PDA

View Full Version : Will 16" OZ Alleggerita clear a BBK?

Giuseppe
05-29-2013, 08:54 AM
I am upgrading wheels right now but would like to prepare for a BBK later. I currently run the stock 17". I'd like to go to a 16" for track wheels, but I'm unsure of BBK clearance on a 16". I have no problem staying 17", but I would like more sidewall if I can. What do you guys know?

Thanks.

Abarth Five O
05-29-2013, 01:13 PM
Howzit Joe! 16s would be cutting it too close for me so I went w/ the Neuspeed 17" ultra light race wheels w/ ample room to spare in case I wanted to install a BBK in the future. Look forward to seeing your latest mods. Aloha!

Giuseppe
05-31-2013, 12:30 PM
Howzit Joe! 16s would be cutting it too close for me so I went w/ the Neuspeed 17" ultra light race wheels w/ ample room to spare in case I wanted to install a BBK in the future. Look forward to seeing your latest mods. Aloha!

Shoots. How much do your wheels weigh Gary? I went with the 17" option. They weigh 14.4lbs. I've got some other goodies inbound too. But I will do the reveal all at once in a few weeks.

Mahalo

Abarth Five O
05-31-2013, 01:19 PM
Shoots. How much do your wheels weigh Gary? I went with the 17" option. They weigh 14.4lbs. I've got some other goodies inbound too. But I will do the reveal all at once in a few weeks.

Mahalo

The NS weigh 16.5 lbs. The OZs are def lighter but more expensive so I went w/ the NS which were within my budget, including new tires: Falken Azenis R615ks. 17s are a smart choice if you're going to upgrade to a BBK. Look forward to seeing all your new goodies! Aloha!

Tweak
05-31-2013, 10:55 PM

Mahalo

14.4lbs in a 17in wheel for the Abarth...this I look forward to seeing!

Giuseppe
06-03-2013, 03:28 PM
14.4lbs in a 17in wheel for the Abarth...this I look forward to seeing!

Abarth Five O
06-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Sweeet OZ As in Italiano Rosso! Look forward to seeing it on your Abarth. You will def have quicker acceleration from the hole shot and out of turns which will translate to lower ETs. You're planning to win all the autox races up there? I'll put my money on a fellow Hawaiian.

shagghie
06-03-2013, 06:03 PM

I'm going with 17's as well (ultraleggera's.... I think). The 15" is still a question mark, though it was my original desire, with the rear torsion bar mount clearance. The 16's are great...but I'm STILL not happy with the tire choices (there are some great ones, but not the ones I want!), and the 17's, while the tire is more expensive to run each time, are probably the best bet at this point in time. I keep waiting for someone to say "I tried 15's of XYZ racing wheel and they WORKED! sigh

Abarth Five O
06-03-2013, 08:01 PM
Shagghie, you're right about the limited tire choices for 16s and 15s, which also factored into my going with 17s in the end. 17s open u up to a lot more choices in street/race tires; plus it gives u more than enough clearance if you decide to go with BBK.

Tweak
06-03-2013, 08:36 PM

Thanks buddy, I have an extra set of 17in Sparco wheels but I think I now have a buyer for them which makes these OZ an attractive potential option down the road! I think I will likely get my springs done, probably with the next week or so and then try to see if I can get the front/rear Neuspeed sways. Then it'll be time to wait awhile again and maybe these wheels factor in shortly after. Much appreciated, doubt I will go for red though. :D

Giuseppe
06-04-2013, 12:16 AM
No problem Tweak. The idea here is to work out all the kinks during shake down sessions. I plan on running this car in sanctioned events soon. So I am basically trying anything I can get my hands on. These wheels seemed to be the best fit. Ideally I would have preferred an 8" wide wheel so I could switch from 225 to 245 without issue. I can always buy a 4x100 8" and redrill later if needed. I want to know what beating these cars can take. So to the limits I go. More parts will come in tomorrow. Stand by for my build thread update.

And tweak, color sets the price for these wheels. Red is cheaper than black for example. Anthracite was the cheapest. Even more so than the 16". Luckily my car is red and white. And for the record, I doubt you need a front sway bar.

Tweak
06-04-2013, 09:13 AM
No problem Tweak. The idea here is to work out all the kinks during shake down sessions. I plan on running this car in sanctioned events soon. So I am basically trying anything I can get my hands on. These wheels seemed to be the best fit. Ideally I would have preferred an 8" wide wheel so I could switch from 225 to 245 without issue. I can always buy a 4x100 8" and redrill later if needed. I want to know what beating these cars can take. So to the limits I go. More parts will come in tomorrow. Stand by for my build thread update.

And tweak, color sets the price for these wheels. Red is cheaper than black for example. Anthracite was the cheapest. Even more so than the 16". Luckily my car is red and white. And for the record, I doubt you need a front sway bar.

I figure the rear bar would be ideal but I sort of thought it might be nice to have front and rear, not yet decided and I def don't want to waste the $ since it is fairly limited, just want a VERY good cornering ability. Thanks, watching as things progress. I think light weight wheels might be better than front suspension...was looking at the Neuspeed wheels but these seem lighter, guess it comes down to price.

shagghie
06-04-2013, 11:39 AM
So this is why I'm a little on the fence about the Ultraleggeras. I'm also kind of curious how the car goes around cones with 215's, which I would feel comfy running on 7.5x17 wheels, akin to the Neu-F's. The ultraleggeras, while light and strong, are only 7". I have an email into Work wheels asking about custom fitment and bolt pattern, but no word back yet. It bothers me to buy new wheels without being able to go with wider rubber as a result. The weight savings alone isn't ALWAYS worth it to me, in other words, and the stock 17" I have at ~19lbs, while not light, aren't heavy either, and are very strong.

Did you check out the Buddy Club options in 4x100? Ideally I'll eventually be able to test fit the 15's on the Abarth. By my own measurements and eyeballing, I think the rear torsion bar will just BARELY fit INSIDE of the wheel cavity, and clear the inner circumference of the wheel by about 3/8". I would need to check to see where the balance weights would be applied to Buddy Clubs first though. But I don't have any plans for BBK...just upgraded pads, so 15" Buddy Guys with some Hoosier's is my dream AX setup at this point.

Giuseppe
06-04-2013, 02:49 PM
I figure the rear bar would be ideal but I sort of thought it might be nice to have front and rear, not yet decided and I def don't want to waste the $ since it is fairly limited, just want a VERY good cornering ability. Thanks, watching as things progress. I think light weight wheels might be better than front suspension...was looking at the Neuspeed wheels but these seem lighter, guess it comes down to price.

I am probably going to design some sort of quick disconnect for the endlinks on my front sway. Much like a Jeep would use off road. I'd actually like to see adjustable front links for the stock bar.

So this is why I'm a little on the fence about the Ultraleggeras. I'm also kind of curious how the car goes around cones with 215's, which I would feel comfy running on 7.5x17 wheels, akin to the Neu-F's. The ultraleggeras, while light and strong, are only 7". I have an email into Work wheels asking about custom fitment and bolt pattern, but no word back yet. It bothers me to buy new wheels without being able to go with wider rubber as a result. The weight savings alone isn't ALWAYS worth it to me, in other words, and the stock 17" I have at ~19lbs, while not light, aren't heavy either, and are very strong.

Did you check out the Buddy Club options in 4x100? Ideally I'll eventually be able to test fit the 15's on the Abarth. By my own measurements and eyeballing, I think the rear torsion bar will just BARELY fit INSIDE of the wheel cavity, and clear the inner circumference of the wheel by about 3/8". I would need to check to see where the balance weights would be applied to Buddy Clubs first though. But I don't have any plans for BBK...just upgraded pads, so 15" Buddy Guys with some Hoosier's is my dream AX setup at this point.

You can run 215 and 225 on a 7" wheel and there should be no issue other than potential fender and strut perch contact. That is about as wide as you can go though. I have not looked in to Buddy Club. My biggest concern was wheel weight combined with brake clearance. I think the wheel I chose was as good as it gets in both aspects. Everything boils down to money. I can have any set of wheels widened or narrowed. But I personally fail to see the value of the investment.

shagghie
06-04-2013, 03:51 PM
I am probably going to design some sort of quick disconnect for the endlinks on my front sway. Much like a Jeep would use off road. I'd actually like to see adjustable front links for the stock bar.

You can run 215 and 225 on a 7" wheel and there should be no issue other than potential fender and strut perch contact. That is about as wide as you can go though. I have not looked in to Buddy Club. My biggest concern was wheel weight combined with brake clearance. I think the wheel I chose was as good as it gets in both aspects. Everything boils down to money. I can have any set of wheels widened or narrowed. But I personally fail to see the value of the investment.

I'm right with you... the allegrittas are hard to beat unless you go custom Japanese, and then you are at 3x the money. If if I can run 215's, I'll be happy on the ultraleggerras....