PDA

View Full Version : Pulling rear rubber seal= lots less heat

NORCAL SS
05-30-2013, 01:10 AM
Works on my cts-v and works on this car also. I pulled the rear rubber seal that goes against the hood in the back and closed it and turned on the car and you can feel the hot air just come out. Put it back in and drove about a 3 miles round trip came back home and put my hand on the hood right above the oem intake area and you could feel how warm it was. Ended up after pulling the rear rubber seal went on same ride came back and put hand on hood and was deff. cooler.

Once i get my car off jack stands I will get my heat gun and test this out. On the cts-v there was a 32 degree temp change in the engine compartment by pulling off this seal. I'm wondering what it will do for this car?

Also due to the hood design unless your spraying water into the cowl will have a hard time getting in but yes more dust gets into the engine compartment but deff worth a mod to try out and a free mod at that. I might just cut little 2 inch strips out along the cowl so that way will help not as much dust to get into the compartment and at same time letting the hot air out.

Ill keep you guys updated!!

Abarth Five O
05-30-2013, 02:49 AM
Would you compromise moisture protection by potentially allowing water to get into unwanted areas in the engine bay i.e. ecu, electrical, etc.?

NORCAL SS
05-30-2013, 03:04 AM
this is why im planning to cut sections out. Also going to put it to the test with a hose over the weekend. Car is parked inside and wont see much rain.

FTY
05-30-2013, 08:42 AM
this is why im planning to cut sections out. Also going to put it to the test with a hose over the weekend. Car is parked inside and wont see much rain.

It will definitely work well, just be careful where the holes are placed IE away from the ECU that's directly underneath it.

NORCAL SS
05-30-2013, 09:34 AM
ill be testing all thiis stuff prob over the weekend. HOod closed with water hitting from front toward the back cowl then spraying water on windshield see how much gets in there

Tweak
05-30-2013, 10:13 PM
I recall a Florida resident saying he got water somehow from a rain storm that killed his ECU and he was not that I can recall modified in any way, FIAT did not cover the unit under warranty last I read of it although I suppose they may have eventually resolved it for him. I think the unit was said to be rather costly so anything that might allow water under the hood is worrisome at the least.

shagghie
05-30-2013, 10:16 PM
chk out supertonys build thread... he found some great spots in cowl and a good way to keep water out too...

SuperTony
05-30-2013, 11:20 PM
After reading Norcal SS's thread I walked out into the garage and took a pair of scissors and cut my hood seal into three pieces that i can put on - take off as I see fit. Works like magic. If I want to have it 100% I just re-insert the mid section.

i am kind of chuckling to myself that this is so simple and brilliant.

deathshead
05-31-2013, 10:48 AM
I recall a Florida resident saying he got water somehow from a rain storm that killed his ECU and he was not that I can recall modified in any way, FIAT did not cover the unit under warranty last I read of it although I suppose they may have eventually resolved it for him. I think the unit was said to be rather costly so anything that might allow water under the hood is worrisome at the least.

Did this guy subarmine his car? Sounds like a fluke that he would get waterin the ecu connectors. Have you guys seen the connectors when off the ECU? huge rubber seals in there.

deathshead
05-31-2013, 10:52 AM
This does sound like a good idea. I don't think water should be too much to worry about back at the cowl, unless there is a way for it to get down into the HVAC hole.

Tweak
05-31-2013, 11:04 AM
Did this guy subarmine his car? Sounds like a fluke that he would get waterin the ecu connectors. Have you guys seen the connectors when off the ECU? huge rubber seals in there.

It was said to be sitting in his driveway. Still puzzled over the how and why of it.

WegoFaster@Ambient Thermal Management
05-31-2013, 11:11 AM
We are measuring over a 20*F increase in temperature between the intercooler outlet and MAP sensor. All of the engines heat flows directly over the intake manifold and down the firewall before it exits hence the hot "high pressure" air in the engine compartment. We are data logging and working on some bulletproof offerings around these issues.

nerdvana
05-31-2013, 03:33 PM
If you want to reduce the underhood temperature, why not use a turbo blanket?

There will be less heat in the engine compartment and no risk of additional dirt or water getting where it shouldn't.

NORCAL SS
05-31-2013, 03:50 PM
turbo blanket comes in tommorrow.

SuperTony
05-31-2013, 03:54 PM
Norcal - you will love the blanket. It is pretty cool.

I finally feel that I have engine compartment temps under control after;

1. PTP Turbo Blanket
2. Cutting the rubber seal
3. Ventilation holes through the cowl
4. Hood scoop

It still gets ungodly hot but the heat has somewhere to go and fresh air pushing it out now.

NORCAL SS
05-31-2013, 04:03 PM
yah should be nice. Im just waiting for the atp turbo to come in.

SuperTony
05-31-2013, 04:13 PM
Looking at the geometry of the hood overlap I do not worry much about some water running back in the small area I have the rubber removed. Plus, with the heat I have under my hood getting a little (or even a lot) water in there is not much of a worry for me.

deathshead
06-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Heres a little sneak peak at my solution for underhood temps. :)
Then with perhaps a blanket, rear seal, etc.. We might be in a good spot.
http://i40.tinypic.com/vy1tfo.jpg

Abarth Five O
06-02-2013, 09:42 PM

I'm also considering those great looking and functional R/R CF Assetto Corsa vents to significantly reduce under hood temps, but first need to determine an effective way to minimize water/debri intrusion, especially the heat extractor side being right over the battery/ecu, before pulling the trigger. Look forward to seeing your install.

NORCAL SS
06-02-2013, 09:43 PM
i put the blanket in today nice change.... pulling the seal tomorrow to see what happens.

deathshead
06-03-2013, 08:47 AM
I'm also considering those great looking and functional R/R CF Assetto Corsa vents to significantly reduce under hood temps, but first need to determine an effective way to minimize water/debri intrusion, especially the heat extractor side being right over the battery/ecu, before pulling the trigger. Look forward to seeing your install.

Water im not TOO worried about at all, everything is sealed well We will see where the water hits.
My biggest concern was Leaves, acorns, etc. since i live in a heavily wooded area.
I will be using a black vinyl mesh on the heat extractor side to stop any debris from getting in there.

Install writeup coming soon,
Ill be doing the sparco hood pins just like the AC cars too.

Abarthman
06-03-2013, 12:27 PM

Deathshead, you and I have identical cars, except I have the black wheels. Same paint, stripes, checkerboard roof, and (soon) Assetto Corse hood scoop & vent. I do now have carbon fiber-styled mirror caps...

luckymoi
06-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Until I see some measurements I am unconvinced that trapping heat under the hood with more insulation is a good idea.
I would think venting the heat is, however, a good idea.
But maybe not...
Show me the science.

SuperTony
06-03-2013, 01:16 PM
I think I have a little more heat buildup than most peeps (paranoid?) - I am brainstorming an experiment but I will have to let that percolate in my brain before going deeper.

I CAN report one interesting experience though - last weekend, on a cool morning I was out doing some goof around driving... just testing a new setting on the wastegate actuator (took it to 11 threads). After some spirited driving out in the country I settled into a slow drive to enjoy a coffee and take in the morning air. I opened the sunroof and was rolling just less than 10 miles an hour .... and noticed a steady stream of hot air rolling into the sunroof when my left arm hanging out the window was cold. You guessed it - the furnace air was coming straight from under my hood and over the car since I had removed a 12 inch section of the hood seal to vent the heat.

This was a great 'hands-on' type validation for me.

Abarth Five O
06-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Water im not TOO worried about at all, everything is sealed well We will see where the water hits.
My biggest concern was Leaves, acorns, etc. since i live in a heavily wooded area.
I will be using a black vinyl mesh on the heat extractor side to stop any debris from getting in there.

Install writeup coming soon,
Ill be doing the sparco hood pins just like the AC cars too.

I think the black vinyl mesh is a good idea even for the NACA vent. Installing it with Velcro might make it easier to remove/clean out the debri. I now see why most of the Trofeo Abarth Assetto Corse race cars have these vents as it is probably the most efficient way to vent and extract hot air from this terribly hot running car. The Sparco hood pins would look killer too. Look forward to your review.

deathshead
06-10-2013, 08:32 AM
48hours of torrential non stop rain.
car parked nose down for 10hrs at work in this storm.
Drove 26 miles to and from work in same storm.
popped hood multiple times to check = NO WATER.

Lots of heat coming out of there though!
I went to the car wash and backed the car out of the bay and the heat was making the windshield fog up :)

I call Shenanigans on this mysterious guy in Florida with the ecu that was destroyed.
He had to of drove through a REALLY deep puddle, or something completely outrageous.
the ecu is sealed.

Abarth Five O
06-10-2013, 01:00 PM
48hours of torrential non stop rain.
car parked nose down for 10hrs at work in this storm.
Drove 26 miles to and from work in same storm.
popped hood multiple times to check = NO WATER.

Lots of heat coming out of there though!
I went to the car wash and backed the car out of the bay and the heat was making the windshield fog up :)

I call Shenanigans on this mysterious guy in Florida with the ecu that was destroyed.
He had to of drove through a REALLY deep puddle, or something completely outrageous.
the ecu is sealed.

Look forward to seeing your install of the NACA and heat extractor hood vents on another thread.

shagghie
06-10-2013, 01:35 PM
Until I see some measurements I am unconvinced that trapping heat under the hood with more insulation is a good idea.
I would think venting the heat is, however, a good idea.
But maybe not...
Show me the science.

If you are referring to the turbo blanket, it doesn't trap heat under the hood, rather it helps the heat leave faster out of the exhaust, where it 'belongs'. The cold side of the turbo stays cooler, and the hot side hotter, so the turbo runs more efficiently with the hotter exhaust gasses trapped and spinning the blades faster and sooner. The heat, instead of radiating off of the turbo housing everywhere, instead is blown out through the exhaust, creating a faster moving exhaust flow overall. It's all good, in other words, and it really does keep the heat down in the engine bay, especially around the turbo inlet and manifold, where we need the most help.

SuperTony
06-10-2013, 01:42 PM
I love that now when I get out of my car I can walk around front and touch the hood right above the turbo it feels cold (ambient) like any other metal body panel.

deathshead
06-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Look forward to seeing your install of the NACA and heat extractor hood vents on another thread.

coming soon!
shooting for next weekend install.
just ordered some touch up paint for the edges today

Abarth Five O
06-10-2013, 08:12 PM
coming soon!
shooting for next weekend install.
just ordered some touch up paint for the edges today

Sweet! Will stay tuned for sure.

NORCAL SS
06-11-2013, 12:59 AM
i dont understand why people were bashing my idea when i put this post up. If it works on my 750 rwhp ctsv it will work on this car lol

deathshead
06-11-2013, 08:44 AM
i dont understand why people were bashing my idea when i put this post up. If it works on my 750 rwhp ctsv it will work on this car lol

I got your back Norcal, there are no issues with this mod.
this is another example of people talking crap and assuming when they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

I think I have said this before,and I'll say it again.
being cautious is great, but don't sit here and piss on my head and tell me its raining on my engine. ;)

We went through the same thing with the ATM HCI intake too, all these morons came out of the woodwork flapping their stupid gums about how all the water gets in there.. Bravo Sierra and they were proven wrong consistently.

Oh and another update, It rained for almost another 48 hrs. HARD, that hard deafening straight down large drop rain that over flows your pool and gutters non stop. I have Video of it even,

Popped the hood this morning and you guessed it, DRY.

NORCAL SS
06-11-2013, 09:23 AM
im just trying to help the community thats all. I wonder what people will say when i pull off the head and have it cncd later this week.

deathshead
06-11-2013, 09:32 AM
im just trying to help the community thats all. I wonder what people will say when i pull off the head and have it cncd later this week.

I gotta get in YOUR line of business $Hustler$.. lol

NORCAL SS
06-11-2013, 09:42 AM
i just bust ass at work and a overtime whore lol

BigT
06-11-2013, 09:48 AM

ported and polished? Curious to see how everything looks prior to getting it cncd see if you can get some pictures :)

mr_robs
06-23-2013, 11:46 PM
Did this same thing on my R32, great for underhood temps, never had water issues ever.

The only thing one of my friends brought up was that the cowl area is a high pressure zone, and by removing the seal you lessen the pressure in that zone. His concern is that with the engineering of the pressure zones and cooling system it could force the radiator to work harder during operation.

Anyone know a decent amount about high pressure zones/have thoughts on this?

shagghie
06-24-2013, 02:21 AM
Did this same thing on my R32, great for underhood temps, never had water issues ever.

The only thing one of my friends brought up was that the cowl area is a high pressure zone, and by removing the seal you lessen the pressure in that zone. His concern is that with the engineering of the pressure zones and cooling system it could force the radiator to work harder during operation.

Anyone know a decent amount about high pressure zones/have thoughts on this?

ATM do, it's pretty much "what they do"...

Im running the HCI, and even so I chose to remove a 16" portion of the seal on the far right side.
all sorts of heat comes out of it, even feel it with my hand out the window.

no noticible drop in performance in terms of hot air behind the cowl on the far right side.
it flows out towards the drivers side while the passenger side still takes in high pressure cold air.

IAT's stayed the same on the same day, same run.

Eurowned
06-24-2013, 09:40 PM

Get the stock ports flowbenched and then after CNC porting too. Post up your findings I am curious to see how the stock ports flow and what the gain is with porting.