PDA

View Full Version : Local Dealer received shipment today

redred
06-10-2013, 07:45 PM
My local Fiat Studio just received a shipment of 500L's. Only the Pop and the Easy line ups for now. Trekking and Lounge to come later in the summer/early fall.

I zipped down to check them out. First off, I have to admit these things are surprisingly roomy! I am 6'1". Set the front seat to a very nice, comfortable position. Hopped in the back seat right behind the drivers side and I was quite comfortable.

Well appointed and seemingly versatile as well. I didn't get a chance to test drive one. They were still checking them in. I will swing by later this week and take one for a spin.

One thing I will note: the center armrest is LOADS better than the one on the Abarth!

Andree
06-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Ooooh, so lucky!

Since you're tall, how is the head room and leg room for you, in both front and back. How much head clearance?

Did you have a chance to check out the fold and tumble rear seats or the two-level cargo space?

Tell us about the interior colors and materials on the seats, dash.

redred
06-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Since the keys haven't even been coded to the car yet, we couldn't open the tailgate. However I did get to sit in two different ones. The first one did not have the panoramic sunroof and that one (like the Abarth) has way more headroom (especially in the back). When I sat in the back seat of the Easy model with the Pano Roof, my head touched the roof of the car. If we went over a bump, I would imagine it would have been a little rough.

I would definitely go for the one without the Pano. Loads of legroom otherwise. Color and materials are so-so. The two I sat in both had light grey seats. The dash and steering wheel had the same material and color on sections of it. It feels like cheap alcantera cloth. It definitely seems like it would be durable, but not the best looking material. I am guessing it will stain easily and would most likely recommend some sort of scotch guard protection immediately after purchase.

If you are in the market, I would wait for the Trekking or Lounge and check out the leather interior options.

I will probably go back later in the week for a test drive and I will snap some pics. They only had one car without the plastic on the seats while I was there so it was hard to see what color options they had.

Andree
06-10-2013, 09:52 PM
I have my happy Lounge runabout, so I don't need another. BUT, I am so enthusiastic about these cars, and want to know more. Especially important is the tall factor. I'm not tall, I fit in anything, but there have been so many people asking about the regular 500 and it's ability to carry tall people. Since you already have the Abarth, you're the perfect person to review the 500L, in terms of comparing the head room, leg room, etc. There's supposed to be a little more head room in the 500L. And I'm not sure if the seats are MORE adjustable (as in able to go lower) than the Abarth.

The seat fabric is probably more than it appears. This is the company that did the fabric for the regular 500s, I'd guess they may also be the ones who do the 500L:
http://www.cordura.com/en/onthego/upholstery.html

Their fabrics are used for a lot of rugged, outdoorsy things. Their whole mantra is "durable", and I'd expect the fabric to last (and last and last and last). The seams might give, the car might end up a pile of rust in 100 years but the fabric will still be sturdy...heh

I think at this point in my life I go for durable over "pretty". There are a lot of older cars that had kind of a velour material for seating, and that material isn't looking so good these days. I see a lot of cars when I go for my short walk daily, and time isn't good to many interiors.

I like the front seats in the Trekking, I like the black/brown combo (I have the brown/ivory leather, and the black plastic everywhere in my Lounge, love the looks of the combo):

Reminds me of two-tone riding boots:

One of the models I think is supposed to have the glossy dash, like our regular 500 size. I thought it was the Pop. I like the glossy dash over fabric. Easier to clean, obviously.

Pics would rock! I've looked at the 500L a million times in the Fiat release photos and on the UK configurator site, but those are never as good or as accurate as real life photos. I want to see the car and interior in natural lighting.

Until the dealers put up their photo shots of the incoming cars, all we have are those carefully done Fiat release photos.

Andree
06-10-2013, 10:38 PM
By the way, it LOOKS like (by prices alone) that my dealer is getting the other models, well, maybe the Lounge, not the Trekking. Or can you add on that many goodies to the Pop and Easy to make the higher price? I'd think that fancy glass roof would be expensive, a lot more than my sunroof.

http://www.fiatusaofberkeley.com/new-inventory/index.htm?sortBy=internetprice&SByear=2014&SBmake=FIAT&SBmodel=clear&SBbodystyle=clear&SBprice=clear&SBtrim=clear

Also, did you see any window stickers on the cars at all?

Edit: I looked at model codes and VINs, there are three on the above inventory page:
BFFL44 ZFBCFAA
BFFH44 ZFBCFAB
BFFP44 ZFBCFAC

(best friends forever!)

So maybe Pop is L (A on VIN), Easy is H (B on VIN), P is Lounge (C on VIN)???

Andree
06-10-2013, 11:03 PM
Oh! I'm back, I checked the Van Nuys site, and it looks like they have at least ONE Lounge coming in, in white, according to the model code/VIN thing. It's different from the rest:
http://www.fiatusaofvannuys.com/new/Fiat/2014-Fiat-0bf7371a0a0a0064004cbcafd039b411.htm

It's white. It might be one they put on the showroom floor.

Tim D
06-11-2013, 01:17 AM
What are your thoughts on how they look. Some people think they look better in person. Do you think it looks better than a mini countryman? Some pictures i look at makes it not look too attractive, but others it looks very nice. Does it look bloated? Thank you for your input.

redred
06-11-2013, 02:19 AM
What are your thoughts on how they look. Some people think they look better in person. Do you think it looks better than a mini countryman? Some pictures i look at makes it not look too attractive, but others it looks very nice. Does it look bloated? Thank you for your input.

Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised. It looks much better in person. I think the thing that turned me off of it when I first saw them at the LA Auto Show was the two tone version (colored body, white roof). The ones I saw today were all solid colored top to bottom. I think that makes a HUGE difference in how it looks.

I think there is a lot of potential for this little big ride. Lower it, widen it a bit, tint the windows and put nice looking wheels on it and it could look quite nice.

Tim D
06-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised. It looks much better in person. I think the thing that turned me off of it when I first saw them at the LA Auto Show was the two tone version (colored body, white roof). The ones I saw today were all solid colored top to bottom. I think that makes a HUGE difference in how it looks.

I think there is a lot of potential for this little big ride. Lower it, widen it a bit, tint the windows and put nice looking wheels on it and it could look quite nice.

Thanks for your input. Do you like it better than the MINI Countryman and how do you think it compares?

Curious
06-11-2013, 06:18 PM
One thing I will note: the center armrest is LOADS better than the one on the Abarth!

Love to know if the drivers arm rest has a built in storage compartment for pens, coins, keys. Also love to have pictures of a side mirror. They are supposed to have spotter mirrors built into them. Last request, love to have a picture of the mini spare. That should be stowed just below the carpet at the bottom of the trunk area. Thanks much.

redred
06-11-2013, 07:01 PM
Thanks for your input. Do you like it better than the MINI Countryman and how do you think it compares?

I think it is MILES better looking than that MINI behemoth. Haven't ever looked into the Countryman because I just hate how it looks so I couldn't even begin to compare the two.

Love to know if the drivers arm rest has a built in storage compartment for pens, coins, keys. Also love to have pictures of a side mirror. They are supposed to have spotter mirrors built into them. Last request, love to have a picture of the mini spare. That should be stowed just below the carpet at the bottom of the trunk area. Thanks much.

Center armrest does have a flip up arm with storage in it. Very handy. I'll have to check into the mirrors and spare tire when I go back to test drive one.

Curious
06-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Center armrest does have a flip up arm with storage in it. Very handy. I'll have to check into the mirrors and spare tire when I go back to test drive one.

I managed to get a picture of the center arm rest from the dealer. Rather nice, good storage, something the 500 lacks.

Curious
06-12-2013, 07:22 PM
I managed to get a picture of the center arm rest from the dealer. Rather nice, good storage, something the 500 lacks.

Here's another picture of the arm rest

sbulla
06-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Is that white leather on the seats? I really like that.

Bigcanoe
06-13-2013, 12:46 PM
What is that mini arm rest under the big folding arm rest? A mini armrest? :)

redred
06-13-2013, 12:56 PM
What is that mini arm rest under the big folding arm rest? A mini armrest? :)

That is actually the emergency hand brake. Very ergonomic and quite huge!