PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Gauge Adapter/Bezel Worth the Money?

whatebahw
06-11-2013, 12:31 PM
I was looking on another forum and noticed a group buy for an electric turbo gauge kit. The kit includes a Depo Racing boost gauge and a bezel to make it fit our Abarth. Their group buy prices start around $200 and go down to $180 depending on the amount of buyers. The thing is, this gauge is available online for between $60 and $85 (https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&hs=Yhg&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=shop&sclient=psy-ab&q=depo+%22boost%22+gauge&oq=depo+%22boost%22+gauge&gs_l=serp.12..0.168629.171296.0.172486.2.2.0.0.0.0 .76.144.2.2.0...0.0...1c.1.15.psy-ab.6ToXiju_9LA&pbx=1&pws=0&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47380653,d.dmg&biw=1141&bih=569&ech=1&psi=oKKvUf3CCoT54AOft4DIBQ.1370464929097.13&emsg=NCSR&noj=1&ei=TaOvUdHwKcPh4AOJs4GQDA). So essentially it seems they are charging $100 to $120 for a bezel to make the gauge fit our cars. Does that seem reasonable or are they taking advantage?

redred
06-11-2013, 12:48 PM
If you can find a machine shop to mill that solid piece of aluminum down and finish it nicely for less than $120 then by all means go for it. I work with many metal shops and that sort of piece, with those sort of tolerances are not cheap to make. They take time to cut down on the lathe and even more time to finish them off. So since ATM took the time to come up with the specs, make the prototype, adjust the prototype, make another prototype and then offer them for sale - why shouldn't they make some money for it?

BTW - that group buy is on this forum - not the "other" one.

whatebahw
06-11-2013, 12:56 PM
If you can find a machine shop to mill that solid piece of aluminum down and finish it nicely for less than $120 then by all means go for it. I work with many metal shops and that sort of piece, with those sort of tolerances are not cheap to make. They take time to cut down on the lathe and even more time to finish them off. So since ATM took the time to come up with the specs, make the prototype, adjust the prototype, make another prototype and then offer them for sale - why shouldn't they make some money for it?

BTW - that group buy is on this forum - not the "other" one.

Hey I just asked a question! I don't have an issue with anyone making a buck. You obviously don't think it sounds like a ripoff. Thanks for your reply. Are you sure there are no other forums having a group buy for this "kit"?

P.s. I really need to invest in a 3D printer.

trevc
06-11-2013, 01:08 PM
Their mounting ring is a cool piece. Machined and anodized it is probably worth what they are charging.
Too expensive for me though.
I am with you - if they took their CNC code and had somebody make the part on a 3d printer in plastic it would be a lot cheaper and function just as well.

whatebahw
06-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Their mounting ring is a cool piece. Machined and anodized it is probably worth what they are charging.
Too expensive for me though.
I am with you - if they took their CNC code and had somebody make the part on a 3d printer in plastic it would be a lot cheaper and function just as well.

Might be lighter as well:)

shagghie
06-11-2013, 01:24 PM
It's a no-brainer for me, and imHHHHo, for anyone that is tuning or modding a car. $200 is a small price to pay for that info constantly there, and accurate. I've spent that much or more on gauge setups in the past in the VAG community, and at the very least, ATM are dropping the price the more people that go in. That is not a 'given' in a group buy scenario, and compared to other brick and mortor/website shops, a lot of them will only offer one price (the high one) indefinitely, with no opportunity to collectively lower our price together. I'm all for the metal bezel, personally. The other thing on price/value is to consider the time and testing, instructions, etc. that it takes someone to come up with... Often, that is the most valuable part of a product that is purchased and where a decent chunk of the cost comes into play, if only for the opportunity cost (they could be spending their time working on a different project or item instead)
I think it's a fair question for the OP to ask, and I think the answer is best reflected in how well the group buy is going already.