PDA

View Full Version : Brake Fluid Question

redred
06-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Is there really a difference in all these different brake fluids?? I keep seeing different people running all sorts of different brake fluids and I have to wonder if there is really any value to it? I understand the differences in Dry/Wet Boiling Points and differences in DOT3 vs DOT4, etc. That being said, there are a ton of different options out there.

Anyone here upgraded their stock brake fluid on their Abarth? If so, which product did you choose and why? (I realize I may be opening a can of worms here - Dino vs Synthetic debates anyone???)

2Cool
06-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Almost as bad as what wax to use or what is the best oil, heh.

I personally use Valvoline synthetic as it works great for daily use with some autocross and open road fun. It is very affordable so flushing out the system doesn't make your wallet squeal.

There are a lot or really good race fluids out there, such as Motul. But keep in mind that race fluids are intended to be changed often, so they give up some water resistance and in fact are very hygroscopic (absorb water like a freaking sponge), in exchange for their higher boiling points etc. The idea is that you will flush the system fairly regularly and it won't be an issue. Not so good for daily use as they can cause corrosion in the system as they grab water out of the air. Similar problem as race brake pads for daily driving since you never get them to operating temps, so they brake worse than cheap chinese pads on your work commute.