PDA

View Full Version : Fiat 500L price and mpg figures for US market

Andree
06-06-2013, 12:36 AM
"The Fiat 500L mpg figures are decent, but not as much as you would hope, as it manages 31 mpg in the city and 40 mpg on the highway. The 500L has a 0-60 mph time of 7.2 seconds, which we have to say is rather impressive for a standard family car for 5 passengers. Having said that, should we really be that surprised considering the 1.4-liter engine comes with a turbo charger, which is able to produce 160 horsepower?"

http://www.product-reviews.net/2013/05/28/fiat-500l-price-and-mpg-figures-for-us-market/

I think the 500L is the "standard family car" that isn't at all "standard" and doesn't really look like a "family car".

Felnus
06-06-2013, 06:51 AM
It would be great if those numbers are correct but they look like a combination of a 2013 Pop manual's MPG figures and an Abarth acceleration numbers.

Andree
06-06-2013, 08:34 AM
It would be great if those numbers are correct but they look like a combination of a 2013 Pop manual's MPG figures and an Abarth acceleration numbers.

Gee, it does look like it.

I went looking for the MPG, it's not on the Fuel Economy site yet.

Specs page at Edmunds with gear ratios and other stuff:
http://www.edmunds.com/fiat/500l/2014/road-test-specs.html

A few extra measurements added in here, like the rear legroom:
http://www.edmunds.com/fiat/500l/2014/features-specs.html

"No EPA mpg numbers have been released, but Fiat is aiming for best-in-class." from http://www.stltoday.com/classifieds/transportation/reviews/fiat-l-it-s-designed-to-be-a-big-small/article_854a3847-6df1-534e-b9dd-3b6cf5f9f11a.html

Estimates here:
"The version of the 1.4-liter Multiair turbocharged four-cylinder gas-fueled engine that will be found in the North American 500L is similar in design to the 1.4-liter four in the Dodge Dart. It has a tune that strays more toward that of the European Abarth Punto, though, as it reaches 158 hp and 184 lb-ft of torque for an estimated acceleration to 60 mph in 9.0 seconds or less (compared to 7.7 seconds in that Abarth Punto weighing 300 lbs less than the 500L). "
And
"(26/32 w/1.4L T)"
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/02/2014-fiat-500l-first-drive-review-video/

Has quickie video and lots of pics of a lovely deep green.

Hey! Only right handed cup holder tray for the back seats, no indentations for lefties:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-fiat-500l-first-drive/#photo-5784086

This one, lots o' acceleration times with stick and auto, plus mpg, simulations, and links to a bunch of stuff I know nothing about:
http://www.automobile-catalog.com/make/fiat/500l/500l_mpv/2014.html

So, based on nothing, I can truthfully state:
0-60: Yes.
mpg city/highway/average: depends/depends/depends

Sigh.

Andree
06-06-2013, 09:15 AM
P.S. I'm sorry, didn't mean to lead anyone astray, I just reported what I found. I'm not really sure WHY Fiat hasn't announced the mpg on their own site. And it's not on the Fuel Economy .gov site. Or in the Chrysler press kit download. :(

Felnus
06-06-2013, 04:14 PM
No worries. There could be any of number of reasons why FIAT hasn't posted figures yet. Either they aren't finalized or perhaps FIAT has an exclusive deal with a car magazine to make the announcement. Big banner headline on the magazine cover: "36 MPG! And, unlike a Kia Soul, it will actually do it!" or something like that.

Of course, Chris could at least tell us when the embargo lifts and he can spill all the details he has. :peaceful:

Andree
06-06-2013, 09:44 PM
No worries. There could be any of number of reasons why FIAT hasn't posted figures yet. Either they aren't finalized or perhaps FIAT has an exclusive deal with a car magazine to make the announcement. Big banner headline on the magazine cover: "36 MPG! And, unlike a Kia Soul, it will actually do it!" or something like that.

Of course, Chris could at least tell us when the embargo lifts and he can spill all the details he has. :peaceful:

I feel like the fool, though. I sent off a snotty note to the EPA for not having the figures on their site.

Without the EPA stuff, there is no window sticker, right? There has to be an EPA sticker in the window for the car to be sold (I think). So even if the dealer lots are chock full of wonderful 500Ls, no window sticker, no sale. Am I right?

I don't think auto manufacturers get to have a "deal" with the EPA on releasing fuel economy numbers. Do they?

Here's how vehicles are tested:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml

More details in the (you guessed it) details section:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

Fiat tests it, then sends the info to the EPA, and EPA confirms it.

So, has Fiat not sent the info to EPA yet? Or what?

There are no results when looking up window stickers for the 500L. Not found. Nothing there.

Felnus
06-06-2013, 10:25 PM
It may be possible that the EPA chose to verify FIATs numbers with their own testing as it does with about 10-15% of the data submitted. Hard to say what the hold up is but you are correct, a new passenger vehicle cannot be sold without the Monroney sticker on it.

Andree
06-07-2013, 12:32 AM
It may be possible that the EPA chose to verify FIATs numbers with their own testing as it does with about 10-15% of the data submitted. Hard to say what the hold up is but you are correct, a new passenger vehicle cannot be sold without the Monroney sticker on it.

I wonder if it has to do with some recent news about manufacturers overstating mpg:

"In the duel to outfuel each other, some companies in the auto industry have come under fire for overstating mpg.

Recently, the popular Ford C-Max Hybrid crossover and the Ford Fusion Hybrid, both with a class-leading 47 mpg, have come under scrutiny for underperforming. Class action suits against Ford have been filed in three states, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and California, according to Autobloggreen.com, for “false and misleading” claims.

Manufacturers test their own vehicles, typically a preproduction prototype, then report the results to the EPA. The EPA then tests or confirms about 10 percent to 15 percent of the vehicles, according to www.fueleconomy.gov. In the case of alternative fuel vehicles like electrics, the “EPA has special regulatory provisions that allow EPA to direct manufacturers to test such vehicles using methods specified by EPA,” in the agency's wording.

Typically the mpg ratings fare on the low short side of averages, with many drivers reporting higher mpg than those stated on the label."

(edit) LINK to source: http://cars.chicagotribune.com/fuel-efficient/news/chi-average-fuel-efficiency-for-new-cars-reaches-new-high-20130606 (end edit)

Since the 500L is totally new (said in Valley Girl voice), the EPA may be giving it more rigorous testing? Maybe unfairly, or maybe cautious. Fiat disappeared, and then reappeared with what I think is a fabulous car (the regular 500). Any new vehicle should be tested, in my opinion. But now we have varieties of the 500 regular (sport, turbo, abarth, electric) plus this L model using the Abarth engine.

It's the Abarth engine, but the car weighs more. I'd guess the performance and mpg of the stick (6 speeds) put it between the stick Pop/Lounge and the Abarth. I'm very happy with the way the Lounge performs with an automatic. It's plenty zippy for me and what I need to do. I can't even imagine driving an Abarth in my travels. Does the turbo even do anything when accelerating from a dead stop to 20 mph to instantly brake again to stop? LOL.

It won't be quite as zippy as the Abarth (weight). But with six speeds, I'm guessing the highway mpg will be better or equiv to the Abarth, but not quite as high as the stick Pop/Lounge. Which I think is pretty good. I'm still wanting the mega-mpg cars, they used to be around in little strippy Nissans, Toyotas, Hondas. I think today's consumer is too picky when it comes to interior and features. Sometimes a strippy is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Frankly, while I totally dig the power sunroof and heated seats, I don't really need power windows, power door locks, all the stereo stuff, leather (vinyl is fine), or even A/C (where I live). I don't even need the back seat. If they made a strippy model, it would allow many more people to get a car at a super low price that would provide basic transportation. Let people build them up as needed.

Fiat500USA
06-07-2013, 01:39 AM

Soon.... very soon....gr_grin Here is a little tidbit for everyone. There was a good reason you couldn't sit in the 500L at the auto show. I hinted at it in earlier posts when people wondered why.

Andree
06-07-2013, 08:54 AM
Soon.... very soon....gr_grin Here is a little tidbit for everyone. There was a good reason you couldn't sit in the 500L at the auto show. I hinted at it in earlier posts when people wondered why.

All new seats?

There were no seats?

The seats at the auto show folded over and crushed the occupants like a mouse trap?

Say, how come you get to know? Spill!

Fiat500USA
06-07-2013, 09:53 AM
The seats at the auto show folded over and crushed the occupants like a mouse trap?

yelrotflmao-vi

cmj912
06-07-2013, 11:47 AM
I think what he had alluded to was that the interior was only 'cosmetically' distance-finished (so you could peek in, but sitting in it wouldn't have been a good idea lol) and not fully functional.

Andree
06-07-2013, 12:52 PM
I think what he had alluded to was that the interior was only 'cosmetically' distance-finished (so you could peek in, but sitting in it wouldn't have been a good idea lol) and not fully functional.

Ahhh. I see. So, you mean this isn't the real seat for the 500L in the US?

cmj912
06-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Ahhh. I see. So, you mean this isn't the real seat for the 500L in the US?

On the contrary, it's part of a special edition that comes with Blue&Me in Yoda's voice...

"A Command, You Must Say...Errm Hrrm..."

Andree
06-07-2013, 09:52 PM

You're right. Got reply from fueleconomy and they said the manufacturers determine the public release date for the EPA ratings. So the manufacturer does it first, then the EPA, then it shows up on the FuelEconomy site.

ciddyguy
06-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Hey, even if the car gets "only" 36 highway, it'd be considerably better than what I get out of my '03 Mazda Protege5 currently, and I've always considered 300-300+ miles cruising range to be the minimum one should have in a car, and currently, I have not gotten that much out of my car with a full tank, I've come close though.

Sounds like the performance will be more than decent since if I recall, the torque will come on at a lower point that what one typically finds in a N/A gas vehicle. It's how sprightly the car feels off the line that helps determine if it "feels" slow, or not, never mind that some people don't take advantage of the power that is available to them on the average family hauler these days.

Andree
06-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Hey, even if the car gets "only" 36 highway, it'd be considerably better than what I get out of my '03 Mazda Protege5 currently, and I've always considered 300-300+ miles cruising range to be the minimum one should have in a car, and currently, I have not gotten that much out of my car with a full tank, I've come close though.

Sounds like the performance will be more than decent since if I recall, the torque will come on at a lower point that what one typically finds in a N/A gas vehicle. It's how sprightly the car feels off the line that helps determine if it "feels" slow, or not, never mind that some people don't take advantage of the power that is available to them on the average family hauler these days.

Fiat has been saying that the mpg will be "best in class". Since the obvious competitor is the Mini Countryman, it's figures are 27/35/30 for stick:
http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=32934&id=33028&id=33273

I added the Abarth for it's engine, and the Honda Fit too. Honda Fit is 5 speed though, as is the Abarth. The six-speed in the 500L should make for better highway. And that will give it the "best in class" rating for sure. You know, I'm really obsessed with this now. Hurry up Fiat. Release the hounds. Er, the mpg.

Fiat500USA
06-08-2013, 11:12 PM
I predict you'll know everything very shortly, so stay tuned. Remember, everything is done to get maximum exposure and media play. Nothing can be left to chance.

ciddyguy
06-08-2013, 11:35 PM
Fiat has been saying that the mpg will be "best in class". Since the obvious competitor is the Mini Countryman, it's figures are 27/35/30 for stick:
http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=32934&id=33028&id=33273

I added the Abarth for it's engine, and the Honda Fit too. Honda Fit is 5 speed though, as is the Abarth. The six-speed in the 500L should make for better highway. And that will give it the "best in class" rating for sure. You know, I'm really obsessed with this now. Hurry up Fiat. Release the hounds. Er, the mpg.

My point is, that for a car that weighs north of 3200#, 36 or so MPG highway would be considered very good in most estimations, let alone a small motored car with a turbo.

That said, there WAS a time when a typical family car like a 3rd gen Honda Accord (I had one once) got, at best 32 Highway with a 2.0L 4, with around 120HP with a 5spd manual, but without the later 16V technology (though in some trims it did have fuel injection, as mine had since it was the top flight LX-I sedan).

Even so, I'd be grateful if my next car got better than the Mazda, and could go over 300 miles on a tank between fill ups, highway and be fun while doing so, like my Mazda.

Andree
06-10-2013, 08:52 PM
I predict you'll know everything very shortly, so stay tuned. Remember, everything is done to get maximum exposure and media play. Nothing can be left to chance.

This coming weekend? On the 15th. Right before Father's Day.

Ford just shot their numbers over to the EPA for their 2014 Fiesta.

Fiat Curious
06-11-2013, 03:37 PM

Fiat of Clear Lake in Texas posted this photo yesterday of what appears to be preparations for the Fiat 500L official introduction:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=506701829394880&l=769273de8a

When is this event scheduled to take place?