PDA

View Full Version : issues with a touchless carwash

charliesheen
06-12-2013, 12:52 AM
Let me start off by saying I don't like carwashes and 99% of the time wash the car myself. However, yesterday on the way home, I took a different way home and there were a lot of bugs on the road for some reason. Today I didn't have time to wash the car, but didn't want it all dirty, so I decided to take it through a touchless wash by my house hoping it'd clean it up at least a little bit. It was my first time doing it with the Abarth, so after being done with it, I parked and looked around to make sure everything was fine. When I popped the hood, I saw some water in the engine compartment. I've never had this issue on my other cars, and I am wondering if this is ok. I got an intake coming in next week, and it would not be good if the water got into the intake. Should I just not even make that an option from on? Im mostly concerned about the battery/ECU side of things as well as the intake. Any pros got any input?

2Cool
06-12-2013, 07:23 AM
Good news is that the car is pretty much water resistant, and you will get more mist under the hood from a strong rain than you have there.

trevc
06-12-2013, 09:09 AM
I get the same thing when I pressure wash at home. I always dry out the engine before starting. Never seen it in regular driving in rain though.

charliesheen
06-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Ok cool. Better safe than sorry, u know. I wiped the bay as much as I could before driving. Is there any way to protect the CAI filter while washing it? I could put a stocking on it right, or is that a myth?

Good news is that the car is pretty much water resistant, and you will get more mist under the hood from a strong rain than you have there.

I get the same thing when I pressure wash at home. I always dry out the engine before starting. Never seen it in regular driving in rain though.

trevc
06-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Not sure what intake you have.
I have the Eurocompulsion V2 and don't worry about it as the amount of water is minimal and the filter has oil on it which helps repel the water.
Never heard the stocking idea!

Ok cool. Better safe than sorry, u know. I wiped the bay as much as I could before driving. Is there any way to protect the CAI filter while washing it? I could put a stocking on it right, or is that a myth?

charliesheen
06-12-2013, 07:41 PM
I have the Eurocompulsion V2 and don't worry about it as the amount of water is minimal and the filter has oil on it which helps repel the water.

I ordered the exact same one lol. Thats good to know. And as far as stockings...the proper term is filter wrap (first time looking into them since i've never had any concerns about this) and its smth like this

http://www.aemintakes.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=1-4000&cst=81515.1.0001

they also make em for the K&Ns in the R3T. My intake is still en route so I don't know what diameter/size it is, but here's the general link....

http://www.knfilters.com/search/wrap.aspx

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
06-12-2013, 08:59 PM

I got the K&N cover from Eurocompulsion6639

charliesheen
06-13-2013, 12:16 AM
I got the K&N cover from Eurocompulsion6639

oh he sells them?? awesome, gonna order it

Tweak
06-13-2013, 12:25 AM
As has been stated no worries, I have an exposed filter as well (RRM) and car washes, pressure washing, and rain has never caused any problems.

trevc
06-13-2013, 11:10 AM
Ah, ok. Yes, Eurocompulsion sells the K&N one that fits.
Injen also makes them in various sizes and may have one that would fit. They are much thinner than the K&N 'sponge'.

I ordered the exact same one lol. Thats good to know. And as far as stockings...the proper term is filter wrap (first time looking into them since i've never had any concerns about this) and its smth like this

http://www.aemintakes.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=1-4000&cst=81515.1.0001

they also make em for the K&Ns in the R3T. My intake is still en route so I don't know what diameter/size it is, but here's the general link....

http://www.knfilters.com/search/wrap.aspx

charliesheen
06-13-2013, 04:14 PM
As has been stated no worries, I have an exposed filter as well (RRM) and car washes, pressure washing, and rain has never caused any problems.

Thanks Tweak. Just wanted to see what others think, cuz I have NO idea what the acceptable level of water in the bay is. Heard too many horror stories of hydrolocking etc on the forums for my last two cars.

Ah, ok. Yes, Eurocompulsion sells the K&N one that fits.
Injen also makes them in various sizes and may have one that would fit. They are much thinner than the K&N 'sponge'.

Yeah, I don't rly like how it looks so spongy but whatever - itll only go on during a wash or rly heavy rain.

Tweak
06-13-2013, 11:32 PM
Thanks Tweak. Just wanted to see what others think, cuz I have NO idea what the acceptable level of water in the bay is. Heard too many horror stories of hydrolocking etc on the forums for my last two cars.

Yeah, I don't rly like how it looks so spongy but whatever - itll only go on during a wash or rly heavy rain.

My RRM intake has the filter right at the firewall/cowl area and being a K&N the oil will help as does the foam cover so I have never had an issue nor do I expect to ever see a situation where water and the filter will cause any problems. I am thinking about sometime adding a hood scoop then I might be a little more concerned but leaning towards that not being a problem either.

06-14-2013, 10:14 AM
I have the V2 intake and run my Abarth through a touchless wash every week. It's been a year and the only "issue" which may not even be related is that most of the silver paint on my engine cover has come off!!! Intake is fine, touchless wash is fine - just don't say it to those that have days free to wash theirs with a one bristled toothbrush...they don't like talk of auto washes!

cmj912
06-14-2013, 11:30 AM
Just a quick note of warning to choose only reputable carwashes that monitor the water pressure and do not use recycled water. You might as well sandblast your car otherwise. As for the chemicals they use, I'd be leery of that, too, since the initial presoak and wash chemicals are designed to remove dirt without any rubbing. I sincerely doubt you have the people that service the chemical vats making sure, every time, that they have a thoughtful, gentle mixture designed to baby and pamper each finish.

I am told that the 'Monsoon' brand washes are among the best computerized touchless washes out there. However, the initial presoak in many of these washes is HOT water. I am not sure that preblasting your car with hot water, particularly in the winter, is a good thing unless you plan to go right home and put a coat of wax on it.

In this neck of the woods, a Monsoon wash goes for between 10 and 15 dollars. For 12, I can get a very good indoor hand-wash (that I can watch through glass) while I wait, drink coffee, and watch ESPN. For 17, they clean the interior with brand-name products (I think they use Poorboys!) and leave a cupful of mints in all of the cupholders. Well worth it when I can't do it myself.

banzaitoyota
06-14-2013, 11:57 AM
This is why for light dirt levels rinseless washing is a better solution

Hangman0327
01-02-2016, 02:36 PM
Are they able to clean the undercarriage? I'm not sure where you're located, but my concern is keeping the salt build up to a minimum during the winter months here in New England.
I'm also a little worried about the chemicals doing damage to the cabrio top of my Abarth

Just a quick note of warning to choose only reputable carwashes that monitor the water pressure and do not use recycled water. You might as well sandblast your car otherwise. As for the chemicals they use, I'd be leery of that, too, since the initial presoak and wash chemicals are designed to remove dirt without any rubbing. I sincerely doubt you have the people that service the chemical vats making sure, every time, that they have a thoughtful, gentle mixture designed to baby and pamper each finish.

I am told that the 'Monsoon' brand washes are among the best computerized touchless washes out there. However, the initial presoak in many of these washes is HOT water. I am not sure that preblasting your car with hot water, particularly in the winter, is a good thing unless you plan to go right home and put a coat of wax on it.

In this neck of the woods, a Monsoon wash goes for between 10 and 15 dollars. For 12, I can get a very good indoor hand-wash (that I can watch through glass) while I wait, drink coffee, and watch ESPN. For 17, they clean the interior with brand-name products (I think they use Poorboys!) and leave a cupful of mints in all of the cupholders. Well worth it when I can't do it myself.