PDA

View Full Version : On the fence, looking over...

Chico Valdez
06-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Hey all!
The new guy, what do I say about myself? Car nut, motorcycle nut, plane nut (especially old piston-driven prop-jobs), almost anything with a motor nut, just plain nutz! Got more than a few questions, some even about the Fiats!

As the title says, I'm straddling the fence on a new Abarth, or maybe a Turbo. Locally the prices are good, the 500 seems to be a fun little car with good manners and a reasonable appetite for liquid gold, but I'm not ready to pull that trigger just yet.
It all hinges on the application of just a skosh more power.
Now, I know these li'l cars aren't all about 'area under the curve' power-wise, but if you've lived with one of the 'late' (80's/90's) model Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds and the like, how does this compare as a daily driver?
Especially if you're running a piggy-back or ecu of some other sort of engine management?

Obviously a fun go-kart with a roof...
I've several avenues open to me at the moment car-wise, just trying to get some sort of opinions/personal experience...
Yeah, I know it's subjective...
:indecisiveness:

Tweak
06-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Welcome to the forum!

As low in power as the Abarth is compared to so many cars out there if you've driven one you've likely realized it is in some ways far more fun! I have an intake and TMC ECU mod and it screams, this Saturday a non modded Abarth was following me and mentioned how no matter what I kept pulling away from him...it adds another layer of fun with the mods for sure!

Mr. Man
06-05-2013, 04:40 AM
Welcome to the forum!

As low in power as the Abarth is compared to so many cars out there if you've driven one you've likely realized it is in some ways far more fun! I have an intake and TMC ECU mod and it screams, this Saturday a non modded Abarth was following me and mentioned how no matter what I kept pulling away from him...it adds another layer of fun with the mods for sure!

And we don't even have a real tune yet! From what I've gathered, our cars love bolt ons. :encouragement:

Tweak
06-05-2013, 09:54 AM
And we don't even have a real tune yet! From what I've gathered, our cars love bolt ons. :encouragement:

I look forward to seeing what a "real" tune can offer, then these mods get some real serious benefits! :D

Chico Valdez
06-05-2013, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys!
I've been tooling around the 'net looking for as much info I can gather on these motors, doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there concerning engine management. I've played with Ford 5.0 (windsors) 2.3 Turbo's and a very little bit with the mod dohc motors enough to just be dangerous to my wallet. (I used to play with MoPars but they got expensive during the nineties.)
One thing I've noticed with Ford is they left so much 'cushion' in their software, for warranty and durability concerns I'm sure. If Fiat/Chrysler is anything like Ford, they've done so as well.
Like you, I'd love to see a stand-alone for this car, I really don't think 210 tp 230 is out of range, but the driveline might suffer. Like with the TurboFords, (SVO/Merkur XR4Ti/Turbocoupe T-bird/Cougar) the problem when guys get greedy for low-end gains and the weakest link is the stock (9 inch) clutch.
I don't mind seeing the gains at 4k to redline, but so many want full boost at 2200. They enjoy replacing headgaskets I suppose.
Looking around this forum I've not seen (or just missed) anyone discussing the fuel strategy. Especially in regards to airflow increases. I'm used to having a mass air meter of some sort. So I'm a bit at a loss to how we compensate for airflow increase without it. Are we dependent solely on the WBO2? And does the ecu on these merely increase pulse-width or fuel pressure or both?
Also, fuel pressure, is it regulated by the pump or is it a regulator with a return line?
The sales-people at the dealers don't know any of this, so far.
Thanks guys will be asking more stupid crap as time goes on...

Mr. Man
06-09-2013, 03:48 AM
Low end boost and torque never seemed to make sense to me. If I hit boost quicker, mpg would suffer from day to day use, and who dips down to 2200 rpm at the track?! That said, I do like how the Abarth drives like a car with a much bigger engine. People are shocked when they learn the engine is the size of a milk jug :rofl:

Berliner
06-09-2013, 04:26 AM
Chico V the Berliner here...... I bought my Abarth 51 Days ago I finally hit the 1800.00 Mile Mark. IMHO you can sit on the Fence wreck your Brain ... on buying an Abarth just like you can sit on the Fence building up the Courage to talk to that fine Woman at the End of the Bar. She might be right for you she might not be.....
they Way Abarth Sales are going you might pick up an Abarth cheaper than buying Drinks for that Girl at the End of the Bar all Year.

Since you are in Florida I would say a Drink is $ 15.00 in a Hip Bar times 112 Days to get out of the House....... that's $ 1680.00 to get rejected .......

LOL.... now take the $ 1680.00 divide it by the Fun Factor aka poor Mpg in an Abarth while you have Fun on the Road.... that is 77.41 .......rejections from that fine Girl at the End of the Bar........

Ladies pardon me if my Post was not political correct ....... my Analog Mind works in strange Ways......

V if you want an Abarth buy one...... at least you can say your owned one.....

If it turns out the Car is not right for you...... oh well Life is short......... at least you did not miss out ....... on your Dream Car.....

Do not be afraid of the Gear Heads here on this Forum...... they have a lot of Tolerance some go overboard .....with there Cars...... but they never judge you......on your Happiness owning a Fiat......

Mr. Man
06-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Chico V the Berliner here...... I bought my Abarth 51 Days ago I finally hit the 1800.00 Mile Mark. IMHO you can sit on the Fence wreck your Brain ... on buying an Abarth just like you can sit on the Fence building up the Courage to talk to that fine Woman at the End of the Bar. She might be right for you she might not be.....
they Way Abarth Sales are going you might pick up an Abarth cheaper than buying Drinks for that Girl at the End of the Bar all Year.

Since you are in Florida I would say a Drink is $ 15.00 in a Hip Bar times 112 Days to get out of the House....... that's $ 1680.00 to get rejected .......

LOL.... now take the $ 1680.00 divide it by the Fun Factor aka poor Mpg in an Abarth while you have Fun on the Road.... that is 77.41 .......rejections from that fine Girl at the End of the Bar........

Ladies pardon me if my Post was not political correct ....... my Analog Mind works in strange Ways......

V if you want an Abarth buy one...... at least you can say your owned one.....

If it turns out the Car is not right for you...... oh well Life is short......... at least you did not miss out ....... on your Dream Car.....

Do not be afraid of the Gear Heads here on this Forum...... they have a lot of Tolerance some go overboard .....with there Cars...... but they never judge you......on your Happiness owning a Fiat......

I love these posts.

ReconTopher
06-09-2013, 09:14 PM
That was one of the strangest posts I ever read.

Chico Valdez
06-10-2013, 01:33 AM

And yet, it makes perfect sense! :thumbsup:
And we like Fiats, how could we judge others' automotive pursuits?:laugh2: That's why I like hanging with the little British car club, no attitude. Fun group.

'Liner, I'm also toying with doing a Factory-Five '33, Coyote 5.0, Tremec and IRS... Or a V-8 Miata... Yeah, I'm a gear-head too.
But I'm also a cheapskate, and the li'l Fiat fits the bang-for-the-buck Jones. Plus it's one of the few new cars out there I actually like. I am enamored with the little car.
I have a line on a new loaded-out '12 Abarth, and with the '14's not too far away, they might make a smokin' cash deal. Otherwise I'd just rather have a base '13 Abarth if it's somewhat lighter than the loaded version. 500's aren't moving real fast here right now, and it seems most auto dealers are having a rough time in general. We'll see.
Mr Man, yeah, it's a different discipline, if one wants low-end, go with big displacement, it's the low-hanging fruit of power production. And 160 is great from a sub-100 inch engine. 'Course, when we huff two atmospheres at it it's effectively a 2600...
Jocko Johnson used to say, 'The power's in the fuel...'

Maybe I'll arrange a test-drive in the next couple of weeks...

Mr. Man
06-10-2013, 01:34 AM

They're not as strange as some of the other posts. Talking about fixing stuff then drinking beer; his girlfriend/wife and I'm unsure if they're different people or what LOL and more beer. Then there's driving a semi and seeing what weird sh!t people do in their cars beerchug

djhace
06-12-2013, 08:20 PM
welcome and hope you get an turbo or abarth. so much fun.

it's not all about the power. don't forget to upgrade the driver. ;-)

/stock abarth (here).

Chico Valdez
06-14-2013, 02:12 AM
Hi Dj...
Looking very strongly at the Abarth.
Just would like a li'l more oomph out of one. I understand that Fiat most probably limited the power as a 'cusion' for the rest of the drive-line. No sense in building a car that could have problems and gain a bad reputation unnecessarily.
Upgrading the driver is mandatory! :)
My power preference is not too far fetched. 190/210tq would just be stupid big fun!
I'm used to 220+ to 300 in 3100 to 3400 Lb packages. That's what piqued my interest about these, power to weight!
BTW, every review I've read about these has the same consensus: It's the most fun car they've driven in a long time.:burnout:

Mr. Man
06-15-2013, 03:10 AM
I think with about 220 HP, a lot of fun will be had with these cars. They will be plenty quick and still be DDable

FTY
06-21-2013, 09:36 PM
Hi Dj...
Looking very strongly at the Abarth.
Just would like a li'l more oomph out of one. I understand that Fiat most probably limited the power as a 'cusion' for the rest of the drive-line. No sense in building a car that could have problems and gain a bad reputation unnecessarily.
Upgrading the driver is mandatory! :)
My power preference is not too far fetched. 190/210tq would just be stupid big fun!
I'm used to 220+ to 300 in 3100 to 3400 Lb packages. That's what piqued my interest about these, power to weight!
BTW, every review I've read about these has the same consensus: It's the most fun car they've driven in a long time.:burnout:

Those numbers are already achievable.....decent amount of stuff available for this car. Intake/ECU/Exhaust upgrades will put you at those power levels. Its an incredible rewarding car to drive and push to the limit, between the exhaust note and gokart like handling when modified theres not much out there that compares to it!