PDA

View Full Version : They're Heeeeeeeeeere!

bryanintowson
05-26-2013, 02:49 PM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/videogallery/76050868/Fiats-roll-through-port-Video

The first shipment of 500L's have arrived from Serbia!

Seafarer61
05-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Man, those are the sloppiest vinyl wraps I've ever seen. Didn't they use a heat gun?
:tongue:

Berliner
05-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Yes, we all remember the Yugo

Fiat500USA
05-26-2013, 04:55 PM
To be clear, that plant has been totally re-done and is considered one of the most modern in Europe. Another thing. The late model Fuel Injected Yugos (1990+) were way better then the first models imported by Malcolm Bricklin in the mid-eighties. The head of warranty at Yugo NA said the warranty rate on the last Yugos were down to Toyota levels. So don't listen to the talking heads!

trevc
05-26-2013, 06:28 PM
My local studio said they ordered 5 so hopefully I can get a test drive soon.

whirlygirl
06-01-2013, 05:49 PM
I stopped by the studio in Costa Mesa, CA today and saw a 500L on the showroom floor. It was display only and roped off so no touchy and definitely not available to take for a spin.

It was mentioned in an earlier thread in this sub forum that this car doesn't photograph well and I have to agree. I wasn't completely sold on this car when I saw photos, and the molding on the side panels looked a bit chunky and sort of dated to me. But in person, this car really looked quite handsome (molding and all) solid, roomy and something my husband and I could see ourselves driving had we been in the market for a nicely priced and equipped 4-door family truckster. I would like to have been able to sit in the car just to get a feel for it, and would love to have seen the model that had the glass roof. It'll be interesting to see how the masses take to this car and if they will give other cars in its class a run for the money. I hope so.

Andree
06-01-2013, 06:04 PM
While poking around local dealerships online yesterday, I saw they all have a bunch of 500L in transport. No pics, just says 2014 Fiat, with the color and VIN. Prices are posted. No window sticker available. Bummer. I just tried. Nothing there. They don't come up on the Chrysler look-up page either.

Nevertheless, you can get an idea of what is coming in via the price and the color.

sjmst
06-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Man, those are the sloppiest vinyl wraps I've ever seen. Didn't they use a heat gun?
:tongue:

That's not shrink wrap, that's how they come. SpinningSmiley

In any case, I have seen them in person and still was not smitten. BUT, they seem like the kind of design that may look better on the road, the more you see of them. And I see several 500's a day now, and I predict the same will happen with the L.

Andree
06-03-2013, 08:47 PM
That's not shrink wrap, that's how they come. SpinningSmiley

In any case, I have seen them in person and still was not smitten. BUT, they seem like the kind of design that may look better on the road, the more you see of them. And I see several 500's a day now, and I predict the same will happen with the L.

Our 500s have the small advantage, in that they can have unique styling that looks "fun". As the vehicle size increases, with real, useable back seats, it has to become more utilitarian. There MUST be headroom in the back. It MUST be a bit wider to seat 3 in the back seat. It MUST have more space to stow luggage. It can't retain the same shape/dimensions.

I think the L will grow on people for what it can do, what it is, it's individual features coming into play to make for an all-around great car. It's a somewhat different market, considering family seating. The regular 500 is NOT a family car, it's a city car runabout, play car. The 500L IS a family car, or the car with all that wonderful space for those big shopping days, camping days, etc. Sometimes you have to have space and there is no way around it.

Thinking only of the need to seat five or the need for that level of cargo, you rule out the regular 500 immediately, and have to then take a look at what other cars are out there, that have similar space/seating/mpg.

Media mentions the Mini Countryman often for the comparison vehicle:
http://www.egmcartech.com/2013/05/31/fiat-prices-2014-500l-starting-at-19100-to-take-on-the-mini-countryman/

I think the Honda Fit would also be one to compare, and the 500L has many more options, such as the dual-zone climate control on the Lounge model. My former Fit never seemed to get "warm" throughout the vehicle and that's not good if you're a passenger in the back seat. Fit interior for the Sport with Nav is black. That's it. 500L much more horsepower. And that Trekking model is a great variation, I think that may be a top seller. It has that outdoorsy appeal that reminds me of Subaru-type vehicles, like the Forrester. But you have to go up to the 2.0XT Premium model ($27,995) before you get turbo-charged engine or rear-view camera. Unfortunately, their highway mpg on that model is 28. It does have all-wheel drive.

If you look at all three vehicles, Fiat 500L, Honda Fit, Subaru Forrester, guess which one stands out as the "FUN" car? Yep, it's our 500L.

Zipping over to the Mini site, the Mini Countryman starts at 22,500. While the 500L Pop starts at 19,100 (more than the base Fit, but with many more options available).

Comparing the cars that are somewhat similar will give buyers a new choice, with the 500L. 500L definitely has the upper hand when it comes to exterior color choices. Some colors you won't find on the other cars. And that can make a big difference when it comes to choosing a car.

sbulla
06-06-2013, 06:10 AM
Oh yea! My local studio has one on the way. A mocha latte priced at 24,500. That's all the information they are showing right now. Hope to be a new fiat owner soon!

Just checked the website again this morning and now it shows three on the way. The other two are white and forest green. Wonder how long it will take now?

Andree
06-06-2013, 08:46 AM
Oh yea! My local studio has one on the way. A mocha latte priced at 24,500. That's all the information they are showing right now. Hope to be a new fiat owner soon!

Just checked the website again this morning and now it shows three on the way. The other two are white and forest green. Wonder how long it will take now?

Get all three!

Do you have a preference?

Edit, I was just looking at these pictures, which I believe is the forest green:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-fiat-500l-first-drive/#photo-5784057

sbulla
06-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Oh I like that forest green, but the mocha lotte is pretty too. Don't really care for white cars, kinda boring, but I know a lot of people that will only buy white cars. Was really hoping I would get to see a yellow one but no sign of one yet.

cmj912
06-06-2013, 10:37 AM
As long as it doesn't look like an SUV, I'm in full support of whatever color you choose. :)

sbulla
06-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Thanks. I have been waiting for the 500Ls to get here before I bought a fiat. If I don't like these I'm getting a regular 500. I've already driven one and really liked it, but am thinking I would probably like to have more room. Either way I'm hoping to have one or the other by the end of the year.

bryanintowson
06-06-2013, 01:29 PM
@sbulla - Hope you join TEAM FIAT soon!

I don't miss a larger car at all with my 500 Lounge. I even use it to haul stuff to the dump where the workers there always get a chuckle seeing how much stuff I fit in the back with the seats down. I just put a blanket over the seatbacks and I'm good to go.

Andree
06-07-2013, 09:31 AM
Oh I like that forest green, but the mocha lotte is pretty too. Don't really care for white cars, kinda boring, but I know a lot of people that will only buy white cars. Was really hoping I would get to see a yellow one but no sign of one yet.

I was a white car person. I still would be if I could have found one in the plain white (not pearl). Night visibility and daytime cooling. Doing my part to cut back on the urban heat island effect via a car.

And yes, I do love the mocha latte. I go and play around on the UK configurator:

DowneasTTer
06-07-2013, 11:18 AM
I don't miss a larger car at all with my 500 Lounge. I even use it to haul stuff to the dump where the workers there always get a chuckle seeing how much stuff I fit in the back with the seats down. I just put a blanket over the seatbacks and I'm good to go.
[QUOTE=bryanintowson;611197]

Now that's funny b/c since buying my 500c I use my smart to go to the dump. The smart is now replacing my old saab 900 conv. My Fiat is now the BIG car and between the Fiat and the smart can do pretty much all I need without hauling around extra space & weight....:peaceful:

fiat30327
06-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Just got an email from my local Studio...they have 2 500L's that are about a week out and another 6 coming after that. Can't wait to see one in person....I missed the Atlanta Auto Show this winter so I still haven't seen one.

redred
06-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Fiat of Van Nuys just received a shipment of 500L's. Only the Pop and the Easy line ups for now. Trekking and Lounge to come later in the summer/early fall.

I zipped down to check them out. First off, I have to admit these things are surprisingly roomy! I am 6'1". Set the front seat to a very nice, comfortable position. Hopped in the back seat right behind the drivers side and I was quite comfortable.

Well appointed and seemingly versatile as well. I didn't get a chance to test drive one. They were still checking them in. I will swing by later this week and take one for a spin.

One thing I will note: the center armrest is LOADS better than the one on the Abarth! uConnect seems a lot better too. Plus they have integrated A2DP Bluetooth capabilities.

Andree
06-10-2013, 10:58 PM
Fiat of Van Nuys just received a shipment of 500L's. Only the Pop and the Easy line ups for now. Trekking and Lounge to come later in the summer/early fall.

I zipped down to check them out. First off, I have to admit these things are surprisingly roomy! I am 6'1". Set the front seat to a very nice, comfortable position. Hopped in the back seat right behind the drivers side and I was quite comfortable.

Well appointed and seemingly versatile as well. I didn't get a chance to test drive one. They were still checking them in. I will swing by later this week and take one for a spin.

One thing I will note: the center armrest is LOADS better than the one on the Abarth! uConnect seems a lot better too. Plus they have integrated A2DP Bluetooth capabilities.

I think they have one Lounge coming in:
http://www.fiatusaofvannuys.com/new/Fiat/2014-Fiat-0bf7371a0a0a0064004cbcafd039b411.htm

As I said in the other thread, there are three VIN/Model code differences. The VINs start with ZFBCFA, and are followed by an A, a B, or a C. I'm guessing A is Pop, B is Easy, C is Lounge. They have different model codes for each letter, and increase in price as the letters get further in the alphabet.

sbulla
06-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Got to look at the 500L today. Fresh off the truck. I didn't get a real good look because the wheels are still covered and they still have plastic on everything. The one I really liked was a white lounge with leather seats and navigation, it didn't have the sunroof and that was kind of disappointing but still a very cool car. I don't usually like white cars but it looks good on the lounge especially with the chrome strip on the side. Chrome door handles and mirrors are also nice. The interior was nice but a little boring, grey on grey. What really struck me was how roomy they are, anyone who likes fiats but thinks they are too small will love these cars. We are going back to drive it on Thursday. Our salesman said it would take all day tomorrow to get them ready to sell. We also got a forest green and a white easy, and a red pop.

Kurumi
06-18-2013, 09:09 PM
I drove a manual one from my local studio last week and it was nice. Turbo quiet, peppy but slow (sheer weight of it you can definitely feel). Spacious and it passes the mom test (she wants one now).

sbulla
06-20-2013, 09:28 PM
Got to drive a 500l lounge this evening. We're sold. Dealer is trying to find a white one with a black top or sun roof. The one we drove is white on white. They are so roomy they feel so much bigger inside than they really are. There is also lots of room in the back seat.

Flowride
06-20-2013, 10:16 PM
Nice ride with a few shortcomings. I've driven one here in Los Angeles, at the Fiat Thousand Oaks studio. It has some nice interior features, but even with the Abarth motor, it lacks power. I am unsure as to whether we'll purchase one, but we are waiting patiently for the 500e to arrive so we can drive it and compare it to the Chevy Volt. I am still in love with the Abarth, however.

sbulla
06-21-2013, 06:21 AM
Agreed it doesn't have tons of power but it is cute as a button, fun to drive and has plenty of room.

Andree
06-21-2013, 08:22 AM
Got to drive a 500l lounge this evening. We're sold. Dealer is trying to find a white one with a black top or sun roof. The one we drove is white on white. They are so roomy they feel so much bigger inside than they really are. There is also lots of room in the back seat.

I looked around your area last night on the dealer websites, and didn't find any white ones with sunroofs. You can pretty much tell by the MSRP as to what they have. Each dealer got ONE Lounge according to the online inventory.

You can play around with the Edmunds configurator (since the one at Fiat isn't up yet):
http://www.edmunds.com/fiat/500l/2014/options.html

That will give you the MSRP of what you want or might want, so that if you look for cars online, you know the minimum MSRP to look for.

It's kind of odd that as soon as you choose the painted roof, everything is force-changed. There are many combinations it won't allow. If you want white with black roof, you can only have the gray interior. If you want the painted pocket wheels, you have to get a whole bunch of options, including beats.

Info/warnings like "Your selection excludes the 17" Machined Aluminum Wheels (White Pocket) and requires Compact Spare Tire, Lounge Premier Package, Beats Premium Audio System, 17" Painted Aluminum Wheels. Continue with this change?" when I tried to choose the sunroof with the white body, black top, and had already checked the white pocket wheels.

edit
Oooh, Edmunds has a locator too, which might help you find a car. I used your local dealer zip code. There are 8 lounges (black, red, green), and none with sunroofs within 500 miles. Obviously Edmunds doesn't have all the dealerships, including YOUR dealership since it doesn't show the white one you test drove. LOL! (P.S. I love looking for Fiats online)

Andree
06-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Sbulla, you might be able to find a white Easy with black top and sunroof, there are a lot more Easys out there.

Here's one in Arizona: http://www.fiatusaofscottsdale.com/new/Fiat/2014-Fiat-500L-0bf6fd810a0a0049010a9da727dae535.htm

That one is a stick, not auto, and about $4,000 less than the Lounge.

It has the black/grey interior, and the black upper seat parts go perfectly with the black roof, while having the lighter grey below, so you don't have HOT SEATS if the car has been in the sun.

sbulla
06-21-2013, 10:35 AM
Thanks everyone. The sunroof is not a must, I just want the black roof and will take a sunroof if it has one. My dealer has an Easy with a black roof but the wheels and interior on the lounge are a lot nicer.

EDIT: The dealer just called and said they cannot locate what I want, then they suggested that they paint the top for me. My husband said he would have to think about that, sooooo, maybe I'll have it soon.

Andree
06-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Thanks everyone. The sunroof is not a must, I just want the black roof and will take a sunroof if it has one. My dealer has an Easy with a black roof but the wheels and interior on the lounge are a lot nicer.

EDIT: The dealer just called and said they cannot locate what I want, then they suggested that they paint the top for me. My husband said he would have to think about that, sooooo, maybe I'll have it soon.

This appears to be a white lounge with EVERYTHING except perhaps the compact spare tire. Using the Edmunds build thing, it requires the compact spare tire, when I choose the other options. So I'm not sure, but give them a call, you can have the car shipped to you, $27,445:
http://www.rickcasefiatusa.com/new/Fiat/2014-Fiat--Davie-FL-11f9133b0a0a0064004cbcaf8a568897.htm

Another loaded Lounge in white $27,445 (also missing something that costs 450):
http://www.fiatusaoforangepark.com/new/Fiat/2014-Fiat-35cea5d10a0a0069019bf2ac5e2e7872.htm

There are a few white lounges with one $500 option, which should be the painted roof (black), as choosing the wheels (500) also requires Beats (500):
MSRP 24,195
plus destination 800

http://www.fiatusaofwestmiami.com/new/Fiat/2014-Fiat-1c45ca1a0a0a00de004389355ea11d2c.htm

http://www.fiatusaofnorthmiami.com/new/Fiat/2014-Fiat-11067b6f0a0a0069019bf2ac1992904a.htm

Remember, all Lounges are automatic dual clutch, no stick available.

This is the option list from Edmunds:

Roof
$455
$500

Choose Mechanical Options

Invoice
MSRP

Engine Block Heater
$46
$50

Choose Interior Options

Invoice
MSRP

Beats Premium Audio System
$455
$500

Choose Exterior Options

Invoice
MSRP

Compact Spare Tire
$410
$450

Power Sunroof
info
$865
$950

17" Machined Aluminum Wheels (White Pocket)
info
$455
$500

17" Painted Aluminum Wheels
info
$455
$500

17" Machined Aluminum Wheels (Black Pocket)
info
$455
$500

Invoice
MSRP

Destination Fee
$800
$800

sbulla
06-21-2013, 03:21 PM
Thank you for looking those up Andree. Will call this evening and find out about them. Everyone on this forum seems so nice and helpful. Can't wait to tell you all about my new Fiat when I get it.

Felnus
06-21-2013, 04:50 PM
If you are in situation where you can wait a bit, you could order exactly what you want or hold off until the next shipments arrive, which may have a better selection.

Curious
06-21-2013, 07:41 PM
If you are in situation where you can wait a bit, you could order exactly what you want or hold off until the next shipments arrive, which may have a better selection.

Most interesting to hear. From everything I have herd dealers can not order a 500L to be built from the factory just the way a customer wants. Do you have some inside info that they will soon be able to custom order? Love to know when or if that may be possible. Thanks mucho.

Felnus
06-21-2013, 07:52 PM
Most interesting to hear. From everything I have herd dealers can not order a 500L to be built from the factory just the way a customer wants. Do you have some inside info that they will soon be able to custom order? Love to know when or if that may be possible. Thanks mucho.

That's pretty surprising that a dealer can't order a 500L to suit a customer request. Generally speaking, a dealer(of just about any vehicle) is given an allotment of vehicles which they pick the options, colors, etc. to be delivered to the dealership on a regular basis. Different options and colors sell differently in various parts of the country and the dealerships usually have a good idea of what will sell in a region and what won't. If a customer wants something specific, they just ditch one of their orders on an upcoming allotment and replace it with the customer request. It may take six to eight weeks to get the vehicle but it will be exactly what the customer wants. It is possible that FIAT dealers couldn't do custom orders on the first allotment of 500Ls(the ones arriving at the "studios" now) but it would be rather odd if they can't do it on a future allotment order.

Curious
06-21-2013, 07:58 PM
That's pretty surprising that a dealer can't order a 500L to suit a customer request. Generally speaking, a dealer(of just about any vehicle) is given an allotment of vehicles which they pick the options, colors, etc. to be delivered to the dealership on a regular basis. Different options and colors sell differently in various parts of the country and the dealerships usually have a good idea of what will sell in a region and what won't. If a customer wants something specific, they just ditch one of their orders on an upcoming allotment and replace it with the customer request. It may take six to eight weeks to get the vehicle but it will be exactly what the customer wants. It is possible that FIAT dealers couldn't do custom orders on the first allotment of 500Ls(the ones arriving at the "studios" now) but it would be rather odd if they can't do it on a future allotment order.

I tend to agree. Am certain they may not be able to custom order right away, may be a month or more before Fiat allows that. Would rather wait to order exactly what I want, and wait some time to get it than to just get the closest thing they can get for now. Thanks again for your comments.

Andree
06-21-2013, 08:06 PM

I think the dealers must have had some input on the first order, since it would be very strange for one dealer to get nothing but black/white. One red Pop, the rest are black or white:
http://www.fiatusaofknoxvilletn.com/new-inventory/index.htm?SByear=2014&SBmake=clear&SBmodel=clear&SBtrim=clear&SBbodystyle=clear&SBprice=clear

Just down the road, all sorts of color:
http://www.fiatusaofchattanooga.com/new-inventory/index.htm?SByear=2014&SBmake=clear&SBmodel=clear&SBtrim=clear&SBbodystyle=clear&SBprice=clear

Andree
06-21-2013, 08:10 PM
I tend to agree. Am certain they may not be able to custom order right away, may be a month or more before Fiat allows that. Would rather wait to order exactly what I want, and wait some time to get it than to just get the closest thing they can get for now. Thanks again for your comments.

Or you can search online to find the car you want, and have it shipped to you. Shipping costs extra, but you get what you want now. If you want, I can look around (which I love to do). I'd need to know what state you're in, and what exactly you want.

Curious
06-21-2013, 08:17 PM
Or you can search online to find the car you want, and have it shipped to you. Shipping costs extra, but you get what you want now. If you want, I can look around (which I love to do). I'd need to know what state you're in, and what exactly you want.

I am seeing my dealer tomorrow to test drive one. He was checking with his Fiat rep about ordering for me. I'll sen you a p m if his rep says he can not custom order.

sbulla
06-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Going to call tomorrow on the white lounges you found for me Andree. Think we decided against painting the roof black, the car would have to be taken apart to make it look right. The easy would have to have too many alterations to get what we want (wheels, seats, door panels, and fog lamps). Wish the websites would hurry up with pictures.

Andree
06-21-2013, 09:10 PM
Going to call tomorrow on the white lounges you found for me Andree. Think we decided against painting the roof black, the car would have to be taken apart to make it look right. The easy would have to have too many alterations to get what we want (wheels, seats, door panels, and fog lamps). Wish the websites would hurry up with pictures.

Great! Yeah, I agree, don't start painting stuff when you can probably find one already painted and just the way you want it. Or closer, much closer to what you want. Besides, they're going to charge you to paint it, and you might as well put that money towards shipping a car, which should be under $1,000, possibly around 500-600 bucks. This has the opposite route and it's not exact, but they say $595: http://www.autotransportaat.com/tennessee/tennessee-to-florida-auto-transport/

Yes, the pictures and a DESCRIPTION with listing of options would do the trick. One or the other would tell the whole story, all you need to make the decision. You have four to check on, so hopefully one of them has all the goodies you want! It would take about a week or two to get the car delivered to your front door.

Edit: Yes, other people have had their cars shipped to them, I recall photos of a 500 still on the truck tucked neatly in behind the cab of the transport truck. Here's the thread with the photo of the car on the transport truck:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?8074-What-should-I-expect/page2

Felnus
06-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Ship it? Poo on that. Road trip!

sbulla
06-21-2013, 09:37 PM
Yea I can wait, but I really want to take advantage of the low interest rates Fiat has right now, don't think they will stay this low for long. And I'm thinking that since each dealer only has one lounge each that they won't be around very long.

Andree
06-21-2013, 09:54 PM
Yea I can wait, but I really want to take advantage of the low interest rates Fiat has right now, don't think they will stay this low for long. And I'm thinking that since each dealer only has one lounge each that they won't be around very long.

Yes, time is of the essence if you're looking to buy now, and want a Lounge. Not everyone will do what I have done, which is search the dealer websites, and figured out the VIN, and checked the Edmunds options area. So, without a picture or the word "Lounge", all I need is the VIN, the color, and the MSRP. One of the two, if not both, of the loaded models should have EVERYTHING you want.

Chris, this site's owner, said that the next shipment was supposed to have more Trekking models, and would be here in about 45 days. This last shipment had mostly Easy models, with a Pop or two for each dealership, and one Lounge. If the next shipment is short on Lounges, then it's probably another 45 days, and then you're looking at 3 months. September.

Meanwhile, there may be the vehicle you want sitting on a lot right now (or in the process of being transported to that dealership).

sbulla
06-22-2013, 09:24 PM
So it seems the white Lounges that were shipped all have white roofs, unless they have a sunroof, and we have decided that we don't want a sunroof. We've checked every dealer we could find that has a white lounge plus our dealer has been searching also. They found 3 in Kentucky, but they all have sunroofs. I think we will probably get the one with the white roof. We found out we can order what we want, but it would probably take a few months or longer to get. I may be posting pictures soon!!

Andree
06-22-2013, 10:11 PM
So it seems the white Lounges that were shipped all have white roofs, unless they have a sunroof, and we have decided that we don't want a sunroof. We've checked every dealer we could find that has a white lounge plus our dealer has been searching also. They found 3 in Kentucky, but they all have sunroofs. I think we will probably get the one with the white roof. We found out we can order what we want, but it would probably take a few months or longer to get. I may be posting pictures soon!!

That's good news, sort of, and you don't have to travel or have anything shipped if you can buy at home! Yay for that part.

I did more looking around in MY state, and found this one dealer supposedly added on $2,600 worth of stuff to their Lounge, which they claim is the only Lounge available in California:
http://www.ocfiat.com/new/FIAT/2014-FIAT-500L-0bfb54a50a0a00e001db4b8844c7de91.htm

If it's that bow on the top, I'm sure we could get a big bow for less. I looked at the pictures, I don't see anything different about the Lounge than any other loaded Lounge.

Here's another Lounge (in California) at the regular price of 27,445 (loaded), and I'm not seeing a difference between them.
http://www.fiatusaofriverside.com/new/FIAT/2014-FIAT-500L-fc83faa90a0a0002018f48a168388c37.htm

So that does confirm the sunroof and painted roof for the 27,445 MSRP price. I also noticed that the sunroof deletes the extra rear mirror, because that's where the sunroof controls go.

All-white exterior is what I had on my two previous cars. It's much cooler inside with white on the outside, cooler around the car too, on hot days. And the vehicle is more visible at night, which I think is a good safety feature. I looked for all white originally for my Fiat, but couldn't find the gloss in a 500 Lounge. Just the pearl.

Hoping you get your new 500L Lounge soon!