PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone changed their own spark plugs on the 500 or Abarth?

Leotxn
06-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Just wondering how difficult it is to change them DIY or is it just better to take it in when it is due for the change. I've done it on other vehicles but just curious if anyone out there has done their own and could provide any hints or details, thanks.

Felnus
06-04-2013, 09:17 PM
I've not done it but it would seem that actually taking off the covers and the airbox and associated tubing (assuming a stock intake) would be the most hassle. Once all that is out of the way, the coil packs and plugs are right on top of the engine and easy to get to.

Leotxn
06-05-2013, 06:59 AM
Thank you! I'm coming up on my 32,000 mile mark soon so I will take a look at doing it.

dylansi
06-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Has anyone thought about 1 step "colder" plugs on our cars. I know from my Honda days this was a very common thing to do.

06-07-2013, 05:34 PM
I haven't done them on a 500 yet, but as the other posters mentioned - it's going to be as easy as removing the engine plastics and intake on a four-banger. Do make sure you use some anti-seize one the plugs, and die-electric grease on the cables.

You've done it before, so I'm sure you know already, but one other good trick is to thread them into the head using a piece of rubber hose to be absolutely certain it's not cross-threaded. :)

06-15-2013, 11:21 AM
Ive not changed them but taken them out to inspect them. Easy job, and could easily be done in under 20 minutes. Look out for the Denso iridium tipped plugs, MUCH cheaper and great product too!

Abarth Phreak
06-16-2013, 03:12 PM
I haven't done them on a 500 yet, but as the other posters mentioned - it's going to be as easy as removing the engine plastics and intake on a four-banger. Do make sure you use some anti-seize one the plugs, and die-electric grease on the cables.

You've done it before, so I'm sure you know already, but one other good trick is to thread them into the head using a piece of rubber hose to be absolutely certain it's not cross-threaded. :)

Good tips. Be careful though as some plugs (not necessarily these) actually are made of materials that do not require or recommend anti-seize products. Also check first. Also, you can use the socket with an extension instead of a hose to hand thread a few turns...point is to be extra careful. Also, do NOT over torque the plugs when reinstalling them.

slvr68
11-20-2014, 07:46 PM
Good tips. Be careful though as some plugs (not necessarily these) actually are made of materials that do not require or recommend anti-seize products. Also check first. Also, you can use the socket with an extension instead of a hose to hand thread a few turns...point is to be extra careful. Also, do NOT over torque the plugs when reinstalling them.

Just did the change myself, and all the feedback here was great. Job overall took about 30 minutes, being careful to note location of hoses, clamps, wiring, etc.
Remove the air filter housing, Pop the top cover off the engine (secured with rubber boots/sockets) and remove three 8mm screws in the engine block, located at 9 o'clock, 3 o'clock and 12 o'clock, relative to the cover and out front facing the engine compartment. The back screw at 12 o'clock is tough because there is very little vertical clearance to get your ratchet in there. Remove the hose at the back of the cover before you lift it out. Disconnect the tension clamp at 2 o'clock on the hose feeding into the cover, and remove the small hose at the front of the cover (oil reservoir breather hose) by pulling it off the oil fill reservoir spout (left side), not the other side (right) where its zip tied.

Once you lift this cover off the plugs are revealed, right on top. I R&R'd each plug individually to insure that I didn't cross up my wiring for the plugs. (And yes, you have to disconnect the plug wiring from each boot before you can remove it fully from the hole) If you don't have the special spark plug socket (rubber boot inside to hold plug securely in the socket) you can use a long 5/8" socket, or you can get away with a long 17mm socket, which is what I used. Because the plugs are deeply recessed in the top end, again, if you don't have the spark plug socket, you'll need a long magnet to get the plug out of the recess after you unscrew it. Worked great for me.

No anti seize grease is needed for the plug threads. Use dielectric grease for the contacts on the top of the plugs, just like from the factory. And that's it. Just put everything back in the way you took it out and your good. Pretty easy DIY if you have the tools. And as for the plugs, picked them up off of ebay for $25. Factory approved NGK's in a Fiat pack of 4, ready to go....hope this helps.

babelhoo
11-20-2014, 08:57 PM
Done mine last week, was quite easy, especially in my 500 Sport as I already have the RRM intake (so the stock airbox is not there, saved me 5 minutes :) )
Once the air filter is out of the way, no need to undo any other bolts, as there are no HT leads, just remove the plug of each coil (you have to slide a yellow thingy securing each plug in the coil), then remove a single bolt that holds the coil to the head, then just pull. if my memory is not failing, I believe the plug needs a 16mm socket, it's quite deep, so an extension is also required. My only problem, especially with my big hands, was getting the old plugs out once lose, I ended using an old HT lead to "fish" for the plug. Slide the new ones, hand tight, then a half turn with the ratchet (it feels right and it says so in the original plugs box).

Robert Nixon
11-22-2014, 12:19 PM
slvr68
thanks for the write-up, and welcome to the forum!

desmomini
11-25-2014, 01:33 PM
Just curious, for those who have changed them, how worn were your electrodes? Can't help thinking Fiat's schedule of 32,000 miles is a bit aggressive, but if the plugs are worn, they're worn. I tend to think of plugs in need of replacement looking like this:

SeaDawg
11-25-2014, 01:40 PM
Just curious, for those who have changed them, how worn were your electrodes? Can't help thinking Fiat's schedule of 32,000 miles is a bit aggressive, but if the plugs are worn, they're worn. I tend to think of plugs in need of replacement looking like this:

Personal Opinion. I'd say that photo displays the other extreme from what FIAT recommends. I would be upset if I pulled that left hand plug out of MY engine.

JackandSue
11-25-2014, 02:20 PM
Ebay offers a special extended spark plug socket that works well.

gfurneri
11-25-2014, 03:42 PM
any rec on best plugs to use? I'm thinking of doing it this weekend? I had my abarth for a month, and I don't think there was anyway the dealer did this on their own before I bought the car.

gundam2000
11-25-2014, 07:00 PM
I have heard that only the factory plugs work correctly. Also there is no colder plug available that will fit.

Tweak
11-26-2014, 12:00 AM
any rec on best plugs to use? I'm thinking of doing it this weekend? I had my abarth for a month, and I don't think there was anyway the dealer did this on their own before I bought the car.

NGK is what it comes with and most like but Denso plugs have be used successfully as well. Eurocompulsion carries both.

Jered
12-23-2014, 10:08 AM
NGK is what it comes with and most like but Denso plugs have be used successfully as well. Eurocompulsion carries both.

I replaced the plugs in my sport with the denso plugs. Today the abarth will be getting them.

Not sure there is any noticeable improvement to the butt dyno but at $32 for a set. It's a good price.

Not to take the top of the abart off. Which looks a little more intimidating than the sport model but can't be that bad.

bryanintowson
12-23-2014, 10:24 AM
Had mine replaced at the dealer with OEM MOPAR (NGK) units as per maintenance schedule requirements. I'm absolutely paranoid about changing plugs myself. I refuse to be the guy that snaps off a plug in the head and renders his formerly working car into a paperweight on his own driveway.

But that's just me!

sportchamp1
01-24-2015, 06:51 PM
I am having trouble removing the plastic connector that attaches the plug to the coil. I am trying not to break it, can anybody help.

Tweak
01-24-2015, 07:14 PM
I am having trouble removing the plastic connector that attaches the plug to the coil. I am trying not to break it, can anybody help.

I can't walk out to check it exactly but you should be able to slide the tab (think it is yellow) backwards I think then press/lift and pull.

It's been awhile and there are some other clips I might be remembering but I think they are the same basically.

sportchamp1
01-24-2015, 08:47 PM
thanks, I will give it a try

Curtisc83
01-25-2015, 09:49 PM
I just changed out my sparkplugs and coils today and it was super easy. I was a little nervous before hand but after I bought a torque wrench and a 5/8 deep socket made specifically for sparkplugs I was set.

abarth1984
01-26-2015, 12:06 AM
what is the good gap (oem gap )for the spark plug ??

Curtisc83
01-26-2015, 12:11 AM

Pretty sure it's .024

Tweak
01-26-2015, 12:12 AM

This help? http://pub43.bravenet.com/faq/show.php?usernum=3629891555&catid=9937#q12

For my Abarth with the UniChip it is .024 if I recall, some went with 23 instead of 24 though.

txswabby
06-01-2016, 04:34 PM
I just finished changing the plugs on my 2013 500 Pop and your description was right on. I was a bit confused as how to release the connectors on the coils but did
figure it out after awhile. Use a deep spark plug socket to retain the plug taking out and putting new ones in. Thanks for the very good description of what I had to do.

Mark Kayser
06-26-2016, 04:33 PM
This help? http://pub43.bravenet.com/faq/show.php?usernum=3629891555&catid=9937#q12

For my Abarth with the UniChip it is .024 if I recall, some went with 23 instead of 24 though.

From the 2013 manual for 500

Spark Plugs - 1.4L/1.4L Turbo
Engine
We recommend you use MOPAR Spark Plugs (Gap 0.026in [.65 mm])

ice445
09-26-2016, 10:27 PM
Anyone know what the torque spec for plugs are on the 1.4? I prefer to use my torque wrench for this sort of stuff.

SeaDawg
09-27-2016, 03:05 AM
Anyone know what the torque spec for plugs are on the 1.4? I prefer to use my torque wrench for this sort of stuff.

As I recall, 12 ft/lb.

working247
07-13-2018, 12:50 PM
Instructions on changing spark plugs on a Fiat 500 (and saving $200 if done at dealer) are very good.
I would only add a thought and suggest a couple of tools as a must. Watch YouTube video 1st, the yellow clips are fragile if not released properly. The tools; a small flat head screw driver to release the yellow clips and tool kit magnet to lift the spark plugs out of the head.
Amazing little cars.

Robert Nixon
07-14-2018, 08:54 PM
working247

welcome to the forum! I'm looking at moving to Carmel/Noblesville some day, hope you like the area!

Dax-n-his-fiat
07-17-2018, 02:42 PM
I've already put this on one thread so... sorry lol
But I did my own spark plugs at home at 32k, I'm now nearing 60k so they need to be done again. My dealership told me that the car needs to be re-programmed with new plugs, in order to tell the car to "fire hotter"... ~$40 at home, $180 at the dealer.. has anyone else heard of this? The car seems to running just fine without the "re-program"

Robert Nixon
07-19-2018, 09:34 PM
That doesn't sound right to me, although I'm not a FIAT technician or anything like that. I changed my own plugs around 30K, no "re-programming" or anything, and like you I'm ready to do it again now that I'm around 60,000 miles with no issues.

SportLaserBlu
07-19-2018, 09:44 PM
the newer models are 100,000 miles and by that time you should have traded it in on a new one