PDA

View Full Version : Forge re-circulation valve

Toad
06-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Does anybody have this installed? I'm wondering if it makes a bov sound.

Part in question:
http://www.forgemotorsport.com/content.asp?inc=product&cat=060401&product=FMDVF14R

Thanks

Jjm4life
06-10-2013, 09:04 PM
This http://www.forgemotorsport.com/content.asp?inc=product&cat=060401DV&product=FMDVF14A is the one you want if bov sounds are what you're after.
The recirculated one will be quieter

mr_robs
06-11-2013, 04:30 AM
I was curious to know if the BOV is better suited for our motor/boost system vs the re-circ valve. Mostly because ive noticed everyone is running the BOV and not the re-circ.

Ryephile
06-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Shaggie is running a Forge valve, check out the thread he posted.

FYI, the factory BOV is a re-circ [like most OEM setups]. The problem isn't that it's re-circ, the problem is it lacks flow-rate, can err on the side of leaking, and the ECU programming that actuates its servo is poorly programmed. Running a vacuum operated setup will improve boost response during gear changes and also reduce long-term stress on the compressor wheel, all by reducing compressor surge.

If you want noise, go vent-to-atmosphere. Also, buy yourself an ATM Holey Cowl intake. It essentially plumbs the BOV acoustics into the cabin.

Toad
06-11-2013, 01:20 PM
I am looking for as quiet as possible. No noise would be fantastic. Just want the higher pressure. I have eurocompulsion v3 intake FYI

trevc
06-11-2013, 01:24 PM
Go with the recirc then, not the BOV.
I still need to get mine installed - hopefully this weekend.

I am looking for as quiet as possible. No noise would be fantastic. Just want the higher pressure. I have eurocompulsion v3 intake FYI

shagghie
06-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Go with the recirc then, not the BOV.
I still need to get mine installed - hopefully this weekend.

I think we should specify what kind of noise he wants and where he wants it. You're gonna get noise with either one, especially the 'dump' noise.
In my case, to get LESS noise, I went with the BOV to atmo, since it relocated the BOV dump under the hood at the front of the engine = less noise in the cabin, when combined with the ATM HCI intake.

When I ran a p-flow, I had a BOV that was adjustable as to what % could go to atmo vs. intake. In that setup, I found the noise was a lot louder set to 100% recirc that BOV, mostly because the air would slam into a metal wall that resonated every time.

Since the OP has an R3T intake, it might be quieter running the re-circ, but I wouldn't be 100% certain of that. It should be about the same volume you already have with the stock valve, but with a crisper release in a shorter period of time...so perhaps a slight bump in dB, but a much 'kinder' sound to deal with acoustically. You won't go wrong either way, though. Enjoy!

Toad
06-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Well I am hopping that since the v3 retains the oem intake/ filter it will silence whatever noises come out like it does now

shagghie
06-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Well I am hopping that since the v3 retains the oem intake/ filter it will silence whatever noises come out like it does now

should be the case, and lower overall sound than a atmo BOV.

WMWFiat
06-11-2013, 10:18 PM
We had a customer get one a couple weeks ago from us and he just emailed me yesterday saying he loved it.

Toad
06-12-2013, 12:22 AM
Thanks guys. It's already in the mail, I was having second thoughts but now I feel better. Will be installing this weekend along with waste gate valve and ryephile's evap re-route.

rufferto
06-17-2013, 06:04 PM
I had ordered the BOV, but was accidentally sent the recirc valve. I must say WMW was most excelent at getting me the BOV.

Had the forge recirc. valve installed on the stock intake and then with the eurocompulsion V1. I could not hear any venting sound inside the cabin with windows shut.
The BOV makes a much louder venting sound, audible inside the cabin and very noticable outside the vehicle. I know a lot of people don't like that sound, but my 2 other turbo cars all have BOV's and shifting doesn't seem right without the sound IMO.

Toad
06-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Follow up... I installed the recirculation and waste gate valves this weekend. Very happy with new valves. They help the engine and turbo product a smooth power band. Noise wise there is a very, very faint bov sound but it is fast and crisp. You have to listen really hard for it but its there. Anyway hope this helps someone who wants something quiet.

Jjm4life
06-20-2013, 06:35 PM
Soo..

Anyone pop a p2261 code after install?

shagghie
06-20-2013, 11:11 PM
Soo..

Anyone pop a p2261 code after install?

negative ghost rider, time to teiple check the lines off the solenoid?
I have the bov tho...

zonker
06-21-2013, 10:09 AM
ok that's my q... once the vacuum operated Forge recirc valve is installed, What do you do about the electrical connector to the factory recirc valve? Does it not throw a code because now the ecu is no longer controlling it?

Jjm4life
06-21-2013, 10:30 AM
Comes with a pigtail connecter to handle that.

808Abarth
06-21-2013, 10:25 PM
isnt recirc valve better for performance anyways? an bov more sound but dumps to much air and takes a little while longer for the little guy to spool?? wondering because this is one of my choice of upgrades...

Jjm4life
06-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Seems like im running on wastegate pressure until we can get this sorted. So strange. It rips through the gears until it throws a code, so mechanically its working. Not sure whats off. Forge was absolutely no help. Thankfully 500madness has been great and is working to help find a solution

shagghie
06-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Seems like im running on wastegate pressure until we can get this sorted. So strange. It rips through the gears until it throws a code, so mechanically its working. Not sure whats off. Forge was absolutely no help. Thankfully 500madness has been great and is working to help find a solution

Hit TrevC up and do a cross-compare, as you both have a lot of mods, and are running the re-circ.
maybe play with your WGA pre-load a little too.
You have the lowest spring in your re-circ right?

trevc
06-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Mine's still sitting in the box :-(

Hit TrevC up and do a cross-compare, as you both have a lot of mods, and are running the re-circ.

shagghie
06-23-2013, 12:45 AM
Mine's still sitting in the box :-(

why???? anything I can help with?

trevc
06-23-2013, 02:52 PM
No but thanks!
95+ degrees in the garage. I think between you and SuperTony I have all the information I need and more. I just need to get in the right frame of mind!

why???? anything I can help with?

shagghie
06-23-2013, 05:21 PM
No but thanks!
95+ degrees in the garage. I think between you and SuperTony I have all the information I need and more. I just need to get in the right frame of mind!

doo iiittt! :-) consider it a hot yoga class!

Jjm4life
06-23-2013, 09:24 PM
I have the atmoheric bov, you talked me ino it. Still throwing a code and running what feels like wastegate pressure. Funny thing is when i first start the car, it runs stupid strong... Until the ecu notices something's up and kills the fun

shagghie
06-23-2013, 10:04 PM
I have the atmoheric bov, you talked me ino it. Still throwing a code and running what feels like wastegate pressure. Funny thing is when i first start the car, it runs stupid strong... Until the ecu notices something's up and kills the fun

Weird! Are you running the yellow spring? How many full turns from 'neutral' is your WGA adjusted to? i'm on the yellow spring and about 3 turns past neutral on the wga.