PDA

View Full Version : Diameter of stock Abarth exhaust.... 1.8"??? (and some tips on tips)

shagghie
05-29-2013, 11:55 PM
Weird, so I was just out measuring the end diameter of our stock exhaust (2013 Ab), and was able to measure the diameter of the pipe sections after the 'T' that splits to each exhaust tip. To my surprise, the diameter was only between 1.75 and 1.80 inches. Eyeballing it from the side with a straight-edge ruler, I eyeballed 1.75".
Thinking it must be an optical illusion, I grabbed a tape measurer, and wrapped it around the circumference and got about 5.75", which divided by π (pie) = 1.83".
I thought we had a 2" pipe from cat back?

Also for those curious and thinking about alternative exhaust tips, make sure you take a close look at what's going on. The 'T' split pipes done line up with the OEM exhaust tip openings in the rear diffusor correctly. To compensate, the factory actually puts a 1" bend in the exhaust tips to get them to line up with the diffusor openings, and to make it worse, the L and R sides are both different in the 'approach' of these pipes (not symmetrical). Put another way, adding after-market tips will require removing the outer 4" metal pieces that are welded onto the inner 2" pipes, and then re-using the 'straight' portion of those inner 2" pipes to attach your after market tips to, and even then, you have to hope those inner pipes of our stock tips are actually pointed straight ...eyeballing them, it appears as though the Left tip inner pipe doesn't even make its way through the outer 4" portion of the tip in a straight fashion!

But back to my sanity check question: is our piping after the T split REALLY only ~1.8" diameter?? #wow. Makes me want to measure upstream of the T split too...which I wasn't able to do tonight in the dark, under a lowered car.

Abarth Five O
05-30-2013, 01:03 AM
Doesn't surprise me. Get rid of it and at least upgrade to R/R's rear axle exhaust w/ 2.25" dia. w/ 4" beautiful SS Magnaflow tips. You'll eliminate a lot of restriction from the OEM piece and immediately feel more HP gain; plus the exhaust note is greatly enhanced and only 10% louder.

shagghie
05-30-2013, 01:34 AM
Doesn't surprise me. Get rid of it and at least upgrade to R/R's rear axle exhaust w/ 2.25" dia. w/ 4" beautiful SS Magnaflow tips. You'll eliminate a lot of restriction from the OEM piece and immediately feel more HP gain; plus the exhaust note is greatly enhanced and only 10% louder.

Someone's been doing his homework! :-) I'm waiting on the megan cat-back system... the prototype on Scorpion King's car is just PHOOOKING amazing sounding in person... just like the stock abarth, but MOAR, and a lot more pissed off too. really crazy actually...

Seafarer61
05-30-2013, 02:07 AM
All of this explains my signature. Italian cars have their fair share of...shall we say, design quirks?

One would of thought after seeing the exhaust layout end result, someone with some juice at Fiat would have responded, "ah...no fellas....clean that mess up."

Abarth Five O
05-30-2013, 02:38 AM
Someone's been doing his homework! :-) I'm waiting on the megan cat-back system... the prototype on Scorpion King's car is just PHOOOKING amazing sounding in person... just like the stock abarth, but MOAR, and a lot more pissed off too. really crazy actually...

Look forward to seeing more on the Megan CB exhaust and other systems coming on board.

zonker
05-30-2013, 03:30 AM
We're talking pipe diameter from the cat back?

1.8"?

My 500 Pop used 2"

My 500T pipe is larger than the Pop so 2.25"? 2.5"

And the main pipe on the T and Abarth are the same diameters I believe, so unless you're talking about after the Abarth y pipe, then two 1.8" pipes will outflow the single 2.5" pipe upstream so there's no restriction to worry about, and probably no power to gain either by going larger (other than sound and "street cred")

Berliner
05-30-2013, 03:38 AM
I am thinking about buying the Madness Exhaust. Does anybody have any F/b on it? I guess the Stock Abarth Exhaust will be a great Piece of Art hanging on my Garage Wall. 1.8 Inches no wonder it takes me so long from Zero to 100.

opiateESP
05-30-2013, 11:17 AM
The 500T is 1.8 from the cat to the flex pipe. Is that the same for the abarth mid pipe?

SuperTony
05-30-2013, 11:25 AM
The Abarth turbo outlet into the cat is 2.5 inches and the cat outlet is 2.25 inches to the mid pipe.

SuperTony
05-30-2013, 11:33 AM
Shagghie - your findings are indeed surprising. My stock 2012 exhaust is hanging on my garage wall - I will take a closer look tonight.

shagghie
05-30-2013, 11:49 AM
I think you may have solved the 'mystery'. Last night I was only measuring the pipes AFT of the Y split in the rear. Since there are two of them after the Y split, suppose that's not much restriction. I wasn't able to get under my car to measure upstream of the Y split. I am curious what our mid-pipe diameter is though, so SuperTony, if you don't mind measuring it for us, it would be a good data point. I know Deathshead believes the mid-pipe is the 2nd most restriction portion of our exhaust, short of the DP.

We're talking pipe diameter from the cat back?

1.8"?

My 500 Pop used 2"

My 500T pipe is larger than the Pop so 2.25"? 2.5"

And the main pipe on the T and Abarth are the same diameters I believe, so unless you're talking about after the Abarth y pipe, then two 1.8" pipes will outflow the single 2.5" pipe upstream so there's no restriction to worry about, and probably no power to gain either by going larger (other than sound and "street cred")

opiateESP
05-30-2013, 12:26 PM
SuperTony, if you don't mind measuring it for us, it would be a good data point. I know Deathshead believes the mid-pipe is the 2nd most restriction portion of our exhaust, short of the DP.

+1

If you do, can you please measure the small portion of pipe before the flex separately.

Zonker, our midpipes are definitely not 2.5". 2.25" at the most (and lets not forget the crushed bends)

SuperTony
05-30-2013, 12:38 PM
Ok gents. I will launch an extensive photo driven analysis of the ABARTH cat back system tonight!

shagghie
05-30-2013, 12:40 PM
Ok gents. I will launch an extensive photo driven analysis of the ABARTH cat back system tonight!

That's because YOU ROCK TONY!

opiateESP
05-30-2013, 12:55 PM
5 points for awesomeness.

Gigante
05-30-2013, 01:06 PM
You guys got to do a search on youtube for Fiat Abarth with a SuperSprint exhaust. This is a full turbo back system and it sounds wicked - a very pissed off little car breathing fire for sure.gr_grin

Maybe this will work? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRR_rp0DM-Q

Enjoy!!!!!!!!

shagghie
05-30-2013, 01:31 PM
You guys got to do a search on youtube for Fiat Abarth with a SuperSprint exhaust. This is a full turbo back system and it sounds wicked - a very pissed off little car breathing fire for sure.gr_grin

Maybe this will work? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRR_rp0DM-Q

Enjoy!!!!!!!!
'
yes, but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$bigok

SuperTony
05-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Thanks Gigante

I remember watching the SuperSprint videos when I was searching for an exhaust. I agree the videos sound excellent but I had a hard time finding products that were available (reference aforementioned impatience here). Hopefully they will increase their distribution in the US soon.

Gigante
05-30-2013, 02:14 PM
'
yes, but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$bigok

Read you load and clear brother...

Gigante
05-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Thanks Gigante

I remember watching the SuperSprint videos when I was searching for an exhaust. I agree the videos sound excellent but I had a hard time finding products that were available (reference aforementioned impatience here). Hopefully they will increase their distribution in the US soon.

Your welcome ST. I did not realize they do not have a USA rep. That may be why I have not seen and adverts from any of the USA vendors for this exhaust. Lot's of options for our cars have not hit the states - in time.

redred
05-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Your welcome ST. I did not realize they do not have a USA rep. That may be why I have not seen and adverts from any of the USA vendors for this exhaust. Lot's of options for our cars have not hit the states - in time.

The Supersprint system is available, just takes a couple of days to get it over here and it's pricey. Full turbo back system though.

shagghie
05-30-2013, 03:53 PM
The Supersprint system is available, just takes a couple of days to get it over here and it's pricey. Full turbo back system though.

But man, the 200cell DP alone is a whopping 1,628.28 USD!
http://www.supersprint.com/public/images/45844.jpg

JackandSue
05-30-2013, 04:54 PM
I bought the $499 Madness exhaust and just love it. much larger pipe. fits well and sounds deeper but not loud enough to offed your fellow drivers unless you nail it :) I had my mech install it but if you do it yourself the oem pipe had a spot weld that had to be taken car of.

I am thinking about buying the Madness Exhaust. Does anybody have any F/b on it? I guess the Stock Abarth Exhaust will be a great Piece of Art hanging on my Garage Wall. 1.8 Inches no wonder it takes me so long from Zero to 100.

SuperTony
05-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Okay - i forgot to take a photo of the full system lying on the ground so I had to photo-chop one. Here is what I measured.

Let me know if you want me to measure any additional spots.

http://www.gruens.com/pix/oempipes.jpg

shagghie
05-30-2013, 09:59 PM
Okay - i forgot to take a photo of the full system lying on the ground so I had to photo-chop one. Here is what I measured.

well that explains why aftermarket exhaust makes mo' power, sheesh!

Nice work man, thx!

opiateESP
05-30-2013, 10:07 PM
That means the Abarth mid pipe is a big upgrade for us 500T guys.

EDIT: Actually, that measurement of the front doesn't look like it's 2.25. It looks like it's inside is 1.8 judging from the picture. The opening of the actual flange is bigger but the lip of the taper where the pipe begins seems to be smaller.

Abarth Five O
05-30-2013, 10:29 PM
Thanks, nice aftermarket rear axle piece for your photo chop. Looks like the MM one.

SuperTony
05-30-2013, 10:57 PM
EDIT: Actually, that measurement of the front doesn't look like it's 2.25. It looks like it's inside is 1.8 judging from the picture. The opening of the actual flange is bigger but the lip of the taper where the pipe begins seems to be smaller.

Yeah - it is 2.25. My wife did not have the camera lined up perpendicular to the tape measure. That's why I typed in all the measurements - she was AWOL with the camera, not paying attention to accuracy. All of the perspectives in the photos with the tape are skewed in the composition.

opiateESP
05-30-2013, 11:09 PM
lol. Thanks for making the measurement. That means the Abarth mid pipe really is an upgrade for the 500T.

FootScoot
05-31-2013, 09:33 PM
I have the $499 Madness axle back too. Fits good and sounds even better. I had a local muffler shop install it. Took about 20 minutes. Mine didn't have the spot weld that was mentioned.

opiateESP
06-01-2013, 06:14 PM

And here's the stock 500t infront of the mid pipe. Outside diameter.

Seafarer61
06-01-2013, 07:02 PM

This photo ought to do wonders for aftermarket exhaust sales. Good lord, what a mess. Did the same folks design the intercooler plumbing as well? :p

Steve-O
08-23-2014, 10:11 AM
is it 1.8" right before the Y also? does it go from 1.8->2 sections of 1.8?

Horizontally-Opposed
08-23-2014, 11:21 PM
I remember stopping by a Porsche shop well known for its 911 headers, and the (very good) welder there making fun of the then-new 2.5-liter Boxster's headers, with its bizarre oval "wine-glass" inlets that exited into awfully small, crude-looking header pipes. When the shop guys were done laughing at Porsche's pitiful, cost-cutting engineering—and done building a beautiful set of stainless headers with gorgeous collectors—they went to a dyno. The car made less horsepower and torque than it did with the ugly stock stuff. I'm still curious about those tulip-like/wine-glass inlets.

The takeaway for me that day was that OEMs know a lot more than independent speed shops, and can spend far more on testing and development of engines and systems. Usually, the only ways the aftermarket can beat the factory is by foregoing customer taste, marketing decisions, cost constraints, or emissions controls. Even then, they often fail to eclipse the factory setup, despite all the hype and moar noise. But it sounds louder. Every now and then, the best aftermarket companies beat the factory, but it is rare in my experience. It seems like this might be one of those cases.

In the case of the exhaust photochop above (thanks for this SuperTony...very cool!), I have to wonder if the diameter variations have to do with the many system variations and experimentations mentioned by the SRT folks on their way to getting the Abarth to perform and sound like it does. And the stocker sure sounds great. There are many areas of the Abarth I'd like to improve. The exhaust isn't one of them—but I stand ready to be amazed by someone's system if the opportunity to really listen to it in multiple situations arises.

pete

Tweak
08-24-2014, 09:54 PM
I remember stopping by a Porsche shop well known for its 911 headers, and the (very good) welder there making fun of the then-new 2.5-liter Boxster's headers, with its bizarre oval "wine-glass" inlets that exited into awfully small, crude-looking header pipes. When the shop guys were done laughing at Porsche's pitiful, cost-cutting engineering—and done building a beautiful set of stainless headers with gorgeous collectors—they went to a dyno. The car made less horsepower and torque than it did with the ugly stock stuff. I'm still curious about those tulip-like/wine-glass inlets.

The takeaway for me that day was that OEMs know a lot more than independent speed shops, and can spend far more on testing and development of engines and systems. Usually, the only ways the aftermarket can beat the factory is by foregoing customer taste, marketing decisions, cost constraints, or emissions controls. Even then, they often fail to eclipse the factory setup, despite all the hype and moar noise. But it sounds louder. Every now and then, the best aftermarket companies beat the factory, but it is rare in my experience. It seems like this might be one of those cases.

In the case of the exhaust photochop above (thanks for this SuperTony...very cool!), I have to wonder if the diameter variations have to do with the many system variations and experimentations mentioned by the SRT folks on their way to getting the Abarth to perform and sound like it does. And the stocker sure sounds great. There are many areas of the Abarth I'd like to improve. The exhaust isn't one of them—but I stand ready to be amazed by someone's system if the opportunity to really listen to it in multiple situations arises.

pete

You have to listen to the sound of a Super Sprint exhaust if you haven't. If I had the $ it is a change I would make but otherwise I agree that the stock sound needs not be tampered with. :)

Horizontally-Opposed
08-25-2014, 11:23 AM
You have to listen to the sound of a Super Sprint exhaust if you haven't. If I had the $ it is a change I would make but otherwise I agree that the stock sound needs not be tampered with. :)

Hmm...

Tweak
08-26-2014, 09:37 AM
Hmm...

Checkout a video from Edwin (Gigante), riding behind him it sounds like a low flying aircraft is about to land on your hood. :D

http://youtu.be/1WLecV0cdaE

When under load it sounds a lot nicer!