PDA

View Full Version : Oil catch can???

NORCAL SS
06-01-2013, 11:01 AM
I run the catch cans in all my other cars helps a lot. does anyone make a catch can kit for the abarth???

Tweak
06-02-2013, 12:00 AM
This thread mentions a potential solution...or it was asked here if it might work as an oil catch can.

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?9679-Aluminum-Coolant-Resevoir-Tank&highlight=catch

ScorpionSkins.com
06-02-2013, 12:07 AM
As I mentioned on that "other" forum:
I've wondered this as well, but it does not appear there is currently a company producing a kit.

I was hoping to contact BSH who has made very reliable and proper build quality catch cans for brands such as Mini.

While not absolutely necessary, I believe in the beneficial properties of a proper catch can setup.

This thread mentions a potential solution...or it was asked here if it might work as an oil catch can.

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?9679-Aluminum-Coolant-Resevoir-Tank&highlight=catch

Thanks Tweak!

Corrnaus
06-02-2013, 12:13 AM
As I mentioned on that "other" forum:
I've wondered this as well, but it does not appear there is currently a company producing a kit.

I was hoping to contact BSH who has made very reliable and proper build quality catch cans for brands such as Mini.

While not absolutely necessary, I believe in the beneficial properties of a proper catch can setup.

Thanks Tweak!Below is a post from the Red forum.. He is not selling it but i think just testing one out for a few months. here is the link, if it get deleted so be it.

http://www.fiat500owners.com/forum/5-fiat-500-new-member-introductions/8704-new-fabricator-hitting-fiat-platform-pic-heavy.html

POST #3 is about the catch can

NORCAL SS
06-02-2013, 01:55 AM
catchcans.com going to order that one.

Abarth67
06-02-2013, 11:35 AM
I know a company that is making catch cans. I'll get the info and post later.

Abarth67
06-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Guys, if there is enough intrest, I know of a company that is willing to make catch cans for our cars with the proper brackets and fittings so it is a plug and play deal. I have worked with these guys before and they are a very attention to detail kind of group. The quality of the things they produce is amazing.

http://www.allanglesdesign.com/Products/AirOilSeparators.aspx

If anyone is interested, please PM me and I can get things rolling along. I am looking to get a can installed on my car as soon as I can get to it.

NORCAL SS
06-03-2013, 09:29 AM
i have this one coming which will attach in the front by radiator. I use this one on my other cars works great
http://catchcans.com/catchcanone/fourcolors.jpg

SuperTony
06-03-2013, 09:39 AM
I am ashamed to say I am not quite smart enough to clearly understand what you are all talking about here. Please forgive my ignorance.

Is this incorporated into the oil circulation system before or after the oil intercooler? One of the web links on this post talked about the coolant system but I suppose we are not looking at that application for our cars, yes? Can someone offer some more info? I want to understand.

2Cool
06-03-2013, 09:57 AM
I am ashamed to say I am not quite smart enough to clearly understand what you are all talking about here. Please forgive my ignorance.

Is this incorporated into the oil circulation system before or after the oil intercooler? One of the web links on this post talked about the coolant system but I suppose we are not looking at that application for our cars, yes? Can someone offer some more info? I want to understand.

It is installed inline with the PCV system to catch oil vapors that are created by valve train action (and valve seal blowby on worn cars), as well as crank splash and piston blowby. Normally these vapors are drawn out by intake manifold vacuum and flow back to be burnt in the combustion process. With direct injection motors there is a lot of concern about oil/carbon buildup on the intake valves since there is no "washing" effect like in older engines where the injectors are spraying into the cylinder over the valve. So people use a baffled catch can to separate the oil before it is drawn back into the motor, then regularly empty it.

Do a Youtube search for catch can. Also, be sure to look at baffled cans, as the non-baffled ones are not nearly as effective.

Ryephile
06-03-2013, 10:08 AM
I run the catch cans in all my other cars helps a lot. does anyone make a catch can kit for the abarth???

Do you mean in addition to the stock one? Take a look under the stock air-box and you'll see a multi-baffled catch-can. It collects oil and water vapors from the PCV, separates them, sends water vapor to the turbo compressor inlet and oil droplets back onto the valvetrain.

dylansi
05-21-2014, 01:49 PM
Bringing this back.

Tony did you ever install that catch can?

AudiGuy
05-21-2014, 03:05 PM
Do you mean in addition to the stock one? Take a look under the stock air-box and you'll see a multi-baffled catch-can. It collects oil and water vapors from the PCV, separates them, sends water vapor to the turbo compressor inlet and oil droplets back onto the valvetrain.

Um, I dont think thats a catch can, That looks more like a distribution point for CCV. Are you sure thats actually considered a catch can? I just ordered the AAD W1 like Trevc posted in his build thread. I have a plan for running it back to the intake. Ive ordered all the parts, so now I wait for mail.
:lala:

lammie200
05-21-2014, 03:10 PM
...Are you sure that's actually considered a catch can?...

If it is I would say that it does a poor job. My AAD is inline after that plenum box and catches oil on my NA. My guess is that you will also get good results with the turbo.

dylansi
05-21-2014, 03:21 PM
I have oil residue in my intake so I know a catch can would be of some help. Searching for the AAD kit nowzers.

AudiGuy
05-21-2014, 03:35 PM
If it is I would say that it does a poor job. My AAD is inline after that plenum box and catches oil on my NA. My guess is that you will also get better results with the turbo.

Fixed. I plan on running the can into an oil water separator (after the can) to see how much gets missed by the can. Can should be here Friday.

dylansi
05-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Fixed. I plan on running the can into an oil water separator (after the can) to see how much gets missed by the can. Can should be here Friday.

Link? Or something I can see for where you ordered.

AudiGuy
05-21-2014, 04:11 PM
Link? Or something I can see for where you ordered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200978358367?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

musicsurf
05-21-2014, 04:26 PM
Um, I dont think thats a catch can, That looks more like a distribution point for CCV. Are you sure thats actually considered a catch can? I just ordered the AAD W1 like Trevc posted in his build thread. I have a plan for running it back to the intake. Ive ordered all the parts, so now I wait for mail.
:lala:

It's an air / oil separator. In essence, a catch can. Does it work well? Not really.

dylansi
05-21-2014, 04:26 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200978358367?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

dancingsmilies

musicsurf
05-21-2014, 04:36 PM
Oh, FYI that can is ADD not AAD. Just wanted to say that it's not our can.

dylansi
05-21-2014, 04:50 PM
Do you make a can/kit?

gtntahg
05-21-2014, 04:56 PM
Can someone post pictures of an installed catch can please? This looks like something I can use. I'm most interested in the oil tube routing and can placement.

musicsurf
05-21-2014, 05:03 PM
Do you make a can/kit?

It's not out yet, but we make a can and are working on fitment for the car. I've run it on both the makeup air line (what causes oil in the intake) and the pcv line (oil in the intake manifold and back of the intake valves) and you get way more blow by on the pcv side. We're making it so you can choose where you want to plumb it into. The problem with the pcv side is that since the pcv valve is in the crankcase the can will see boost - bad - unless you put a check valve in. Check valves unfortunately don't cut it and will still let some boost through on occasion. This even includes the Boomba which I've tried. That's the part of the fitment we're still working on as we want the pcv valve relocated to the clean side of the can so that it still does double duty and blocks boost before the can and also doesn't get gummed up so that it still functions perfectly regulating air when the manifold is in vacuum.

lammie200
05-21-2014, 05:09 PM
Oh, FYI that can is ADD not AAD. Just wanted to say that it's not our can.

Sorry, I have been freakin' that up consistently.

AudiGuy
05-21-2014, 05:45 PM
It's an air / oil separator. In essence, a catch can. Does it work well? Not really.

Yup. Sorry about the typo (AAD) was working at the time.

AudiGuy
05-21-2014, 05:47 PM
It's not out yet, but we make a can and are working on fitment for the car. I've run it on both the makeup air line (what causes oil in the intake) and the pcv line (oil in the intake manifold and back of the intake valves) and you get way more blow by on the pcv side. We're making it so you can choose where you want to plumb it into. The problem with the pcv side is that since the pcv valve is in the crankcase the can will see boost - bad - unless you put a check valve in. Check valves unfortunately don't cut it and will still let some boost through on occasion. This even includes the Boomba which I've tried. That's the part of the fitment we're still working on as we want the pcv valve relocated to the clean side of the can so that it still does double duty and blocks boost before the can and also doesn't get gummed up so that it still functions perfectly regulating air when the manifold is in vacuum.

So what does the stock "can" use to keep it from seeing boost pressure? Couldn't we just ditch fiats catch can and put our own in?

dylansi
05-21-2014, 05:49 PM
So what does the stock "can" use to keep it from seeing boost pressure? Couldn't we just ditch fiats catch can and put our own in?

Same thing I was thinking. Tear all that crap out and replace with a more functional unit.

musicsurf
05-21-2014, 07:08 PM

The PCV valve. It's blocks the flow of boost prior to the stock AOS and crank case. You could replace it, but it attaches directly into the valve cover. If you remove it you'll be left with a relatively large hole and have to plumb three lines back into the crank case.

Corrnaus
05-21-2014, 07:23 PM

Keep up the good work. I am also looking to purchase a kit once its all complete. Not sure if I have the confidence to do it myself from scratch. Read the CCV bible a few times and fell like I have a pretty good understanding of the purpose and need for one of these on our cars.

AudiGuy
05-21-2014, 08:13 PM
The PCV valve. It's blocks the flow of boost prior to the stock AOS and crank case. You could replace it, but it attaches directly into the valve cover. If you remove it you'll be left with a relatively large hole and have to plumb three lines back into the crank case.

Maybe a replacement valve cover with fittings to run 10 AN lines to the intake

zyxelenator
05-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Can valve be replaced with hollow T with 3 connections for hoses, that will screw in instead of valve? Just an idea. Also if 1 check valve does not hold 100% of boost, what if you use 2 check valves connected in line?

musicsurf
05-21-2014, 11:10 PM
Can valve be replaced with hollow T with 3 connections for hoses, that will screw in instead of valve? Just an idea. Also if 1 check valve does not hold 100% of boost, what if you use 2 check valves connected in line?

The way we are solving the problem is, we feel, the best solution without reinventing the wheel. PCV valves aren't particularly complicated parts, but they are purpose built and modulate to regulate the amount of air dumped into the intake manifold (from the crank case) based on vacuum. Check valves are, for all intensive purposes, on off.

AudiGuy
05-22-2014, 08:55 AM
The way we are solving the problem is, we feel, the best solution without reinventing the wheel. PCV valves aren't particularly complicated parts, but they are purpose built and modulate to regulate the amount of air dumped into the intake manifold (from the crank case) based on vacuum. Check valves are, for all intensive purposes, on off.
Check this out Mike. I picked up one of these.
http://store.034motorsport.com/check-valve-1-8t-2-7t-aan-pcv-billet.html
Its the only billet PCV valve that I know of. With a 1" port before the air filter you should be able to plumb this in. You were referring to the make up line needing a valve correct? Since there is already one prior to Fiats poor excuse for a catch can. I picked up one of these to make that happen.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201093960456?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

musicsurf
05-22-2014, 10:01 AM
Check this out Mike. I picked up one of these.
http://store.034motorsport.com/check-valve-1-8t-2-7t-aan-pcv-billet.html
Its the only billet PCV valve that I know of. With a 1" port before the air filter you should be able to plumb this in. You were referring to the make up line needing a valve correct? Since there is already one prior to Fiats poor excuse for a catch can. I picked up one of these to make that happen.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201093960456?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The make up air line does not need any kind of valve. It needs to be able to flow both ways, pulling in fresh air under vacuum and letting pressure escape the crankcase while the car is in boost.

AudiGuy
05-22-2014, 10:25 AM
The make up air line does not need any kind of valve. It needs to be able to flow both ways, pulling in fresh air under vacuum and letting pressure escape the crankcase while the car is in boost.

Thanks, I guess I misread you. I couldnt see the make up line seeing boost. But with this valve I should be able to keep the can from seeing pressure at its inlet. Where were you guys planning on installing the valve, just before the inlet of Fiats can? Or prior to the new cans inlet?