PDA

View Full Version : TWM Performance Short Shifter installed

lagallinavecchia
05-27-2013, 08:45 AM
Yes, yes, yes.

Took about an hour, great instructions. Really nice piece, replacing all that hard plastic. Great feel, rigid. Yet another improvement that makes this car even more fun to drive. For now I've kept the stock shifter knob, but I'm thinking of going to their CNC shift knob, since it's heavier than the stock.

Kudos to TWM for a great product and great customer service.

http://www.twmperformance.com/shortshifters/fiatshortshifters/fiat500-abarth-shortshifters.htm

13VaAbarth
05-27-2013, 09:27 AM
yea I was thinking at a later date of getting this mod glad you like it does it feel ok with the stock knob? cause their knobs are kinda pricey imo.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
05-27-2013, 09:29 AM
#1 POST^^:D I agree 100%, I love mine. The people at TWM are wonderful to work with, they upgraded mine after the Abarth model came out. " SAVE THE MANUALS"

lagallinavecchia
05-28-2013, 07:56 AM
yea I was thinking at a later date of getting this mod glad you like it does it feel ok with the stock knob? cause their knobs are kinda pricey imo.

I actually got a deal recently where they included a knob and some stickers with the deal. So I went for it. I initially had the Abarth shifter knob, which felt good but switched to the ball knob yesterday and I love it. Problem is the boot doesn't come up so high now so it looks like a silver lollipop. Feels awesome though.

trevc
05-28-2013, 10:22 AM
Glad you like it. I love mine and think it is worth the money I paid for it.

nojeebs
05-28-2013, 10:25 AM
I got the craven but I'm really itching to replace it with this unit. Glad you like it...seems everyone likes it. :-p These have a threaded shaft which will work with other knobs?

trevc
05-28-2013, 11:30 AM
The V2 for the abarth comes with a threaded piece that can be added or removed depending on the style of knob used. It allows you to use the standard Abarth knob if you want to or another knob that uses that same thread size.
If not using a threaded knob it can be removed.

I got the craven but I'm really itching to replace it with this unit. Glad you like it...seems everyone likes it. :-p These have a threaded shaft which will work with other knobs?

nojeebs
05-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Nice. Looked that way judging from photos I saw of it. Only problem is now....will TWM let me know the diameter and pitch of it. I've heard they don't give out that information as they only want you to use their knobs.

BigDaddySRT
05-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Nice. Looked that way judging from photos I saw of it. Only problem is now....will TWM let me know the diameter and pitch of it. I've heard they don't give out that information as they only want you to use their knobs.

If you can remove the "threaded piece" from the TWM... take that "threaded piece" to a local hardware store and use bolt thread checker to tell you what it is.

FootScoot
05-29-2013, 06:18 PM
I bought this shifter too, but they never sent the knob with it. I got everything else, but no knob, and it was supposed to be included as it was a special the month of May. 2 emails later and still no response. I'm beginning to think they blew me off. That's OK I can use a different knob. They just won't get the money. I'm sad.

trevc
05-29-2013, 06:32 PM
That's odd for them. Try calling instead.

I bought this shifter too, but they never sent the knob with it. I got everything else, but no knob, and it was supposed to be included as it was a special the month of May. 2 emails later and still no response. I'm beginning to think they blew me off. That's OK I can use a different knob. They just won't get the money. I'm sad.

nojeebs
05-29-2013, 07:55 PM
That is strange. I was able to get in touch with them through their Facebook page. Replied the same day.

Ended up placing my order for the SS w/ the free m1 knob. Going to get it custom finished somewhere locally. Weeee.

FootScoot
05-30-2013, 10:14 PM
I guess calling them is next. I hate to lose out on the shift knob. It's hard to believe they just didn't see 2 emails.

FootScoot
05-31-2013, 09:15 PM
Called earlier today when I knew they were there, and all I got was an answering machine. Left my number, still no response. I guess this means no shift knob for me as the special is over now.

FootScoot
06-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Contacted them on facebook. They said I ordered to early, May 13th, and the special for May wasn't live then. I thought a monthly special would be from the 1st to the 31st? So no shift knob for me. That's OK they won't get any more of my money either.

Tweak
06-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Contacted them on facebook. They said I ordered to early, May 13th, and the special for May wasn't live then. I thought a monthly special would be from the 1st to the 31st? So no shift knob for me. That's OK they won't get any more of my money either.

I'd have thought the same, shame too, I'd think they would have been a bit more relaxed about the situation and work it out, I man why call it a month and not do what makes sense!

FootScoot
06-02-2013, 07:53 AM
I guess I was supposed to be psychic and know when the special started. I just don't have that ability. I'm trying to figure out from what day it started and when it ended, but my visions just aren't coming through.

nojeebs
06-02-2013, 09:07 PM
When I placed my order there was a check box you had to click in order to get the knob with the shifter. So yeah, their business and their rules. Still sucks though as I know a lot of companies would just make the customer completely satisfied even if it wasn't their fault to begin with.

Tweak
06-02-2013, 09:43 PM
I guess I was supposed to be psychic and know when the special started. I just don't have that ability. I'm trying to figure out from what day it started and when it ended, but my visions just aren't coming through.

Ah, so it is all your fault for not getting your psychic groove on...hehe, seriously, I do hope they will resolve something with you possibly. I assume you did contact someone by phone?

FootScoot
06-03-2013, 07:41 AM
I did call, but I didn't receive a call back. May try again today. I see they removed my post on facebook. Oh well.

BigT
06-03-2013, 07:55 AM
I'm almost positive they use a standard thread pattern like on mustangs and camaros so any standard shift knob should fit. Or you could pick up a Razo shift knob that has a eurethane insert that you just thread on by hand takes a bit of elbow greese but nice quality products.

FootScoot
06-11-2013, 03:31 PM
The thread size is 10mm X 1.25mm. I ordered a knob from MonsterKnobs.com fits perfectly, and was only $40 shipped. Shame on you TWM.

FootScoot
06-13-2013, 09:56 PM
Installed my TWM short shifter today. So easy a caveman could do it. Very easy install compared to some things I've done.

rufferto
06-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Installed my TWM short shifter today. So easy a caveman could do it. Very easy install compared to some things I've done.

Just installed mine yesterday. great piece. very solid feel, and the shifts are nice and crisp with a great mechanical feel.
The only PIA for me was removing the 2 clips that hold the cables. those were a pain to remove. thankfully really easy to put back on.

nojeebs
06-19-2013, 10:11 AM
The thread size is 10mm X 1.25mm. I ordered a knob from MonsterKnobs.com fits perfectly, and was only $40 shipped. Shame on you TWM.

Oh my. Thank you for this.

FootScoot
06-20-2013, 08:39 AM
Just installed mine yesterday. great piece. very solid feel, and the shifts are nice and crisp with a great mechanical feel.
The only PIA for me was removing the 2 clips that hold the cables. those were a pain to remove. thankfully really easy to put back on.

Those are kind of a pain. I used a screwdriver and a plastic tipped hammer. Tap them on the raised lip with the screwdriver to move them out a little, then pry them out between the cable and clip and they slip right off. Putting them back is easy. Slide them on a little tap with plastic tipped hammer.