PDA

View Full Version : o_0

keefer-c
06-05-2013, 03:55 PM
I was perusing another thread here., and saw someone posting from "Ambient Thermal Management", and saw that you guys were located in NJ... Upon further investigation, it turns out you guys are pretty close to me... Do you guys have a brick and mortar store front/shop?

WegoFaster@Ambient Thermal Management
06-05-2013, 08:11 PM
I was perusing another thread here., and saw someone posting from "Ambient Thermal Management", and saw that you guys were located in NJ... Upon further investigation, it turns out you guys are pretty close to me... Do you guys have a brick and mortar store front/shop?

Negative Ghost Rider.... That doesn't mean we can't meet up if you need something.

Jjm4life
06-05-2013, 08:55 PM
Meanwhile, in the batcave... Lol

keefer-c
06-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Negative Ghost Rider.... That doesn't mean we can't meet up if you need something.

Ah, okay. I was sort of hoping to maybe see the "resident" Abarth... I may purchase something in the future, but I am really waiting for a true stand alone tuning application to do anything (plus my girlfriend would kill me if she found out I even thought about doing anything to this vehicle).

The only thing I was "debating" doing was possibly installing an intake... but even then I am hesitant (I went way over board with the modifications on my old car and it became quite miserable to drive).

Anyhow, it's cool to know there is an enthusiast Abarth parts supplier near... I seldom see Fiats, let alone Abarths...

Ryephile
06-06-2013, 10:40 AM
....but I am really waiting for a true stand alone tuning application to do anything ....

I admire your ambition. Standalones are getting tougher to implement with CAN & SPI dominating intra-vehicle data transfer. The simplest way to do a standalone is to gut the dashboard and do AIM MXL et al or analog gauges. Also, you'll need good wisdom in tuning the valve lift strategy, unless you don't mind leaving a whole bunch of fuel economy and drivability on the table.

It'll be a significantly better value to wait for an ECU flash, even one that simply cranks up the boost. There are much better cars to play around with a standalone at this stage of the game.

shagghie
06-06-2013, 11:37 AM
I admire your ambition. Standalones are getting tougher to implement with CAN & SPI dominating intra-vehicle data transfer. The simplest way to do a standalone is to gut the dashboard and do AIM MXL et al or analog gauges. Also, you'll need good wisdom in tuning the valve lift strategy, unless you don't mind leaving a whole bunch of fuel economy and drivability on the table.

It'll be a significantly better value to wait for an ECU flash, even one that simply cranks up the boost. There are much better cars to play around with a standalone at this stage of the game.

I was in one of these at the last autocross, and it had a decent stand-alone tune set up, but he had the main ecu on the floor in the passengers seat, so it was my job during the run to remember NOT to step on it. That was only possible when I was not too busy pulling tire rubber out of my teeth and holding the oh sht handle. Early Hondas are one thing though...and MultiAir's ....quite another. I'd wait for an ECU tune as well.... especially one from ATM. And ESPECIALLY if they are close to you!

keefer-c
06-06-2013, 03:10 PM

Ryephile
06-06-2013, 03:34 PM
F-SAE is good resume' material, do it if you can.

Just for perspective, you do realize that OEM programming is "cookie cutter", right? It has to pass emissions and any 3rd party performance test while accommodating the breadth of anticipated assembly and break-in tolerances. Perhaps I'm just annoyed right now, but the whole concept of a "proper" tune versus "cookie cutter" is really just internet ignorance, or an unwillingness to understand the specific system in question. A "proper" tune is entirely in the [hopefully educated] opinion of the calibrator and the data they choose to measure and use, and that applies to OEM too.

Some jackwad can barge in an opine that 11.8:1 AFR is the only acceptable AFR for WOT, but he's likely not paying any attention to fuel makeup, swirl, tumble, flame propagation and speed, EGTs, or anything else except what he read from an equally ignorant fool on a forum somewhere. The OEM's are modelling and verifying the combustion event across all RPM and load ranges. Then, they have to adapt that to the emission, fuel economy, and longevity factors, however that order of priority changes depending on load and manufacturer opinion. The aftermarket commonly disregards most or all of those factors to obtain more peak power, or area under the curve for the smarter demographics.

More power to you if I'm preaching to the choir, and if you have the chops [and time] to implement a full tuning suite.

keefer-c
06-06-2013, 04:49 PM
You're right. You win.

Ryephile
06-06-2013, 09:33 PM
You're right. You win.

Huh? I thought we were having a good dialog here! At no time was I trying to shoot you down. If you can develop a standalone ECU for this engine, you'll have the market cornered. That's a great position to be in.

keefer-c
06-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Huh? I thought we were having a good dialog here! At no time was I trying to shoot you down. If you can develop a standalone ECU for this engine, you'll have the market cornered. That's a great position to be in.

Well, I originally wrote a somewhat lengthy reply, but I wasn't quite sure how to take your post. I'm not one for confrontations, so I just passed.

In any case, creating a standalone would take an entire team of developers who have tons of experience with this type of stuff. I remember waiting for the Hondata Flashpro to be released -- it was an extremely lengthy process trying to "crack" the ECU (and we're talking about a company that made stand alone ECU platforms prior). Regardless, I'm still going to check it out. Cars were what made me enthusiastic about the whole engineering thing in the first place, so I will see what I can accomplish with my limited free time. Sometimes you never know where pipe dreams and heavy ambition will lead you...

F1AT
06-07-2013, 01:19 PM
I feel like someone with a good chunk of time, and Megasquirt could easily accomplish a fully functioning, tunable 'standalone ecu'
Just wouldn't be something you could bring to the dealership, or really much of anywhere, side those who are gurus of Megasquirt.
And would basically, be a go cart, with a lot of CAN, etc features not working.

This has basically been a pointless post, I'm sorry. :P

Though those fellas at DIYAUTOTUNE make good money just selling premade kits that are able to plug into a vehicles factory loom.

Ryephile
06-07-2013, 01:25 PM
I did go check out Evans Tuning. The guy does seem to know his stuff and has lots of experience. He would be a good asset to the community if there were an open-source or stand-alone solution.

FWIW, the processor in our ECU is a [IMO] excellent 32-bit MCU, of course I'm biased since I work for the company, LOL. If there was a software guru that could reverse the 500's code, using the stock ECU would be more powerful than anything in the aftermarket, plus all the base code, tables, and modifiers would already be there. The only downside I can see is the limited market space makes the proposition more hobby and less money-machine [akin to the early MINI years, nothing like the Honda scene].

Though those fellas at DIYAUTOTUNE make good money just selling premade kits that are able to plug into a vehicles factory loom.

LOL, no sweat, you're just thinking out loud.

Yes, the Megasquirt backbone is very handy and modular, but IIRC all the current applications for their PnP use old school analog signals for the gauge cluster [i.e. no CAN IPs]. This makes the whole stand-alone ECU thing much easier than with the Fiat, unfortunately for us. That's not to say it's a reasonable solution for a dedicated track-car, where you don't mind gutting the dash and doing your own gauges.

keefer-c
06-07-2013, 01:26 PM
I feel like someone with a good chunk of time, and Megasquirt could easily accomplish a fully functioning, tunable 'standalone ecu'
Just wouldn't be something you could bring to the dealership, or really much of anywhere, side those who are gurus of Megasquirt.
And would basically, be a go cart, with a lot of CAN, etc features not working.

Yes, but any good utility would be able to stock back to the OEM flash in a few seconds. That was the beauty of Flash Pro... When I had my car tuned, the tuner actually provided me with 2 flashes. One for every day driving that was a bit more conservative, and one for the track. Plus you could keep it plugged in and monitor the vehicle in real time, or data log. This would let you make adjustments on the fly (launch control for instance), and monitor important things like coolant temp, cylinder knock counts, etc. etc.

keefer-c
06-07-2013, 01:29 PM
I did go check out Evans Tuning. The guy does seem to know his stuff and has lots of experience. He would be a good asset to the community if there were an open-source or stand-alone solution.

FWIW, the processor in our ECU is a [IMO] excellent 32-bit MCU, of course I'm biased since I work for the company, LOL. If there was a software guru that could reverse the 500's code, using the stock ECU would be more powerful than anything in the aftermarket, plus all the base code, tables, and modifiers would already be there. The only downside I can see is the limited market space makes the proposition more hobby and less money-machine [akin to the early MINI years, nothing like the Honda scene].

Yea, he is a pretty cool guy. The thing is, if a stand alone was released for this car, he would embrace the community pretty quick. He did so with the Honda community after the release of Flash Pro.

Also, seeing that you're based out of Detroit, I'm presuming you're an engineer at a company related to the vehicle sector?

keefer-c
06-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Also, I just had an idea that may make this stand alone idea a bit more realistic....

Perhaps a few well worded emails to the appropriate companies attempting to coerce them into considering designing a platform for the Abarth...

Won't work you say? Yes, probably not -- but there could be an incentive.

I'm sure if one of these companies considered it, and put together a budget and started a KickStarter campaign it may actually come to fruition.... Hrm?

Ryephile
06-07-2013, 01:47 PM
It won't hurt to ask!

F1AT
06-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Yes, but any good utility would be able to stock back to the OEM flash in a few seconds. That was the beauty of Flash Pro... When I had my car tuned, the tuner actually provided me with 2 flashes. One for every day driving that was a bit more conservative, and one for the track. Plus you could keep it plugged in and monitor the vehicle in real time, or data log. This would let you make adjustments on the fly (launch control for instance), and monitor important things like coolant temp, cylinder knock counts, etc. etc.

Well yes, Megasquirt can do all of those things and more, aside from flash back to stock, as there is no longer a stock ecu :)

F1AT
06-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Also, I just had an idea that may make this stand alone idea a bit more realistic....

Perhaps a few well worded emails to the appropriate companies attempting to coerce them into considering designing a platform for the Abarth...

Won't work you say? Yes, probably not -- but there could be an incentive.

I'm sure if one of these companies considered it, and put together a budget and started a KickStarter campaign it may actually come to fruition.... Hrm?

Not that I own an Abarth, but this is a great idea.
I can't see why a company like APR, etc wouldn't truly consider it when the risk of making money on it
has already been calmed with a big ticker on kickstarter with what they're expected to get once the product is made.

keefer-c
06-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Not that I own an Abarth, but this is a great idea.
I can't see why a company like APR, etc wouldn't truly consider it when the risk of making money on it
has already been calmed with a big ticker on kickstarter with what they're expected to get once the product is made.

Exactly. They could set a goal that is comfortable for them, and there would be zero risk involved. And I'm sure once they figured out the ECU, it would be available to all trim levels.

MAZ
06-11-2013, 09:18 AM
(This is the part where ATM jumps in the thread and announces they have a tune coming out this summer!)

TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management
06-11-2013, 01:45 PM
(This is the part where ATM jumps in the thread and announces they have a tune coming out this summer!)

What would be cooler is IF we were going to provide tunes with a handheld programmer... Hmmm:nod:

MAZ
06-11-2013, 02:37 PM
What would be cooler is IF we were going to provide tunes with a handheld programmer... Hmmm:nod:
I will buy a tune from you any which way you want to get it in my car, handheld programmer, wax it on, pour it in, spray on tune, whatever!

Abarth Phreak
06-11-2013, 08:15 PM
Im still waiting for an SRT Stage Version for my AHBARTH. If its appropriate, those hacks will hack it! (MOPAR FOR LIFE) bigok

Jjm4life
06-11-2013, 08:22 PM

Will you guys just take my money already

Crossfirecat
06-11-2013, 11:42 PM

Please stop teasing us! I think I may put the ATM logo on my credit card, lol, it's my official "ATM goodies card" after all. :thumbsup:

MAZ
06-12-2013, 08:38 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-luW7Gd6mnW8/T0dryalmENI/AAAAAAAAAzQ/HcmM7JGWuR0/s1600/shut-up-and-take-my-money-gif.gif