PDA

View Full Version : Cnet review

danny_1
06-12-2013, 02:43 AM
http://reviews.cnet.com/coupe-hatchback/2013-fiat-500e/4505-10867_7-35791987.html

Meh...this review was not super positive. I feel that this is the first mediocre review I have read for the fiat 500e. But then again this is Cnet and I no longer use Cnet since they were caught making those BS reviews last year. The reviewer says the fiat isn't really the best buy but I was unable to see what he said actually WAS the best buy (but maybe I just didn't read it thoroughly).

Anyone hear arrival dates yet? My dealer told me late this month or early July.

Also, I am trying to do a road trip soon after buying the car (don't laugh). I live in San Diego and I was planning about 80 to 120 miles per day on a 6 day road trip up north then back. On the days I plan to drive 120 miles I was gonna drive 60 or 70 then charge for 3 or 4 hours at a station (hopefully that'll get the extra 50 or 60 miles up the coast...if not then I will admit it on this forum...and I will have to call a tow-truck).

I am planning on joining Chargepoint. Does anyone have an opinion on them?

Lastly, has anyone heard about a quick charge accessory from fiat for DC quick charging? I mean, I know that the battery supports it but there is no adaptor on the car right now. I was kinda bummed about that. A quick charge plug would have been the icing on the cake for me. Even if I have to buy it then I would...as long as it is available soon after launch or there were some aftermarket option (does anyone know if there is such a thing?).

Anyhow, I am getting excited about this car. I really hopes it gets here soon.

Andree
06-12-2013, 09:22 AM
It's a pretty good review, in my opinion. There aren't a lot of electrics to compare the 500e to, and the first one he mentions in the Cabin Tech part is the Tesla, a vehicle with an MSRP of $57,400 (2012). Which is a huge 4 door vehicle. That would be a weak comparison in the gasoline model world, to compare a vehicle that is a different type and costs $25,000 more.

The Fiat Mobile app sounds great, especially the part about being able to precool/heat your car from using the plug-in source (so as not to drain your own battery).

The best parts relate directly to city life, real city life:

"Now, 75 miles may not sound like a lot in a world where we're used to getting 200-300 miles out of a tank of gas, but I was surprised by how well that range works for city living. I drove the 500e all over San Francisco, ran errands all over town, and even did some joyriding and almost never did the battery meter drop below the 50 percent mark. I always had enough range to get where I was going and then some."

and

"I didn't have a hard time keeping the 500e's battery reasonably charged. A full charge may take about 7-8 hours on 110V or 4-5 hours on a 220V level 2 charger, but you don't have to do it all in one go. I found that grabbing an hour here at the curbside charger while I had coffee, 2 hours there at a parking garage while I watched a movie, and a few hours of trickle charging at the office was enough to keep the 500e rolling almost indefinitely."

Those things mentioned are what a lot of people do, run errands, work, play such as movies, dining, etc. All that time you're sitting in a cafe or browsing a bookstore or enjoying a poetry reading, the car can be charging. Some people will get the hang of it and be living/working/playing in an area that has the chargers where needed.

I think a very scenic and peaceful road trip could be taken in the 500e. Not a trip where you're driving as fast as you can to get to a destination. But a trip where you stop for lunch and check out the town/city while the car charges for a few hours. Take some pictures. Walk around.

California Gold Country would be a good one, along Highway 49:
http://www.historichwy49.com/mainmap.html

As long as they have chargers, you could be in golf and winery heaven according to the map. With plenty of bed and breakfasts for, well, bed and breakfast. Every single city and town has a history, and that might be something to enjoy while the car charges. Learn a little bit about every place you stop.

Andree
06-12-2013, 09:27 AM
This is what I found about fast charging:

"Fiat has built DC fast charging capability into the battery packs, but there is no way to connect the car to a DC station. Fiat is waiting until the SAE Combo Charging infrastructure becomes more prevalent before possibly adding that option. For now, a standard J1772 connector and 6.6 kW charger let you refill the pack in under four hours."

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/15/2013-fiat-500e-first-drive-review/

danny_1
06-12-2013, 05:59 PM
I like your idea about the road trip. I'm gonna check it out. Thanks.

Also, I read about the battery supporting it but I was hoping there was a chance that they would release an option for the quick DC charging. It is a bummer that there are currently 2 competing standards for DC charging. I am pretty sure that will slow down adoption.

You're right about the review, actually. He seemed to like the car more than the title seemed to imply. But I still don't know which electric he claimed was better. It sorta sounded like the Fit but then he said it couldn't really compare because it was lease only. Anyhow, I know the electrics that are out now or available soon so I guess at this point it is up to me. I think I'm gonna buy 2 Fiat 500e's unless I really don't like it when I drive it before giving them my cash.

Now I just hope that Fiat decides to seriously support it at least for the next 3 years. I really want that DC charging adaptor.

janaheim
06-13-2013, 04:23 AM
I find it quite ironic that Sergio Marchionne did not want to build an electric car and yet the 500e may prove to be the best in the lineup. I would like to get one. I find it stylish, quick, fun to drive and super economical. Oh yeah, very affordable! Make more!

As far as Cnet goes, they have no business reviewing cars. They make as much sense as the Vatican reviewing condoms!

Ciao,
John

500ways
06-13-2013, 08:40 AM
I find it quite ironic that Sergio Marchionne did not want to build an electric car and yet the 500e may prove to be the best in the lineup. I would like to get one. I find it stylish, quick, fun to drive and super economical. Oh yeah, very affordable! Make more!

As far as Cnet goes, they have no business reviewing cars. They make as much sense as the Vatican reviewing condoms!

Ciao,
John

Agreed and lol

Long time no see. Nice to see you posting again.