PDA

View Full Version : Rrm exhaust quick review video/pics/install

FTY
06-02-2013, 02:42 AM
ROADRACE EXHAUST QUICK REVIEW

First off I really like this exhaust a lot, its turning out to be one of my favorite mods to date, the welds are a work of art to say the least, and the main thing that sold me on this exhaust over the Borla and Magnaflow is that it preserves the stock tone and burbling/popping, popping and burbling has actually increased to a degree the more and more it becomes broken in. The exhaust tips are nice 4" Magnaflows that fit the rear of the car nicely. They fill in the exhaust cutouts a lot better than the stock exhaust. I originally had the suitcase exhaust and its pretty heavy once you get it out of the car(saved 17-18lbs, it is nice with the Scorpion stamping, not sure what I am going to do with it yet...maybe hang it on the wall? They are numbered also which I thought was pretty cool. I didn't consider changing out the exhaust because I think the factory exhaust is one of the best sounding exhausts out there, even better that the wookie scream of my old R32 and on Par with my fabspeed that I had with the 996, but I have the mod bug and wanted something a bit louder, this does it, no resonating, no tinny noise but the same stock tone but louder(tolerably louder). Any HP increase Id assume so but maybe 3hp? I didn't feel any to be honest but the dyno may tell a different tale. The car does seem to breathe a bit better. One of the few negatives is that it will vibrate anything loose on the outside of the car to a degree, my pass tail light was a bit loose and it vibrated. I removed it and re-installed and the vibration is gone. I also have no rear seats and it is abit louder on the inside but its far from unbearable, plus I really like how it sounds, think of it as an enthusiastic stock exhaust, turned up a notch.

PICTURES:

http://www.eurocompulsion.net/RRMVSSTOCK.jpg

http://www.eurocompulsion.net/RRMVSSTOCK1.jpg

http://www.eurocompulsion.net/RRMVSSTOCK2.jpg

http://www.eurocompulsion.net/RRMVSSTOCK3.jpg

http://www.eurocompulsion.net/RRMVSSTOCK4.jpg

http://www.eurocompulsion.net/RRMVSSTOCK5.jpg

http://www.eurocompulsion.net/RRMVSSTOCK6.jpg

http://www.eurocompulsion.net/RRMVSSTOCK7.jpg

http://www.eurocompulsion.net/RRMVSSTOCK8.jpg

VIDEO:

http://youtu.be/vBuX6H-YQJc

Had more video of the car at speed but the exhaust/car was drowned out by the wind noise.

INSTALL:

Tools Needed:
-20 torx drive
-10mm socket/wrench
-15mm socket
-rubber mallet(if your car has seen some nasty weather)
-2 flat tip screw drivers or exhaust hanger tool
-2 Jack stands/jack or Lift

Jack up rear of car (safely!!)Place two jack stands under jack points.

REMOVAL:
Step 1- Remove rear diffuser (3 10mm bolts in center) (2- 20torx lower corners) Reach up inside diffuser and push tabs, diffuser should pop off
Step 2- Remove exhaust hanger with flat tip screw drivers (Mine on passenger side had hangers bolted to frame, remove them, 10mm and I believe 12/13mm) Leave one hanger still connected to support exhuast
Step 3- Remove exhaust clamp @ front section where it meets the mid-pipe, undo clamp and pound cat back side with rubber mallet, it will eventually pop off
Step 4- Remove last rubber exhaust hanger, be careful stock suitcase(if you have one) is heavy, drop stock exhaust.

INSTALL:

Step 1- Place hangers that unbolted out on passenger side to new exhaust
Step 2- Insert exhaust into midpipe, leave clamp loose
Step 3- Insert passenger side exhaust into drivers side leave clamp loose
Step 4- Connect all exhaust hangers
Step 5- Replace rear diffuser so you can align exhaust
Step 6- Have someone eyeball the exhaust to make sure its even and tq down the exhaust clamps (good to have someone else help you with this install)

The exhaust hangers can be a total pain, be patient, they will come off, take your time aligning exhaust.

http://www.eurocompulsion.net/RRMVSSTOCK9.jpg

DO NOT CRAWL UNDER THE CAR WITH THE ABOVE JACK CONFIG. THAT WAS DONE FOR PICTURES ONLY.

Special thanks to Greg(DIVS) and Rick for the help with the install and to Scott(ONYXABARTH) for the driving and help with the video.

redred
06-02-2013, 06:06 AM
Nice write up and review! Thanks!

Abarth Five O
06-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Chris, nice review! You're right on the money. This is one of my fav mods too. It actually sounds better over time w/ more snap, crackle and pop.

Tweak
06-02-2013, 10:15 PM
I hate you all....lol. Seriously stop making me want to spend more money I literally do not have available for modding! Love the stock sound and if it could be louder and have more pops and crackles I want it...heard this in person when I met some other owners for the Dragon run and haven't stopped wanting it since!

FTY
06-02-2013, 10:22 PM
I hate you all....lol. Seriously stop making me want to spend more money I literally do not have available for modding! Love the stock sound and if it could be louder and have more pops and crackles I want it...heard this in person when I met some other owners for the Dragon run and haven't stopped wanting it since!

LOL that's what Greg, Scott and Gaetano told me, exact words "I HATE YOU".

Tweak
06-02-2013, 10:30 PM

LOL, couldn't be hated by a better group at least I suppose Chris. :p

Sales@roadrace
06-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Thank you for taking the time to post a review Chris. nice images and video. i shared it on our road race FB page.

Onyx13Abarth
06-05-2013, 04:35 PM
Awesome writeup Chris.

Right on the money with the review. I was very impressed with this exhaust, mainly because I love the stock system (one of the reasons I bought the car).

I think it maintains all the stock qualities with some nice aggression added.
A bit louder, but still something you can live with every day. The tips are perfect.

I keep telling Chris to stop getting cool stuff in. He doesnt seem to be listening. :)

lenswerks
06-05-2013, 10:14 PM
I received mine today.
Thank you Chris!

I was more than impressed with the workmanship.

The double wall tips are built with a lot of precision.

On my scales weighed 10 lbs., 13 oz.

Will be taking the exhaust to Advance Powder Coating tomorrow.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
06-05-2013, 10:39 PM
Mine came in today as well, and after watching the Road Race install video I have a ? They do not show removal of diffuser during install. So is that for the suitcase model or because of the use of a lift instead of jack and stands. I guess it is 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other. Looks fairly simple.
Lenswerks why are you power coating just for looks? I believe it is ceramic coated.

FTY
06-05-2013, 11:17 PM
Mine came in today as well, and after watching the Road Race install video I have a ? They do not show removal of diffuser during install. So is that for the suitcase model or because of the use of a lift instead of jack and stands. I guess it is 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other. Looks fairly simple.
Lenswerks why are you power coating just for looks? I believe it is ceramic coated.

Dave,

If you are working without a lift and you have the suitcase exhaust its a lot easier to get at the rubber exhaust mount bushings, its virtually impossible to get to the top ones on the drivers side with the suitcase exhaust. Its a little more work for a little more reward(less weight :)). Gimmie a ring if you have any issues with the install.

Jjm4life
06-05-2013, 11:35 PM
Well now i want one. The tips alone are worth it. Such an improvement

lenswerks
06-06-2013, 05:10 AM

Yes, for the look.
Powder coating black.

Onyx13Abarth
06-06-2013, 07:56 AM
Yes, for the look.
Powder coating black.

interesting.....please post pictures of the finished product...

06-06-2013, 12:29 PM
I found the stock suitcase system to be a pain to remove and a hefty amount of H2O in the suitcase. So even more weight reduction than expected. I tried to drain after removal and it does not want to come out just sloshes around in there

Jjm4life
06-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Chris is a bad influence. Ordered mine cant wait to get it.

shagghie
06-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Are those 100mm tips, or? They look great!

lenswerks
06-06-2013, 05:53 PM

I should have the exhaust back in 2-3 weeks and will post some snaps.

I went with satin black powder coating, entire axle back exhaust + two clamps $150.

FTY
06-06-2013, 11:17 PM
I found the stock suitcase system to be a pain to remove and a hefty amount of H2O in the suitcase. So even more weight reduction than expected. I tried to drain after removal and it does not want to come out just sloshes around in there

You too huh? Mine has been in the basement for 2 weeks at least and its still occasionally pissing out water. Glad you got it out ok.

Chris is a bad influence. Ordered mine cant wait to get it.

Ive been getting a lot of that lately....Ill take it as a compliment :) I have the Mod virus...apparently its contagious...LOL

Are those 100mm tips, or? They look great!

4" or 101.6 mm ;)

I should have the exhaust back in 2-3 weeks and will post some snaps.

I went with satin black powder coating, entire axle back exhaust + two clamps $150.

Yes please post pics!!

Small&Wicked2013
06-06-2013, 11:46 PM

Dave you gonna come by the Studio so I can hear your new exhaust?

djhace
06-07-2013, 01:36 AM

hah. now, stop it. :-)

Abarth67
06-07-2013, 06:53 AM
Sounds and looks fantastic. Makes me want one. The stock system sounds so good though, kinda like trading your girlfriend for her slightly wilder twin sister ;)

Onyx13Abarth
06-07-2013, 07:09 AM
Sounds and looks fantastic. Makes me want one. The stock system sounds so good though, kinda like trading your girlfriend for her slightly wilder twin sister ;)

:rofl: That is excellent...!

06-07-2013, 09:11 AM
Kinky! and YES

Sales@roadrace
06-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Thank you again Chris for all you do. From the honest reviews, to the constant customer support. Loving it. You sir, are the man

-dc

Sales@roadrace
06-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Also, to add to this thread, you are GUARANTEED to see an improvement in power delivery over stock and here's some reasons why...

You see here in this picture the OEM exhaust and our exhaust.

Things to notice:
1. Increased overall diameter for increased flow.
2. Efficient flow of our Y bend as opposed to the OEM "T" bend to also increase flow
3. The exhaust kinks and bends from the OEM unit at the beginning of the muffler have been ditched with our design that does not incorporate such bends.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8494/8343893994_de4e71d407.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadrace/8343893994/)

keefer-c
06-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Sort of off topic -- does anyone know if those Rally Armor mud flaps require any drilling to install, or are they strictly bolt on?

Disregard: found the other thread.

Exhaust sounds good.

Jjm4life
06-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Can't wait to get mine installed

FTY
06-10-2013, 10:08 AM
FYI I am having one issue with this exhaust........

..................................what to do with the stock muffler....I keep tripping over it where ever I put it....I've moved it three times....and tripped over it half a dozen times already.

Abarth67
06-10-2013, 10:17 AM

..................................what to do with the stock muffler....I keep tripping over it where ever I put it....I've moved it three times....and tripped over it half a dozen times already.

Hang it on the wall, great wall art.

shagghie
06-10-2013, 12:38 PM

Sell it to one of the guys on the other forum that is complaining about how loud his 2013 exhaust is!

RoadRace
06-10-2013, 04:13 PM
2013s are louder than 2012 open systems?

ROAD/RACE

Tweak
06-10-2013, 11:14 PM
2013s are louder than 2012 open systems?

ROAD/RACE

Think that was pure sarcasm, from all I have read and heard they sound the same, just the 2012 has the extra weight.

RoadRace
06-11-2013, 09:25 AM
OK. Thought so but had to check..... Thnx

ROAD/RACE

Jjm4life
06-13-2013, 12:17 PM
exhaust just arrived with a giant hole in the box leaking out newspaper shreads with every inch it was moved. ups guy = unamused. luckily, it was wrapped very well, so no damage to the exhaust itself.
welds look great. clamps seems strong. and i love the look of the tips.

should have it installed by 4pm est.

Jjm4life
06-13-2013, 02:39 PM
ok its on

install notes: took about 15 minutes. didnt even bother to remove the "diffuser". quick and easy.

looks: love it. worth the price of admission just to get rid of those dual wall tips. i may end up adjusting it more to sit the tips further back, but i like it for now. im picky, i might never make up my mind on that one.

sound: sounds the same. no louder really. might burble a bit more, but not by much

performance: again, no real improvement. might slightly quicker, but im sure its plecebo effect.

overall, im happy. not sure what more i could have expected from bent pipes replacing bent pipes. since theres no muffler, its not like there should be a drastic change. but i like it. the look is more or less what sold me. quility built piece for sure.

FTY
06-13-2013, 04:10 PM
ok its on

install notes: took about 15 minutes. didnt even bother to remove the "diffuser". quick and easy.

looks: love it. worth the price of admission just to get rid of those dual wall tips. i may end up adjusting it more to sit the tips further back, but i like it for now. im picky, i might never make up my mind on that one.

sound: sounds the same. no louder really. might burble a bit more, but not by much

performance: again, no real improvement. might slightly quicker, but im sure its plecebo effect.

overall, im happy. not sure what more i could have expected from bent pipes replacing bent pipes. since theres no muffler, its not like there should be a drastic change. but i like it. the look is more or less what sold me. quility built piece for sure.

Glad your happy...wait for the exhaust to break in a bit..it gets a bit more snotty after a few heat cycles and the ECU adapts to the better flow.

Jjm4life
06-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Cool cant wait. Now i want a better "diffuser" that visually lowers the rear like arqray but they haven't returned a single one of my emails

RoadRace
06-14-2013, 10:33 AM
We have the best diffusers so ..... Exhaust does work better than old. IF you have open one to begin with, expect the exhaust to really come to life when you get other mods like our intake and ECM. From there, the Exhaust supports the setup and works in concert so that you can boost more and spool up quicker. It is not night and day but then no exhaust is night and day. That said, it is the best bang for the buck out there for exhaust. Just a little louder but the same sound even if you were someone that had a muffler type Abarth exhaust like we had from our early 12' exhaust. It is a race exhaust for discussion's sake but it is not too loud. Save your money and do not get a catback. If you get a CB, you will really feel that you wasted money. This is worth the money but it is only one piece of the set of parts one should have under the hood.

ROAD/RACE

Gaetano
06-14-2013, 11:55 AM

chris is the worst influence in the world! My daughter's college fund might be gone by the time she's ready to go away to school!

Gaetano
06-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Just had my RRM Exhaust installed yesterday. Eurocompulsion did a fantastic job as usual. It sounds amazing. Nothing crazy. It heightens and amplifies the stock exhaust. All in all Im super happy. It's louder, deeper, much lighter considering I had that 9000 pound suitcase exhaust and it fills in the diffuser cutouts so much better. All the welds are of great quality and tips look fantastic!!!! Soooooooo much better than stock. RRM did a great job with this!

Abarth Five O
06-23-2013, 03:38 PM
It'll sound better over time i.e. nicer rappier tone from 3k to 5k rpm from 2nd to 3rd. :-)

RoadRace
06-25-2013, 03:36 PM
It does have character. The sound is so cool.

ROAD/RACE

Jjm4life
06-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Quick update. Couple hundred miles on it now, and the exhaust does sound different. Not much louder and a little bit angrier. Still looks 10x better than the stock one too. Very happy now.

shagghie
06-25-2013, 04:07 PM
Quick update. Couple hundred miles on it now, and the exhaust does sound different. Not much louder and a little bit angrier. Still looks 10x better than the stock one too. Very happy now.

Sounds just about right for what I'd look for in an exhaust too, congrats! Any increases in backfires between WOT shifts (not let off gurgles/pops, but just between shifts)?

06-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Me too!
I was waved over today at lunch by a guy in a BMW Dinan model to discuss the sound of the RRM exhaust. He was very impressed with the sound of the car, I saw him jerk his head around when I passed him in traffic. All smiles after we talked cars and I was impressed that his car was 3xs the cost maybe more than mine.

Onyx13Abarth
06-25-2013, 04:26 PM
Along with Gaetano, Eurocompulsion installed the RRM exhaust last weekend.
The look, the sound, the mid range throttle response all enhanced. Much like stock, just so much better!!
The welds are really nicely done, the bends are much more natural and the tips just kinda broadcast to all the people you are passing

Was driving behind gaetano on the way home...sounded real sweet from a few carlengths back
EC did their usual awesome job on the install..could not be happier! :emmersed:

Jjm4life
06-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Sounds just about right for what I'd look for in an exhaust too, congrats! Any increases in backfires between WOT shifts (not let off gurgles/pops, but just between shifts)?

Little bit more. Pops and gurgles more for sure.

Abarth Five O
06-25-2013, 10:53 PM
Occasionally I use it to blast by dumb drivers to make sure they know my Abarth is angry at them.:naughty:

lenswerks
07-03-2013, 10:22 PM

Exhaust back from powder coaters today.
Looks and sounds amazing.

Easy install.

It was getting late so did not drive it yet, just backed it off the ramps.
I'll go for a ride in the morning.

http://s830.photobucket.com/user/lenswerks/library/Facebook/Abarth#/user/lenswerks/library/Facebook/Abarth?sort=3&page=1&_suid=1372903933380038776206761937687

RoadRace
07-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Another happy customer is what we live for. It looks tough by the way. Thanks

ROAD/RACE

lenswerks
07-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Very happy with the exhaust.

Went for another ride early this morning, took some better photos.
The car really woke up on this second outing, running very strong and surprised it holds boost at 21 in this FL heat.

The pics - http://s830.photobucket.com/user/lenswerks/media/Facebook/Abarth-1/1052141_128631724012503_371663945_o.jpg.html?#/user/lenswerks/media/Facebook/Abarth-1/1052141_128631727345836_508391161_o.jpg.html?&_suid=1373133831388037180693903543466

FTY
07-06-2013, 02:34 PM

The car really woke up on this second outing, running very strong and surprised it holds boost at 21 in this FL heat.

The pics - http://s830.photobucket.com/user/lenswerks/media/Facebook/Abarth-1/1052141_128631724012503_371663945_o.jpg.html?#/user/lenswerks/media/Facebook/Abarth-1/1052141_128631727345836_508391161_o.jpg.html?&_suid=1373133831388037180693903543466

Car looks like my opposite, I like it a lot!!! Glad your happy with the exhaust, it really adds another dimension to the car!

Onyx13Abarth
07-22-2013, 12:53 PM

Sorry - have not been on the board much lately
That said...OMG that looks insane!! Awesome idea...nicely executed...

Like you, I have an all black/stealthy thing going on...Love it!

Haring
07-22-2013, 01:43 PM
I love the look of it in black...very, very, nice. Makes it very tempting too.

RoadRace
07-22-2013, 02:54 PM
That does look hot. Gives me an idea too.

ROAD/RACE

redred
07-22-2013, 03:12 PM
Wow that looks sick! Now you just have to black out the door handles!

07-22-2013, 04:53 PM
WOW!!!
That looks great, makes me want to remove mine and powdercoat it.

Onyx13Abarth
07-22-2013, 05:42 PM
WOW!!!
That looks great, makes me want to remove mine and powdercoat it.
I may have to do that as well....

lenswerks
07-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Do It!

Thanks guys!

I had car on rack today and should have take a photo of exhaust under the car as well.
Installed Koni Yellows from EUROCOMPULSION today - WOW what a difference. As Ryan recommended 1-1/2 turns counter clockwise from full firm.

I'll take some under car exhaust photos the next time I have the rear up.

The sound and look of the RRM exhaust is killer and now that the ECU has adapted to the better flow all the more awesome.

Sales@roadrace
07-23-2013, 04:41 PM
with your permission, i'd like to add those pics to our road race facebook page as a customer share. i will remove the license plate lettering also. Car looks really mean. I love it.

-dc

lenswerks
07-23-2013, 06:09 PM
Sure, okay with me.
Thanks.

RoadRace
07-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Thanks. Going to get sicker and sicker.

ROAD/RACE

pk9394
09-29-2013, 12:38 AM
Thanks to Chris and rob shipping the exhaust fast. have it on today.

This thing R.O.A.R.

love it!

Onyx13Abarth
09-29-2013, 07:21 AM
Thanks to Chris and rob shipping the exhaust fast. have it on today.

This thing R.O.A.R.

love it!

Congrats...I love this exhaust, especially with the cooler weather!
Much like stock, just better :)

RoadRace
09-29-2013, 10:14 AM
Great. It is all the exhaust you need and nothing you don't.

ROAD/RACE