PDA

View Full Version : I posted this on the Smart forum

danny_1
05-29-2013, 01:18 AM
I was just wondering if anyone here has the same opinion as me? I own a 2008 smart and wanted to buy two of the new electric smarts which just arrived here last week (I even had deposits on both of them). But then i heard about the fiat because I was pretty much giving up on my smart dealer due to lack of any info. Here is a long (I don't recommend reading it unless you wanna be bored) post that I put on the smart forum to try to get some ideas and info on whether I should switch to the 500e from the electric smart.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f170/switching-fiat-49387/

Anyhow, I looked it up and went to the dealer in my area and put a deposit down on 2 of the fiat 500e's. I still have my deposit on the 2 smarts but I am probably going to cancel those tomorrow and just wait for the 500e.

I am not asking anyone to read these boring posts from smart car forum people (unless you wanna cuz sometimes those people are...different...) but basically I wanted to know if anyone here had been considering the electric smart then decided to switch to the fiat? And, if so, does anyone else believe that if you live in California and get this car plus you get a total of $10,000 in tax rebates (assuming you qualify for the entire $7500) then you are getting a car that you could possibly drive for 3 years for free (assuming you count what you save in gas)?

And does anyone think that those of us who buy the first 500e will be able to wait exactly 3 years, then sell it to a state where other people still have to wait 2 or more years for their tax rebate to be totally owned by them before they could sell it (thus giving you an advantage and probably higher selling price)?

Fiat500USA
05-29-2013, 01:30 AM
I was just wondering if anyone here has the same opinion as me? I own a 2008 smart and wanted to buy two of the new electric smarts which just arrived here last week (I even had deposits on both of them). But then i heard about the fiat because I was pretty much giving up on my smart dealer due to lack of any info. Here is a long (I don't recommend reading it unless you wanna be bored) post that I put on the smart forum to try to get some ideas and info on whether I should switch to the 500e from the electric smart.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f170/switching-fiat-49387/

Anyhow, I looked it up and went to the dealer in my area and put a deposit down on 2 of the fiat 500e's. I still have my deposit on the 2 smarts but I am probably going to cancel those tomorrow and just wait for the 500e.

I am not asking anyone to read these boring posts from smart car forum people (unless you wanna cuz sometimes those people are...different...) but basically I wanted to know if anyone here had been considering the electric smart then decided to switch to the fiat? And, if so, does anyone else believe that if you live in California and get this car plus you get a total of $10,000 in tax rebates (assuming you qualify for the entire $7500) then you are getting a car that you could possibly drive for 3 years for free (assuming you count what you save in gas)?

And does anyone think that those of us who buy the first 500e will be able to wait exactly 3 years, then sell it to a state where other people still have to wait 2 or more years for their tax rebate to be totally owned by them before they could sell it (thus giving you an advantage and probably higher selling price)?

Welcome to the forum. I would lease the car for 3 years. The lease price is awesome. I just drove the 500e and it is fantastic! I'll have a review up on the site soon. It is arguably the best 500 yet!

shagghie
05-29-2013, 01:48 AM
Welcome to the forum. I would lease the car for 3 years. The lease price is awesome. I just drove the 500e and it is fantastic! I'll have a review up on the site soon. It is arguably the best 500 yet!

We need a 500E Abarth then!!!
Have we figured our where the resistors are to remove for more power vs. less range yet?
muhahaha!

danny_1
05-29-2013, 02:08 AM
Wow...that is pretty awesome! Ok, I am excited to read your review. So far everything I have read seems very positive.

I would definitely consider leasing it as well but I am just wondering if others thought that buying the car for $20,500 (plus all the extra charges and sales tax and registration fees, etc....assuming you qualify for 100% of both rebates) was worth it?

If I get $10,000 back (even though it will take a year due to the federal gov't rebate not being available til after I file 2013 taxes) then the car will cost me a total of $20,500 plus about $3500 in taxes, etc. This makes the total cost $24,000 for those who qualify for the total rebate.

I currently spend $2500 per year on gas. I drive 40 miles a day (mostly highway at 85mph sometimes). But we have a charger at work so I plan to recharge there almost always. So, if I can say that I am saving about $2000 per year on gas then 36 months will equal $6000 in savings. Now I can say that my out of pocket cash for this car in 36 months is $24,000 - $6,000 = $18,000.

Basically this means that if I sell the car for $18,000 in 36 months then it cost me nothing and the federal gov't and california government gave me tax payers' money so that I could drive an electric car for 3 years?? Plus I think Fiat will give me 0% financing so I could even just pay 1/36th of the car each month.

Does anyone think that it'll be worth it? Or is the lease still better? If you lease it then you pay about $230 per month (after taxes and possibly an upgrade, etc) and $1,000 down. That means 36 months will cost you about $9300 but then you will get $2500 back from California (assuming the fund is replenished). That means that the car will cost you $6800 for 3 years. So....buying it is better if you qualify for the total rebates I think? The only wild card is the amount the car is worth after 36 months. What does anyone think about that? MSRP is like $32-ish thousand now so in 3 months will it be worth $18k ?? If the car is worth less than about $13,000 after 36 months then it would have been worth it to lease instead of buy.

Sorry to ask for opinions about finance. I really do like the way the car looks (in pictures). I never even considered a fiat because I had a smart. But after I saw the regular 500 I really liked it compared to the smart. I like the interior and the look of the car. I like that it has 2 little seats in the back if I absolutely had to drive 4 people somewhere (almost in an emergency....). And of course I prefer the specs vs the electric smart. I have driven the electric smart. In my opinion it is pretty good. If the fiat hadn't been coming out now and the state of california hadn't essentially forced fiat to make this car then I would be driving my 2 electric smarts now.

danny_1
05-29-2013, 02:11 AM
We need a 500E Abarth then!!!
Have we figured our where the resistors are to remove for more power vs. less range yet?
muhahaha!

If that really were possible then it would be a hack that I would definitely pay for even though it cost me my warranty and significantly blew my range. Well...maybe I would wait a year or two before I did that....

Andree
05-29-2013, 04:26 AM
Sounds like you were planning to happily walk down the aisle with the two Smarts when they were no-shows and the sassy Fiat 500e whooshed by.

It took me a year to decide on the Honda Fit, because nothing was really grabbing me back in 2007-2008. The Fit was pretty good, but too big. It beat walking, and my back had become too problematic to be dependable. Later on, the seats in the Fit seemed to make my back problem worse. Not kidding. I looked at the Smart back then, and again looked at it before buying the Fiat.

They wanted about the same amount for the Smart and the Fit back then, and the Smart and the Fiat these days (depending on model, of course). Considering the variables, I feel the Fiat is about the right size for me, it's a good fit. LOL. Not too big, not too small.

You've done your homework on the costs and rebates, and part of you still wants the Smarts. Another part of you really wants the 500e. Not to be the weirdo here, but have you thought about one of each?

You already have a Smart, which you said in the other forum you would be keeping. Not sure why you'd need 3 cars if you can only drive one at a time. If it's part of the "those are MY tax dollars and I want them back", not sure if that's a good reason to buy any car. And if it's just to have several possessions and then to resell them without losing money, that's still not a very good and logical reason.

It might be more in the realm of business 101. Everyone has a right to buy whatever car they want for whatever reasons. And we all think our own reasons are the right reasons. And they are, for us.

I can't predict three years into the future and whether or not you'll be able to make out like a bandit by driving 2 cars for "free" and then selling them. Thinking of the opposite scenario is where you lose your shorts and they sell for half what you thought they would. Or don't sell at all.

It seems you want someone to talk you out of the Fiat on the Smart forums. And perhaps want someone to talk you into the Fiat on these forums. You have to make your own decision, for your own life.

I personally think the 500e is a splendid car, and believe it should be available in all states, especially the metro areas that really need to cut pollution. And it would be a terrific car for me too, but I do not have access to any chargers where I live. And I would not qualify for the tax incentives or the nifty lease deal. It would be too expensive of a car for me to personally own without one of the two deals, as I basically need a vehicle to get to and from the store and do errands.

If I had a home (with a garage and a plug) and a non-disabled life, I'd have to tell you not to hog the 500e and you only get to have one. Because it is such an ideal vehicle for so many people. There aren't going to be that many made, from what I've read, and I don't know if Fiat will ramp up production if these become even more popular than they already are.

Be nice and share the electric vehicles with others. And in three years time, there may be many more electric vehicles available, some with much better range or more advanced components. It's a fate we all suffer, even when we buy the latest, greatest computer, rendered obsolete by the time we get it unpackaged.

I personally loved many of my "old" cars, when they were 15-20 years old. I didn't mind that the cars didn't have all the latest, greatest features, because I loved the car for what it was. Seems you want to make money off the car right from the start, and I cannot be positive that will occur. It's like you're a car gold-digger. LOL.

One more thing. Caveat Emptor: "Charger at work"

There were a row of chargers at the local hospital where I have doctor appointments. All but one sat unused for years. The only vehicle that used the charger was the old style RAV4 EV. And it still uses the charger. But there has been an influx of other plug-in cars. There isn't enough space to plug in all the cars that can be plugged in.

I'm not sure if their valet parking swaps out the electric cars or if it's simply first-come, first-serve. And I don't know if fully charged vehicles can sit in the spot, while a car needing a charge is forced to park elsewhere, not getting a charge.

But there is no doubt that there are now not enough chargers for all the cars that use them in that parking garage.

Currently (electric pun intended) they pay the same price as the rest of us to park. But they're using more than just a parking spot, they're using electricity. It's not always going to be a freebee, and will eventually have a charge (look, another pun) associated with it. Like a parking meter that takes credit/debit cards or specialty metro transport cards, you'll be paying for hooking up. AND might not be able to hook up at all if the plugs are already in use.

There are also things unfair, such as why should an employer pay for an employee's electric "gas" while not paying for a regular gas vehicle? They shouldn't. So there will have to be charges for the charging. And parking garages that install charges will eventually realize they can grab folks by the short hairs by adding on a charge for those charging spaces. You want to make it home, you pay the fee for the special vehicle charging parking spot. Yikes.

These are things I can be confident in predicting. It's one of those "no free lunch" ideas.

I'd jump on a 500e in a heartbeat, if I had lots of money and a place to plug it in at home. No doubt. I know the possibilities of being charged for charging or being out of luck for getting a charging spot. And I'd better be able to make it home whether or not I can get a charge.

And I might have to go all white, steam interior, bianco perla exterior. But I also want the Sport wheels with the orange accents. Whatever. I'm not at all thinking of if I could turn around and sell it when I get all enthusiastic about the 500e. I'm thinking of how the car would fit my needs so well (if I had somewhere to plug it in).

danny_1
05-29-2013, 12:42 PM
That was an excellent reply. Thanks!

Sheesh....I rarely ever get anyone who writes that much.

You're pretty clever. I was hoping that someone from the smart forum would convince me to stay (but most people just bitched at me and told me I was an idiot and didn't understand technology or math). I like my '08 smart. I like that it is so tiny that I can fit in the most unlikely places for parking. And I only use it as a commuter so the gas mileage as well is great for me. But the transmission is horrible and 5 years later I am still annoyed by it. Plus the interior is terrible and I agree: the seats are also bad and that is not great for a longer-than-20-minute ride.

And yes, the dealer was one of the main reasons I started to consider not getting the smart but it wasn't the primary reason that I am probably switching. The smart dealer here in San Diego is horrible when it comes to the electric. The final thing which made me give up on the dealer here was when the head of the electric cars at the dealer told me she didn't want to find out answers for the car because she sometimes had to be on hold for 20 minutes and there were several times when she had to be transferred to more than 3 people before she got to the right person so she finally gave up on ALL of that work (new America...everyone is SO "hardworking" now...I used to think it was nice because it allowed me to get ahead easier without real competition...but now it just sucks because I need people to do their job sometimes and that is harder and harder now in modern America...but I am digressing). Plus, they made me wait a week for the car because her manager was on vacation and she didn't want to have to read all the paperwork from smart. Plus they lied to me about the electrics being sold. They got 12 cars in and told me they were all sold. Now I find out that only half were sold and now there's gonna be an additional 2 since I probably am cancelling today.

Oh...and i need two because there are two of us, with similar commutes.

As for the economics: that is maybe the primary reason I am getting an electric but it is not the only. I really do like the way the few electrics I have driven perform off the line and of course I like the quiet and the lack of transmission. Plus I really like not going to the gas station. I also have an electric motorcycle now and I love driving it!

My work will make the charging stations available for us. We often have to work overnights and are on call (and may be called back) so they will make sure that the employees who are on call will be able to charge anytime.

I am buying the orange 500e and the white that you like as well. I wish I could get the white with black interior and the orange headrest...but the black interior only comes with a black headrest.

As far as the economics for me, I am just annoyed that I must pay so much in taxes (don't worry...not interested in talking too much about politics or taxes...just a quick complaint). In my opinion, it is SO dumb that our federal government is taking money from all tax brackets and putting it into a fund which they give away to wealthier people so that they can buy an electric car at a discount that most others can't get. And the fact that fiat is making this car right now is strictly due to the fact that California has made up a stupid rule (again, my opinion) for auto mfr's such that they have to sell an electric car or be fined. So...only California residents who are able to claim the entire (or even partial) rebates can get this car at a decent price. That is definitely NOT fair. And people like me are the primary beneficiaries of these programs. The only reason I am not just buying a new gas smart car is because of these gov't programs taking money from all people and funneling it to people with more money. And the hilarious thing about it is that no one (other than the buyers) makes money. Electric car mfr's are mostly losing money on these cars to begin with...tax-payers are losing money (by paying into a tax-funded program) and the wealthier are scooping up this money and driving the cars for less than those who make less (but still want the green tech to help the planet..or whatever). I am sure that people will just say that this rebate-period was the reason that electric cars were made available sooner (you know...since auto mfr's could figure out how to make them better while not losing as much money because the gov't essentially helped them fund their electric models). But I disagree with that. Capitalism should do that better than gov't assistance in my opinion. Ok...done with that.

Also, nice puns!!

Ryephile
05-29-2013, 03:18 PM

Damnit, that doesn't help my bitterness that the 500e is Cali-only. :miserable: Do want.

Andree
05-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Hey Danny, the regular automatic transmission in my Fiat is smooth like butter. No jerking, at all. It's one of the most impressive features, especially after my last car. And the constant comments about the Smart transmission were one thing that kept me from considering it. The Fit was supposed to be the better alternative of the two (smart, fit), but it's transmission was very jerky, and that was in the BASE model that was supposed to be more efficient.

With the 500e and NO shift points, well, it would be smoother than butter. Whatever that means.

You should be able to order up the headrests separately. I never found them myself, when I was considering the 2012 Gucci model, it was white but had the black headrests. I wanted the ivory headrests, just plain ones.

You could easily have a interior shop whip up some orange covers for the headrests. You could do vinyl. Or get crazy with various fabrics and have the front portion padded to make the head rest more comfy. Or have a comfy round pillow under a vinyl cover, just for you in the driver's seat.

Understand, agree with your points about why the electric is being made and who ends up getting the vehicle. Pollution situation is a big mess, especially in LA Basin where the topography plays a huge role in the holding of the smog. Same deal with Beijing. Second problem is economics, people still have to commute to get to work and the pay isn't often enough to be able to choose any new vehicle, let alone the 500e. Beijing is chock full of old vehicles spewing nasty stuff, and the owners can't afford to replace the vehicles. All these little spewing vehicles in any area add up.

"trucks were 5 percent of China's 19.3 million vehicles last year but emitted more than 60 percent of particulate matter from all vehicles."

(Beijing reference: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=beijings-record-smog-poses-health-nightmare )

One obvious solution is to make low-emissions vehicles that are much lower priced. Starting with the revival of the small pickup truck. Fiat could help out by bringing over small vans. They may start out brand new and more expensive, but over time the trickle down effect occurs, and the trucks/vans become accessible to the whole population.

Trying to force the poor to buy NEW vehicles isn't going to work. Beijing's business centers around many of those heavily polluting trucks, they're government trucks too. If the government can't set the example, how the heck are regular people supposed to help out?

The recent CARS program (cash for clunkers) was another feel good program that helped only a certain group of people. The poorest of the poor driving the crappiest polluting vehicles had vehicles too old, and couldn't afford to buy a new vehicle, no matter what the incentive. I'd say it was "middle class" that benefited.

And another incentive was supposed to help small businesses, especially farming, to be able to get and write off a new truck. Instead, with the loopholes and what is considered a "truck", the local pizzeria dude bought a brand new Hummer, which will be written off completely. It was his version of "free car". All perfectly legal. And oh-so-wrong ethically.

---

Regarding parking in tiny spots with your Smart...the first Fiat I saw was when I was on my way to another hospital for some tests. Loved the looks of that bright yellow car. Got to the hospital parking garage, in my Honda Fit, only to find they had really small parking spots, narrow driveways, making my Fit feel like a Suburban in size. And I noticed the tiniest of tiny parking spots with signs saying they were for "mini" cars only, with a picture of a Smart car. Not kidding. Those tiny spots sat unused while my behemoth Fit had to look for roomier digs. The Fiat might fit in a couple of the spots I saw, while a few other spots are definitely Smart-only. It's like reserved parking, because they were open on all the floors for the most part.

I decided at that point I really had to get another car, a much smaller car. It took forever to get out of a parking spot since the roadway was so narrow, the parking spots awkward (some 90 degrees). I wanted those back up sensors, and got them in the Fiat. Those make a huge difference in addition to the size when struggling with poorly designed public parking garages. Certainly not as small as the Smart, but small enough to make a huge difference in ease of parking.

I think you'll enjoy the Fiat 500e, and you absolutely have to give us updates and photos. UPDATES! PHOTOS! I NEED DETAILS!

And make the other person who will also be driving the 500e come here too. Because I CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY DETAILS, UPDATES AND PHOTOS!

vandetta
05-29-2013, 08:40 PM
I want the 500e soo bad- I'm hoping they offer it in NY soon. I was dead set on getting a Nissan Leaf- but they made the 2013 model slower to increase range- it goes 0-60 in something like 10+ seconds. The Spark EV although its faster... 0-60 in 7.6 seconds- what they did with the wheels and the front of the car makes it look terrible compared to the normal ICE Spark, which was not that great to begin with. The Chevy Sonic would have been a better choice for an EV conversion...

Anyway I'm hoping to lease a Fiat 500e but are the e-sport versions leasing for the same $199 price? The rumors I keep reading on a few sites like ChicagoTribune, wardsauto, and some others is that Fiat will eventually offer it in other states. If I look at the Honda Fit EV it took them about 6 months to offer it nationally- (but no one will lease a fit for $389 per month XD). I need a new car like yesterday and I don't know if I can wait 6 months to get the 500e if ever.

The Nero e-sport w/ black wheels, headlights & interior seems perfect. I'd even settle for the Grigio color as a backup option. But I don't know if there will be much choice with the colors or if they will even have the e-sport package if it makes it up here.

Tweak
05-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Welcome to the forum vandetta. :cool:

Ryephile
05-30-2013, 12:02 AM
This all makes me wonder exactly when and where Fiat plans on rolling out the 500e. Having seen 2 rolling around metro Detroit with manufacturer plates irks me that they wouldn't sell it in every major metropolitan area.

Are there any details or inside lines on where and when Fiat plans on allowing us consumers to actually spend money on one of these things?

Fiat500USA
05-30-2013, 01:02 AM
This all makes me wonder exactly when and where Fiat plans on rolling out the 500e. Having seen 2 rolling around metro Detroit with manufacturer plates irks me that they wouldn't sell it in every major metropolitan area.

Are there any details or inside lines on where and when Fiat plans on allowing us consumers to actually spend money on one of these things?

I know some of the Fiat execs are using the 500e as their personal transportation. The main thing right now is Fiat has to deliver the cars through California to satisfy requirements, etc. Anything is possible as far as rolling out to the rest of the states, though;) One of the issues is dealers need to sell a good number of cars to pay for the specialized tools, etc. So there needs to be a good business case for selling the car. It is not just a matter of delivering, but there has to be a support infrastructure, too.

danny_1
05-30-2013, 01:31 AM
Hey Danny, the regular automatic transmission in my Fiat is smooth like butter. No jerking, at all. It's one of the most impressive features, especially after my last car. And the constant comments about the Smart transmission were one thing that kept me from considering it. The Fit was supposed to be the better alternative of the two (smart, fit), but it's transmission was very jerky, and that was in the BASE model that was supposed to be more efficient.

With the 500e and NO shift points, well, it would be smoother than butter. Whatever that means.

You should be able to order up the headrests separately. I never found them myself, when I was considering the 2012 Gucci model, it was white but had the black headrests. I wanted the ivory headrests, just plain ones.

You could easily have a interior shop whip up some orange covers for the headrests. You could do vinyl. Or get crazy with various fabrics and have the front portion padded to make the head rest more comfy. Or have a comfy round pillow under a vinyl cover, just for you in the driver's seat.

Understand, agree with your points about why the electric is being made and who ends up getting the vehicle. Pollution situation is a big mess, especially in LA Basin where the topography plays a huge role in the holding of the smog. Same deal with Beijing. Second problem is economics, people still have to commute to get to work and the pay isn't often enough to be able to choose any new vehicle, let alone the 500e. Beijing is chock full of old vehicles spewing nasty stuff, and the owners can't afford to replace the vehicles. All these little spewing vehicles in any area add up.

"trucks were 5 percent of China's 19.3 million vehicles last year but emitted more than 60 percent of particulate matter from all vehicles."

(Beijing reference: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=beijings-record-smog-poses-health-nightmare )

One obvious solution is to make low-emissions vehicles that are much lower priced. Starting with the revival of the small pickup truck. Fiat could help out by bringing over small vans. They may start out brand new and more expensive, but over time the trickle down effect occurs, and the trucks/vans become accessible to the whole population.

Trying to force the poor to buy NEW vehicles isn't going to work. Beijing's business centers around many of those heavily polluting trucks, they're government trucks too. If the government can't set the example, how the heck are regular people supposed to help out?

The recent CARS program (cash for clunkers) was another feel good program that helped only a certain group of people. The poorest of the poor driving the crappiest polluting vehicles had vehicles too old, and couldn't afford to buy a new vehicle, no matter what the incentive. I'd say it was "middle class" that benefited.

And another incentive was supposed to help small businesses, especially farming, to be able to get and write off a new truck. Instead, with the loopholes and what is considered a "truck", the local pizzeria dude bought a brand new Hummer, which will be written off completely. It was his version of "free car". All perfectly legal. And oh-so-wrong ethically.

---

Regarding parking in tiny spots with your Smart...the first Fiat I saw was when I was on my way to another hospital for some tests. Loved the looks of that bright yellow car. Got to the hospital parking garage, in my Honda Fit, only to find they had really small parking spots, narrow driveways, making my Fit feel like a Suburban in size. And I noticed the tiniest of tiny parking spots with signs saying they were for "mini" cars only, with a picture of a Smart car. Not kidding. Those tiny spots sat unused while my behemoth Fit had to look for roomier digs. The Fiat might fit in a couple of the spots I saw, while a few other spots are definitely Smart-only. It's like reserved parking, because they were open on all the floors for the most part.

I decided at that point I really had to get another car, a much smaller car. It took forever to get out of a parking spot since the roadway was so narrow, the parking spots awkward (some 90 degrees). I wanted those back up sensors, and got them in the Fiat. Those make a huge difference in addition to the size when struggling with poorly designed public parking garages. Certainly not as small as the Smart, but small enough to make a huge difference in ease of parking.

I think you'll enjoy the Fiat 500e, and you absolutely have to give us updates and photos. UPDATES! PHOTOS! I NEED DETAILS!

And make the other person who will also be driving the 500e come here too. Because I CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY DETAILS, UPDATES AND PHOTOS!

I like your advice on the interior. I planned to do that on my '08 smart but never got around to it. I suppose I might try it this time if I don't like the interior enough. Either way, good advice. Now I won't sweat it too much if I don't love the interior.

And I get I know what you mean with all the gov't programs benefiting the wrong people. I think those programs are sold to congress by semi-clever lobbyists to only help large companies.

And yeah...there are a lot of bad car-smog cities. I used to live in China and I know what you mean. I lived in Shanghai a couple of years but I went to Beijing often and the smog was already horrible there (and this was almost 15 years ago).

With regard to the parking, I will just adjust. I have a bigger car and I drive it often enough. I just really like being able to sneak my smart into nearly impossible parallel parking spots!!

I will, of course, submit my photos as soon I get the car. I just hope that it really does happen in June.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

vandetta
05-30-2013, 02:54 PM
Thanks

I want the 500e soo bad- I'm hoping they offer it in NY soon. I was dead set on getting a Nissan Leaf- but they made the 2013 model slower to increase range- it goes 0-60 in something like 10+ seconds. The Spark EV although its faster... 0-60 in 7.6 seconds- what they did with the wheels and the front of the car makes it look terrible compared to the normal ICE Spark, which was not that great to begin with. The Chevy Sonic would have been a better choice for an EV conversion...

Anyway I'm hoping to lease a Fiat 500e but are the e-sport versions leasing for the same $199 price? The rumors I keep reading on a few sites like ChicagoTribune, wardsauto, and some others is that Fiat will eventually offer it in other states. If I look at the Honda Fit EV it took them about 6 months to offer it nationally- (but no one will lease a fit for $389 per month XD). I need a new car like yesterday and I don't know if I can wait 6 months to get the 500e if ever.

The Nero e-sport w/ black wheels, headlights & interior seems perfect. I'd even settle for the Grigio color as a backup option. But I don't know if there will be much choice with the colors or if they will even have the e-sport package if it makes it up here.

Twilight zone here. I've done my research, and before I settled on the Fiat 500e it was the Honda Fit. While I agree the Fiat 500e looks better and performs better, my backup option was always the Fit- but the $389 a month lease fee always kept me away.

Fast forward to today:
http://green.autoblog.com/2013/05/30/honda-fit-ev-lease-drops-to-259-adds-unlimited-miles/

$259 per month, no down payment, and collision insurance included. All I need to get is liability insurance which I believe is about $300~ for the year.

I guess I'm getting a Fit. My only complaint is the wheels and the color being limited to blue. If I had to rank the EV cars in my price range

In terms of looks
Fiat 500e>Fit EV>Leaf>Spark EV.

As far as performance speed & range
Spark EV>Fiat 500ev>Fit EV>Leaf.

vandetta
05-30-2013, 03:40 PM
Thanks

Twilight zone here. I've done my research, and before I settled on the Fiat 500e it was the Honda Fit. While I agree the Fiat 500e looks better and performs better, my backup option was always the Fit- but the $389 a month lease fee always kept me away.

Fast forward to today:
http://green.autoblog.com/2013/05/30/honda-fit-ev-lease-drops-to-259-adds-unlimited-miles/

$259 per month, no down payment, and collision insurance included. All I need to get is liability insurance which I believe is about $300~ for the year.

I guess I'm getting a Fit. My only complaint is the wheels and the color being limited to blue. If I had to rank the EV cars in my price range

In terms of looks

Ryephile
05-30-2013, 04:01 PM
Fast forward to today:

In terms of looks

Yea that lease deal on the Fit EV is very tasty.

DowneasTTer
05-30-2013, 04:15 PM
There's only one fly in the ointment so to speak.... it's a fit!

Ryephile
05-30-2013, 04:19 PM
There's only one fly in the ointment so to speak.... it's a fit!

LOL, yea well the biggest fly in the ointment is that none of them are available outside the coasts, or Cali for most of them.

Andree
05-30-2013, 08:42 PM
LOL, yea well the biggest fly in the ointment is that none of them are available outside the coasts, or Cali for most of them.

You're pretty lucky in one sense, you're in metro Detroit. If you already have the 500e scampering around with manufacturer plates, I'd GUESS that you'd probably be the FIRST metro area to get them outside of California.

California is a huge spread out state, with vastly different driving conditions depending on area. It is mighty hard to get a feel for the 500e up close and personal, unless they focus on a particular area. They could focus on a particular area, easily enough, by putting the 500e out in Detroit.

Secondly, right across a bridge, and you're in Windsor, Ontario, would be a good place to intro the electric for Canada. All clustered in the same area, with the ability to charge up on either side of the border. The International 500e! Looks like there is a dealer in Windsor (via Google).

Then there were the rumors about Fiat moving to Detroit, which I think have since been debunked:
http://www.brandchannel.com/home/post/2013/05/16/Fiat-Detroit-051613.aspx

But the rest is still true, and Motor City NEEDS something to get it going again. If property prices are fairly low, there is the option to "build it and they will come". As in making a totally electric-friendly city.

There's airport traffic, people coming into Detroit for upper level meetings. 500e rentals via airport, with chargers at airport, as well as major business parking lots. Chargers at hotels/motels. Chargers at restaurants. Grocery stores. Schools, both for staff and for students (high school, university, etc).

Each charger will cost money, for the amount of electricity used plus a small fee/tax. Making each charger a revenue source for the city/county/state and owner of charger. Many people will charge up at home, but the option to charge up elsewhere will be available just about anywhere.

I know when I have a major errand day, that might include something like Target, I'm going to be in there for at least an hour. An hour would easily top-up the charge to full based on my kind of driving. I mean, I have to park anyway, might as well charge too. For comparison, it would be like parking next to a gas pump every time you had to park. Might as well fill 'er up since it's RIGHT THERE.

Sports arena, full charge if you're going to an event. Going out to lunch, movie, dinner, there's a big charge. Valet parking services could even take care of the hooking up for you at various places.

Street charging, like parking meters.

Those storage type places, that have some parking, put in some chargers there too. Any place you might stop for an hour or more, put in a charger. Casual dining at 24 hour Dennys, you can be charging at 2 am.

So, yeah, that's what I'd do.

Andree
05-30-2013, 08:57 PM
It's a surprisingly low number of vehicles being made to lease with no option to buy for the Honda Fit. 1,100. It looks to be primarily a test marketing of the vehicle. And it will only be available for two years?

http://automobiles.honda.com/fit-ev/drive-fit-ev.aspx

I'm reading more about the Honda Fit EV, there is a forum and breakdown of the lease math here for all the big players:
http://www.myelectriccarforums.com/honda-reduces-price-on-honda-fit-ev-lease/

Surprisingly, only 161 Honda Fit EVs are out there currently being leased. And the people already leasing will have their lease payments reduced to the new rate (but won't get a rebate for the extra they've paid).

Notice also: "Originally only planned for California and Oregon, the Fit EV is now available in east coast Carb states like Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maryland, New York, and New Jersey."

From the responses for the Fiat 500e, seems like they could clear out 161 cars in a day. Am I missing something here? Have I grossly overestimated the number of people interested in EVs?

Andree
05-31-2013, 12:33 AM
More from the Fit EV forum:

"I read that Honda plans to lease only 1100 cars over two years? The Leaf's sales are down right now, but they are still selling 1100 Leafs every 6-7 weeks. Looks like the Fit EV community will remain quite small."

from the last post here: http://www.myhondafitev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7

So it looks like Leafs are definitely selling very well and are popular. Those are numbers that make sense to me, the 1100 every 6-7 weeks. I'd expect the Fiat to do better, but I might be just a tiny bit biased. heh.

I'm checking out the build site for Leafs. Looking at the top of the line model (of course). They have colors like Fiat, black, pearl white, grey, silver, plus a dark red (might be metallic) and a light blue (says limited availability). One interior choice. Black. Oh, the middle version, SV has the light gray (as seen in the drive video in other thread). No sunroof.

Oh dear, check this, the lead page with the special lease shows 199 for 36 months:

Look what happens when I click "build" from that link, leaps up to 514 for 39 months:

I envy all the "well qualified lessees".

danny_1
05-31-2013, 12:55 AM
From the responses for the Fiat 500e, seems like they could clear out 161 cars in a day. Am I missing something here? Have I grossly overestimated the number of people interested in EVs?

I don't know if you overestimated the people interested in EV's. But I think that a very small percentage of Americans or Europeans are really interested in EV's. I know that no one in this forum or in the stock market would agree with me (other than the people shorting the company) but I feel that Tesla may be near their peak stock price because....well...how are they gonna sell a cheap electric car without a tax rebate? And let's say that they do figure out how to make one that looks ok and is fairly cheap (in 3 years...which is what they claim...but $40,000 is expensive...which they also claim) then I am pretty sure that other mfr's will be able to make conversions of most of their gas cars for prices that are better than tesla cuz they have larger numbers and more existing customers.

My point is that I feel that there is fake/media interest but only a handful of people who are really interested. Seriously...people care about celebrities and tv shows more than they do about really awesome life-enhancing technologies like electric cars. Plus, lets not forget, they're still kinda expensive for most people which also adds to the indifference.

Andree
05-31-2013, 05:16 AM
I don't know if you overestimated the people interested in EV's. But I think that a very small percentage of Americans or Europeans are really interested in EV's. I know that no one in this forum or in the stock market would agree with me (other than the people shorting the company) but I feel that Tesla may be near their peak stock price because....well...how are they gonna sell a cheap electric car without a tax rebate? And let's say that they do figure out how to make one that looks ok and is fairly cheap (in 3 years...which is what they claim...but $40,000 is expensive...which they also claim) then I am pretty sure that other mfr's will be able to make conversions of most of their gas cars for prices that are better than tesla cuz they have larger numbers and more existing customers.

My point is that I feel that there is fake/media interest but only a handful of people who are really interested. Seriously...people care about celebrities and tv shows more than they do about really awesome life-enhancing technologies like electric cars. Plus, lets not forget, they're still kinda expensive for most people which also adds to the indifference.

Wouldn't some of what you said been initially said (and still said) about hybrids? Those seem to be doing quite well these days, even though they aren't exactly "cheap" to buy. They become an alternative for a certain group of people. But they've caught on with more than the usual upper middle class, especially the Prius, that seems to be the "stars choice". LOL!

Yes, I did read recently where Beiber in his gated community was racing around in his Ferrari, and got chased down by Keyshawn Johnson in his Prius. We're talking big guy, ex-NFL, drives a Prius. It's a car that truly works for so many people.

Side-note: I'm trying to get away from the celebrity habit, it's addictive. I didn't know who most of the people are a year or two ago, because I don't watch TV. Haven't watched TV since 2006-7. But it's hard to turn away with such an abundance of dunces. Every day checking Google news I get a smorgasbord of idiots in the Entertainment section. It's like this: Nickleodeon, never watched it/seen it/can't spell it. Amanda Bynes. No idea. Bins? Buynes? Pronunciation unknown. Photos: OMG, that fake wig, those fake boobs, why is she throwing things, attacking people on twitter, why is she insane? Then I have to follow along to find out WHY she is insane. I don't know what she does now, other than being the wing nut in photos.

So, anyway, the electric in the mix adds to the available technology in basic transportation. US culture has years of road trips in it's past and telling people they an only drive 90 miles before they have to stop goes against that culture. On the other hand, there are huge numbers of people who really don't drive much, and don't do road trips, even if they used to drive more. I'm one of those. Balking at the IDEA of being restricted, when I haven't driven that far in YEARS is kind of silly, yet I still see myself doing it.

Same thing with not quite being sure I could do just two seats these days. I might need extra seats just in case... what? Three of the seven dwarfs Hi-Ho it out of some fairytale cottage and need a lift?

There are cars that will always be expensive, and Rolls Royce doesn't make economy sedans. They have their own thing. But the potential for electric and mixed hybrid is there and can come down in price in the future. Sort of like what happened with computers and the computer in the car.

I also noticed the Honda Fit area mentioned charging via solar, and have some tie-in with solar to help get the Fit charged via solar power. Good stuff if you're a "well-qualified lessee" homeowner. Not so great if you're me. BUT, it still has an effect on me, in the long run. First, no matter who gets the electric car and adds solar to their home, it results in cleaner air for me. At no cost to me (other than tax rebate programs for them). And every person who gets the solar reduces demand on the power grid, which then may reduce overall pollution from any of the more polluting energy generation systems.

Solar wouldn't be so great for my area, but wind generators would rock. And I've thought of all kinds of ways the wind generators could be included in structures. Across bridges, for instance (the vertical turbines). On top of city street lights and traffic signals. With the wind that we have, those things would be going 24/7, while the lights themselves are only on during the darkness. A whole bunch of smallish turbines working to help the city power needs.

Chicago parking garage with it's vertical turbines (with images):
http://inhabitat.com/chicago-parking-garage-harvests-energy-from-windy-city-gusts/

Those are HUGE things that can be done, I'd guess most of us don't own our own parking garage. And many won't be able to buy the electric car either. Using the same kind of technology, I have mastered the wireless keyboard and mouse. I have rechargeable batteries. I was going through regular batteries with this computer when it was new like crazy. I blamed it on the crummy batteries, but even the most expensive disposable battery still died quickly.

I went for rechargeables. They are frighteningly expensive. Just little AA and AAA batteries for around the house. But they work. Again and again. I have three pairs of AA, one pair in the keyboard, one pair in the mouse, and a third pair kept charged. I never run out of battery power. I just swap out as needed.

I also picked up this tiny corded led light source from World Market:
http://www.worldmarket.com/product/battery+operated+led+kit.do?&from=fn

Seems every year we'd get power outages during winter storms, and I like having light options. This tiny thing makes a HUGE amount of light, and yes, I'm using rechargeable batteries in it too. I've used it as a flashlight, or just hung it on something. It's not inside a paper lantern at all, just kind of cheap extra lighting for emergencies. Enough to easily read by, it's that bright. And I have solar garden lamps on my balcony.

So while I can't get the electric car with LED lighting recharged by solar panels, I have my own versions of the technology. I'm using the technology, and it works.

Ryephile
05-31-2013, 10:19 AM

I would hazard that the current media climate is a big part of the problem. They love to spread misinformation about electric powertrains. Politics seem to play an unusually strong aspect with hybrid and otherwise non-gasoline powertrains for some reason. Even Diesel, despite powering every semi-truck that feeds and supplies the country, are curiously disregarded as real engines in everyday life. Because of all that ignorance within the media and subsequent populace, Diesel, Hybrid, and electric powertrains are glossed over or vilified for no logical reason. This pigeonholing certain results in Joe Normal being scared to risk his social standing by looking beyond his naturally aspirated V-6 anycar. The few of us that can think for ourselves make up the small minority of interested parties.

Let's not forget the 1914 Detroit Electric car that Henry Ford's wife drove because it was easier and cleaner than Ford's own cars. Nothing too revolutionary has happened since except a modest improvement in both ICE and battery tech.

danny_1
05-31-2013, 01:39 PM
I sort of think that hybrids are over-hyped as well. I am not a mechanical engineer but I have been wondering why don't we just stop making hybrids and turn them into cars like the chevy volt? Isn't that a more efficient use of gasoline than a hybrid? I mean, if people care so much about running out of a charge in their batteries (and not being able to drive 500 miles everyday...lol...people drive like 20 to 60 miles a day and then occasionally drive long but whatever about that silly fear by most people) then just make an awesome generator and put a 5-gallon tank in the car to power the batteries/motor. That way you should get way more mpg than gas cars, right?

How come we don't do that? Or...am I stupid about chemistry right now?

Also, I really don't like hybrids. They're slow and boring to drive...at least the few I have driven.

Your celebrity-habit was funny. I haven't watched TV since the last episode of Seinfeld (well...sort of...do sports count?)

Lastly...I like your appreciation of people making an effort to make the world cleaner. I wish it really could be the case but I am pretty sure that we're going to ruin this planet.

Andree
05-31-2013, 06:52 PM
Hey, the Chevy Volt idea was my idea. Or at least I had a similar idea years back. Problem solving here trying to figure out how I could enjoy hybrids without having a dead battery, because I simply don't drive enough to keep any battery charged. No chance on installing a charger. So the supplemental gas engine powering the hybrid engine is a solution. I'm also all for putting a solar charger in the sunroof, to keep the battery charged, whether it's a regular gas model or the 500e. It might not be much, but every single time the car is taken out, it would be charging. For people who street park or park for work in the open, they're getting free charge all day. Adds to overall range, performance, etc.

Especially good for cars like the 500L with the big glass roof. I'm thinking the solar would make for a roof that looks like the current cover for the 500 regular version, with the air holes for the screen. Or use the solar fabric idea for the solid cover for the 500L fabric cover. Close the cover and let the car charge.

Media isn't really an open source of news, not any of the big stations anyway. They all have their preferences, and they are biased. They do think of their advertisers. And news will cover "big" stories. They don't cover the millions of other people who had a good day today. Whole bunch of people weren't killed today, didn't suffer some horrible tragedy, didn't go out and dump toxic waste, etc.

Look for the good stuff that happens in the world, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoREXT8qT7g

I only understand English so I don't know what it says at the end. I don't think I need to understand what it says at the end in order to find the short video moving and hopeful.

I've had people help me out when I was a dollar short for something. I've helped out others in the same manner. These two teen boys, on a Saturday night, buying some basics (peanut butter, jelly, bread, milk) and some "treats" like cheetos and beef jerky. Two teen boys, not getting into trouble, not going out to get in gang fights or do graffiti or whatever it is the news keeps telling us teen boys do.

They didn't have enough money to cover it all, and had to remove the treats. The one boy had been checking out while the other was doing something else. The checking out boy had to break the news to the other boy that there would be no treats. And I said to the clerk "I'll pay for their stuff", and then went over to tell the boys. The one stares and does a jaw drop and says "Are you serious?"

They got their Saturday night treats.

Just like the video, I had enough to share.

We can't fix all the problems, but look for what good there is, and what good you can do.

Another story: I had five people total in my Honda Fit once. Complete strangers, that I "rescued" when their vehicle was being towed away. There was a young man, an older woman, two children (baby and toddler) and a little dog. It was mom or mom-in-law. They spoke a bit of English, thank goodness, because I don't speak anything else, just enough to answer that they did not have a ride when I asked them. I volunteered to give them a ride home. Off we went, child seats and little dogs and into the Fit with many attachments.

Got them home and there was another man at the home, working on a car. He popped out, all confused when they came back in a completely different car (mine) and there was much discussion. Meanwhile, the young man was trying to PAY me for the ride and I'm kind of hurt/insulted. I did it because I could. Not for money.

After there was more discussion, and the man who was working on the car kept looking at me, finally he yells out as I drive away "Thank you!". He must have gotten most of the story by then.

Life is full of opportunities to do good stuff. To make a difference in someone's life in some small way.

danny_1
05-31-2013, 10:02 PM
Hey, the Chevy Volt idea was my idea. Or at least I had a similar idea years back. Problem solving here trying to figure out how I could enjoy hybrids without having a dead battery, because I simply don't drive enough to keep any battery charged. No chance on installing a charger. So the supplemental gas engine powering the hybrid engine is a solution. I'm also all for putting a solar charger in the sunroof, to keep the battery charged, whether it's a regular gas model or the 500e. It might not be much, but every single time the car is taken out, it would be charging. For people who street park or park for work in the open, they're getting free charge all day. Adds to overall range, performance, etc.

Especially good for cars like the 500L with the big glass roof. I'm thinking the solar would make for a roof that looks like the current cover for the 500 regular version, with the air holes for the screen. Or use the solar fabric idea for the solid cover for the 500L fabric cover. Close the cover and let the car charge.

Media isn't really an open source of news, not any of the big stations anyway. They all have their preferences, and they are biased. They do think of their advertisers. And news will cover "big" stories. They don't cover the millions of other people who had a good day today. Whole bunch of people weren't killed today, didn't suffer some horrible tragedy, didn't go out and dump toxic waste, etc.

Look for the good stuff that happens in the world, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoREXT8qT7g

I only understand English so I don't know what it says at the end. I don't think I need to understand what it says at the end in order to find the short video moving and hopeful.

I've had people help me out when I was a dollar short for something. I've helped out others in the same manner. These two teen boys, on a Saturday night, buying some basics (peanut butter, jelly, bread, milk) and some "treats" like cheetos and beef jerky. Two teen boys, not getting into trouble, not going out to get in gang fights or do graffiti or whatever it is the news keeps telling us teen boys do.

They didn't have enough money to cover it all, and had to remove the treats. The one boy had been checking out while the other was doing something else. The checking out boy had to break the news to the other boy that there would be no treats. And I said to the clerk "I'll pay for their stuff", and then went over to tell the boys. The one stares and does a jaw drop and says "Are you serious?"

They got their Saturday night treats.

Just like the video, I had enough to share.

We can't fix all the problems, but look for what good there is, and what good you can do.

Another story: I had five people total in my Honda Fit once. Complete strangers, that I "rescued" when their vehicle was being towed away. There was a young man, an older woman, two children (baby and toddler) and a little dog. It was mom or mom-in-law. They spoke a bit of English, thank goodness, because I don't speak anything else, just enough to answer that they did not have a ride when I asked them. I volunteered to give them a ride home. Off we went, child seats and little dogs and into the Fit with many attachments.

Got them home and there was another man at the home, working on a car. He popped out, all confused when they came back in a completely different car (mine) and there was much discussion. Meanwhile, the young man was trying to PAY me for the ride and I'm kind of hurt/insulted. I did it because I could. Not for money.

After there was more discussion, and the man who was working on the car kept looking at me, finally he yells out as I drive away "Thank you!". He must have gotten most of the story by then.

Life is full of opportunities to do good stuff. To make a difference in someone's life in some small way.

I like the solar panel on the roof idea but I also know it doesn't recharge much (even for me in San Diego). I was one of the first people to put a deposit on the aptera. i liked their solar panel idea as well.

And one of my most favorite stories in recent business is how an old guy like Bob Lutz pushed chevy to build the volt instead of a hybrid and even though almost everyone objected he did it anyway (probably cuz it was his last project before retiring...but whatever). I still think the volt concept is the one which satisfies everyone to some degree: opec can still make money (just charge more for oil), the US can finally forget about fracking and the waste that will cause 20 years from now, the fed and states can charge a ton on gas taxes which continue to push consumers to all electric without having to have the gov't support their purchase with a rebate, and the best part is that we produced slightly less CO2 (probably super-slightly less....).

Your stories were inspiring. I'll try to be a little more charitable if I can but I doubt I would pay for cheetos for a couple of kids, LOL. But if I had just had a good day in the stock market then maybe. 5 people in a fit....? wow.

vandetta
06-13-2013, 06:52 PM
Thanks

Fast forward to today:

In terms of looks

Well guys I finally caved in and got a Fit EV a week ago(before they sold out). Interior is larger than a Fiat but I think the Fiat 500e's "leather" interior would have been better than this fabric one. The Fit EV's got a bunch of different driving modes- they all kinda give you a placebo effect, but they do make a difference in driving experience. I do like the B mode- which adds more regenerative braking to any of the 3 modes you're in. Essentially you can drive the car with one pedal in B mode because as soon as you let off the accelerator the regen kicks in- slowing down the car. Its great for stop and go traffic.

Again I was serious about the Fiat 500e- definitely would have bought it if they launched it here in NY.

Ah side note- I have a 20+ mile commute to work and I hadn't charged my car for 3 days. So on my way back I had about 2 miles left when I pulled into my driveway.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-4IJYh1uVbhE/UbpHVQ40H_I/AAAAAAAAArw/aEcVTCR2W08/s800/20130605210649605.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-DSmrrSBE7I0/UbpHVdxYsoI/AAAAAAAAArI/JDOn7dXILIE/s800/20130613083707334.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-5GtrQd8SphI/UbpHVa2wE3I/AAAAAAAAArM/SferPK3PBn8/s800/20130613170208017.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Re5NMli5wIU/UbpHXbYkyII/AAAAAAAAArc/zfYIiLWRCeQ/s800/20130613172229310.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-cTTSren2EZA/UbpHXm1eADI/AAAAAAAAArg/019xqEwemFg/s800/20130613173635143.jpg

Andree
06-13-2013, 11:13 PM
Congrats Vandetta!

hahahahaha, just noticed the front license plate area.

The Fit is a pretty good car, I had a regular one for four years before getting the Fiat. And perhaps by the time your lease is up, there WILL be 500e available in your area. I got my Fit way back when, because I just couldn't wait anymore for the "new small cars" to make it to actual market. I was on foot.

The forum I frequented was http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/
But I'm not seeing a specific electric area yet.

There are seat covers for the car, providing it's the same inside measurements as the regular Fit. Here are some images, and you'll want to go through the vendor mentioned at the top:
http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-interior-modifications/68629-post-your-clazzio-seat-covers-lets-see-color-combos-out-there.html

This is the vendor page with the color selection and a few more pics:
http://www.beangarage.com/clazzio-all-pvc-seat-covers-honda-fit-09-13/

(do not use "clazzioseatcovers.com": http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?10271-Consumer-Beware-www-clazzioseatcovers-com-is-a-scam-and-a-fraud )

I love that all-ivory interior, looks like it's on a deep blue car too. And it would help keep the interior cool on those hot days. Any of the seat covers will make it much easier to clean the car, obviously. And no lint will stick to the PVC.

The front sunshade is (was) about 30.00 via the Honda dealer, and it was worth it, even though it's awkward to put in. The front windshield is HUGE and it gets HOT inside the car very fast when the car is parked.