PDA

View Full Version : Road Race Motorsports tuning box jerky on 9

James Hunt
05-26-2013, 06:28 PM
Have a rrm box and on setting 9 it seems to have boost spikes thru the rev range and sometimes when cold dumps all boost.

Running on 93 octane

have tmc wastegate and forge recirc valve

should I lower the setting to 8 or do a reset of ecu?

lenswerks
05-26-2013, 07:47 PM
Reset ECU and go for a couple of drives first.

James Hunt
05-26-2013, 07:55 PM
Can you do a reset without disconnecting the battery?

FTY
05-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Have a rrm box and on setting 9 it seems to have boost spikes thru the rev range and sometimes when cold dumps all boost.

Running on 93 octane

have tmc wastegate and forge recirc valve

should I lower the setting to 8 or do a reset of ecu?

How is that TMC wastegate? I have mine set at 8 and depending on throttle position it can get spikey but it is less spikey than the stock TMC unit. Ive noticed there is a sweet spot with the gas pedal..100% throttle seems to retard timing...right off the bat. I tend to modulate the gas pedal slightly to work around a few flat spots when the car is in 4th and 5th gears.

IU say reset the ECU also...drive for 60 miles after the 3min learn idle. The car will be fully reset. The car has a learning curve that slowly decreases performance after a duration of time. I do a reset every 2-3 months.

You need to do a discconnect of the battery for a true reset....you want the stock ECU to start from scratch.

James Hunt
05-26-2013, 08:05 PM
How is that TMC wastegate? I have mine set at 8 and depending on throttle position it can get spikey but it is less spikey than the stock TMC unit. Ive noticed there is a sweet spot with the gas pedal..100% throttle seems to retard timing...right off the bat. I tend to modulate the gas pedal slightly to work around a few flat spots when the car is in 4th and 5th gears.

IU say reset the ECU also...drive for 60 miles after the 3min learn idle. The car will be fully reset. The car has a learning curve that slowly decreases performance after a duration of time. I do a reset every 2-3 months.

You need to do a discconnect of the battery for a true reset....you want the stock ECU to start from scratch.

Will do a full reset when I get back to shop on Tuesday until then running on 8.

TMC wastegate showed up with mismatched fitting and hardware but got it sorted. I plan to replace it with a forge unit this week.

SuperTony
05-26-2013, 09:36 PM
I have been running the RRM box on 9 for two+ months - mine is working great. To do a full reset on the ECU disconnect both battery terminals for 5+ minutes. If you get in the car and your clock is not blinking you have not disconnected long enough. Don't just disconnect the negative terminal as that will not get you a discharge.

I know you probably don't have to wait 5 minutes but I leave it off for a few minutes anyway cuz I am superstitious. I also always wear purple and stand on one foot but that is just my 'special way'. yelrotflmao-vi

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
05-27-2013, 09:34 AM
I have been running the RRM box on 9 for two+ months - mine is working great. To do a full reset on the ECU disconnect both battery terminals for 5+ minutes. If you get in the car and your clock is not blinking you have not disconnected long enough. Don't just disconnect the negative terminal as that will not get you a discharge.

I know you probably don't have to wait 5 minutes but I leave it off for a few minutes anyway cuz I am superstitious. I also always wear purple and stand on one foot but that is just my 'special way'. yelrotflmao-vi

Plus tap on the brakes a few Xs to drain any power left in the system

05-27-2013, 10:17 AM
Ok, Ive never done a reset but Im game for seeing what it does. Cars running great so hoping it doesnt cause something bad!

So, drain power. Idle 3 min. Drive 60m?

Spirited or mundane 60 miles???

SuperTony
05-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Fidgell - you MUST do a reset every time you modify an element that impacts the ECU and fuel/air mixture calculations. For example;

A. installing the RRM box - because it will affect the air/fuel mixture
B. installing a modified throttle body - because it will impact air volume taken into the engine
C. installing an aftermarket intercooler - again because it will affect the air intake into the engine

A reset is a good thing. Don' think of it as a bad or scary thing. It allows the ECU to recalibrate zero and full throttle.

Tips:
1. perform reset (no power)
2. start car (it may stall the first time)
3. Idle 3 minutes
4. Drive 30 miles (my practice) keeping the engine UNDER 4,000 rpm and no sport mode.

Abarth Phreak
05-27-2013, 11:27 AM

Pictures...or it didn't happen!!!! :naughty:

05-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Fidgell - you MUST do a reset every time you modify an element that impacts the ECU and fuel/air mixture calculations. For example;

A. installing the RRM box - because it will affect the air/fuel mixture
B. installing a modified throttle body - because it will impact air volume taken into the engine
C. installing an aftermarket intercooler - again because it will affect the air intake into the engine

A reset is a good thing. Don' think of it as a bad or scary thing. It allows the ECU to recalibrate zero and full throttle.

Tips:
1. perform reset (no power)
2. start car (it may stall the first time)
3. Idle 3 minutes
4. Drive 30 miles (my practice) keeping the engine UNDER 4,000 rpm and no sport mode.

Ill try it asap. Ive done 36k without issues and have a few mods so not too sure its that critical or Idve expected problems. Will report back