pre soak setting then switching to the foam brush and covering the entire thing in a good covering of the soap then go panel to panel but wasn't sure if that would work so well. Totally never thought about the fact that the high pressure wash could potentially cause scratches due to pushing dirt deposits around on the paint. I usually always presoak the car first to break up the dirt that is on there before I hit it with high pressure soap. But I will have to check out the plexus stuff you mentioned. A buddy of mine I work with offered me his driveway so I can hand wash it and also offered me the use of some of his adam's car care products I just gotta help him out with restocking when he runs out which I thought was more then fair and beats feeding the car wash.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
06-18-2013, 08:52 AM
I use the vacuum first ,then a blow with the filtered air from my compressor after that I use the Leatherique products once a month to treat the leather. The plexus stuff on the plastics is a great way to keep it looking and smelling like new. Always use a clean cloth on each surface to keep the scratches to a minimum.

BigT
06-18-2013, 09:03 AM
Does the plexus work on that painted panel as well? I don't have a compressor so I guess I need to pick up a battery operated vac and some cans of computer duster should work fine. I wish the cordless dyson hand vac wasn't so pricey I would pick one of those up. Have a big one for the house might just buy an extension cord and drag it outside to use in the car lol.

cmj912
06-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Does the plexus work on that painted panel as well? I don't have a compressor so I guess I need to pick up a battery operated vac and some cans of computer duster should work fine. I wish the cordless dyson hand vac wasn't so pricey I would pick one of those up. Have a big one for the house might just buy an extension cord and drag it outside to use in the car lol.

I bought a Dyson and never looked back. I bought the Dyson City, which is small enough to use in my house, or in the car if I want to.

Plexus is safe to use on all plastic surfaces including painted, clear, exterior and interior plastic parts.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
06-18-2013, 11:09 AM
I have the cordless dyson it is a piece of c--p, but Harbor Freight has compressors at fair prices. Just unplug them after use because mine burst into flames and almost burnt down the garage.

stratofortress
06-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Use Meguiar's interior cleaner or some other decent interior surface cleaner and follow up with a spritz of 303 Aerospace to protect from the elements. Only use plush microfiber towels for wiping.

Saxonite
07-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Im a Griots fan. I use their interior cleaner for all of the surfaces. Im sure Meguiar's has a similar product. I just spray a little on a clean microfiber towel and wipe down, always rotating the towel to a clean side. For washing the car at a car wash bay. What I did in college was rinse and spray the soap foam on the car then take a normal car wash mitt and wash the car with that. Then spray off the dirty soap. You're not going to get the same results as a true hand wash but its still alot better then using their brush. I would take a trip to visit my parents about every 4-6 weeks and visit my parents (90 mins away) and really clean my car then. Griots does sell a waterless car wash cleaner but I would be afraid to use that if the car is really dirty. One other idea would be to ask a friend to use their house to clean your car and give them some money or a case of beer to pay for the water. Good luck

dart1.4t
07-03-2013, 05:54 PM
i'm using mothers "VLR" for the interior. it makes everything feel soft to the touch because it has lanolin in it. it's designed for vinyl leather and rubber. if you use it wipe in on not spray it because it will leave spots on plastic.

cmj912
07-05-2013, 08:12 AM
Im a Griots fan. I use their interior cleaner for all of the surfaces. Im sure Meguiar's has a similar product. I just spray a little on a clean microfiber towel and wipe down, always rotating the towel to a clean side. For washing the car at a car wash bay. What I did in college was rinse and spray the soap foam on the car then take a normal car wash mitt and wash the car with that. Then spray off the dirty soap. You're not going to get the same results as a true hand wash but its still alot better then using their brush. I would take a trip to visit my parents about every 4-6 weeks and visit my parents (90 mins away) and really clean my car then. Griots does sell a waterless car wash cleaner but I would be afraid to use that if the car is really dirty. One other idea would be to ask a friend to use their house to clean your car and give them some money or a case of beer to pay for the water. Good luck

I support this method; its what I was trying to describe...bringing your own mitts and only using the gun to soap and wet the car. There was also a video I watched some time ago where the guy brought his own soap as well just because, well, I've found anyway that there is good carwash soap and bad carwash soap. One of the places around here has soap coming out of the gun that smells like lye and lemon Pledge. It very well could be...

One of the keys with using bays is to time it correctly. Do not put in all the quarters and try to do the whole thing. Put in a couple, wet, wash. Put in some more, rinse. Around here, they are all timed.

Abarth619
08-20-2013, 10:10 PM
I agree with the prior posters about Griots. Awesome customer service and products that actually work as described. Aerospace 303 is great UV protection for the plastics too.

EDIT: I just visited the Griots website and ended up $100 poorer by the time I left it, damn.

BigT
09-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Ok so quick question I have noticed something strange and I think it might be the cleaner I am using but for some reason the inside of the front window gets dirty rather quickly and primarily right above the hood for the gauge cluster. Every time there is like a film that develops in an oval shape right above it directly in my line of view has anyone else noticed this.. also what products does everyone use to clean their windows I have been using invisible glass in the aerosol can and maybe that has something to do with it since I leave it in the trunk on hot summer days possibly it has altered the contents somehow.

Tweak
09-09-2013, 12:11 AM
Ok so quick question I have noticed something strange and I think it might be the cleaner I am using but for some reason the inside of the front window gets dirty rather quickly and primarily right above the hood for the gauge cluster. Every time there is like a film that develops in an oval shape right above it directly in my line of view has anyone else noticed this.. also what products does everyone use to clean their windows I have been using invisible glass in the aerosol can and maybe that has something to do with it since I leave it in the trunk on hot summer days possibly it has altered the contents somehow.

Spray plastic bottle type not an aerosol can and Stoner's is what I've been using without issues.

BigT
09-09-2013, 07:17 AM
Yeah figured it was something with the aerosol version. I'll pick some of the plastic spray bottle version and give that a shot. Just use the aerosol on the outside

cmj912
09-09-2013, 09:19 AM
I am told that particularly in Summer using the a/c a lot and on recirc will cause windows to film rather quickly. I cleaned the inside of the windshield this weekend and noticed it took two tries to get it clean.

BigT
09-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Well I hardly ever run the A/C but I believe the recir theory is correct because on weeks when I don't have to run it at all I notice the window doesn't get dirty quite as fast. But yeah when it is dirty it takes about two passes with cleaner and towels to get it crystal clear.

boost
03-29-2015, 05:32 PM
On the dashboard I like to use 303 Aerospace. It does give you a mild shine but nothing cheap like armorall. It also adds a uv protection to help prevent the dashboard from cracking. On the windows you can use any window cleaner but make sure it is ammonia free. That is very important because the ammonia will ruin your window tint. When cleaning windows use two microfiber towels. Use one to wash the window and use the other one (dry) to wipe away the streaks. Best way to get streak free windows. I wouldn't go to a wash bay unless my car was covered in mud and I needed to powerwash it off before continuing with the wash. I prefer to use a rinseless wash with two buckets on the paint and a separate bucket for the wheels. This is the easiest way to wash the car and you can do it if you live in an apartment or a home. You just need two or three buckets, a wash mitt or a bunch of towels, and a drying towel (preferably a waffle weave towel, of course microfiber). Many videos on youtube on how to use a hoseless or rinseless wash. My favorite soap is the ONR (blue one not green). However you can get the same product from chemical guys or meguires. I just think Optimum No Rinse has the slickest solution to prevent scratches. Another great option is a waterless wash. This works best if your car isn't extremely filthy. More of a maintenance wash. Look up chemical guys Ecosmart Waterless Wash. This can be done anywhere as well and you save a lot of time and water. Just need to be delicate and need to purchase a lot of microfiber towels. It is well worth it. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Boost
Professional Detailer
Las Vegas, NV
Reno, NV