PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
06-06-2013, 12:45 PM
I was surfing the web and saw a oil cooling system for the Abarth, probably not the NA but can not for the life of me find that site. I checked my history and still no go. Has anyone seen one of these and is it necessary or prudent?

Deefourtay
06-06-2013, 12:50 PM
I believe our Abarths come with an oil cooler right before the oil filter.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2DELW1P8ivA/UEoO-nFyQrI/AAAAAAAANcU/9AQZJE0kn-k/s400/AbarthPower.com-Fiat_500_Abarth-Oil_filter.JPG

Cited From: http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/09/fiat-500-abarth-oil-change.html

OPERATION
Here is some background on how the lubrication system works on the Fiat 500 Abarth's engine. The oil from the oil pan is picked up by a gerotor type oil pump inside the oil pump housing mounted in the front of the cylinder block. The oil from the pump first travels to the oil cooler assembly and then to the oil filter element. After the oil has been filtered and cooled, the oil enters the main oil gallery.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
06-06-2013, 01:06 PM
The one I saw was slightly smaller than the aftermarket intercooler. Glad to see we already have one.

Deefourtay
06-06-2013, 01:35 PM
The one I saw was slightly smaller than the aftermarket intercooler. Glad to see we already have one.

I'm glad we have it as well, without it.. I'm sure the oil temperature would sky rocket!

shagghie
06-06-2013, 01:48 PM
I was surfing the web and saw a oil cooling system for the Abarth, probably not the NA but can not for the life of me find that site. I checked my history and still no go. Has anyone seen one of these and is it necessary or prudent?

In general, the short answer is that after market oil coolers are a bad idea unless they are apparently necessary after monitoring oil temps. Perhaps when running a race circuit, and if you're seeing oil temps spike in certain sections, or if you're doing hill climbs, they are useful, but even then, they come with a risk that in my opinion doesn't warrant the benefit. A lot of engines have been trashed as a result of running them on the streets...it's the only place you don't want to ever see a failure, as a sudden oil pressure drop is all it takes for a split second to trash an engine. You also can loose some oil pressure overall due to the increased volume of the overall system when you add an oil cooler.

But I will admit this is one of those areas where everyone has an opinion, backed up by personal success or failure stories, and that the 'right' answer is up to you, given what you are doing with your car, how good the oil cooler design and workmanship and installation is, and how well you maintain/monitor it for any leaks or loosening clamps over time, etc. Also depends on where you mount it too, somewhere free of the chance of it getting damaged if you hit a tire tread, etc. at speed.

Ryephile
06-06-2013, 02:06 PM
There are very few modern street cars that benefit from additional oil cooling. The Nissan 370Z would be an easy notable mention as it's oil cooling is marginal from the factory.

Having a thermostatically controlled oil cooler is not a bad idea. It keeps temps normal until the oil reaches a set temp, then introduces the additional circuit w/heat exchanger to regulate the temp from getting too hot. Oil that's too hot isn't something the 99 percentile will see on the street, it's track-only. The counterpoint would be adding a cooler w/out a thermostat, where the oil temps are never warm enough. This is common to see on the Lotus Exige, where it has dual factory oil coolers and will run oil temps that are too low except for the track, which thankfully is where those cars reside most of the time. Cold oil causes additional wear and drag and blowby....the exact reason you wait until the engine is warm before you give it all the Welly.

Unless someone is withholding data, we have yet to see any reason to worry about oil temps or adding oil cooling to the Abarth.

Deefourtay
06-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Even factory units fail, good example is a Lotus Elise one here. The one on our Abarths seem more simplified in design & more solid since it's directly attached onto the block minimizing the need of long hoses.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/attachments/f312/166869d1306765122-poll-oil-cooler-hose-failures-oil-line-failure-001.jpg

shagghie
06-06-2013, 02:30 PM
This picture reminds me that when I get a tune, I'm going to want to look at ALL the hose clamps and potential leak points in the system. That hose in the pic was forced against it's own straight line rigidity by increased pressures in the line that the design could not handle. And that is a funky design to begin with, with no hose clamps in the equation, just relying on circumferential pressure and hose rigidity to stay in place, by the looks of it. I'm not even convinced my eyes are seeing what they are seeing, though.. seems like there must be more to the story in this picture!

Even factory units fail, good example is a Lotus Elise one here. The one on our Abarths seem more simplified in design & more solid since it's directly attached onto the block minimizing the need of long hoses.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/attachments/f312/166869d1306765122-poll-oil-cooler-hose-failures-oil-line-failure-001.jpg

Jjm4life
06-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Dont even get me started on the s111 oil line failures. Cars were totaled, motors blown... What a mess. Luckily i didnt have any issues, but ive heard the horror stories. Both my cars ultimately were included in the recall, but after i had sold them.

shagghie
06-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Phew!!!

Dont even get me started on the s111 oil line failures. Cars were totaled, motors blown... What a mess. Luckily i didnt have any issues, but ive heard the horror stories. Both my cars ultimately were included in the recall, but after i had sold them.

banzaitoyota
06-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Second Gen RX7's had very efficient oil coolers