PDA

View Full Version : 500L sunroof sun screen and spare tire location

Curious
05-26-2013, 01:38 PM
I have seen lots of pictures of the sunroof interior. And I have seen several videos of the sunroof interior. Have also seen several videos of the sunroof opening and closing. I can see that the sunscreen appears to be tan in color. I wonder how the sun screen opens and closes. Love to know if there is a seprate motor that opens and closes the sunscreen with the touch of a button. Or does one have to open and close it manually? It would be hard to close it from the drivers seat if it is way back just above the luggage area. Has anyone seen this car and seen how the sunscreen opens and closes? Love to know.

Also love to know if the mini spare is under the car or if you get to it from the trunk area. Does anyone know for certain?

ciddyguy
05-26-2013, 06:10 PM
Curious,

I just found a video that should answer the sunroof inquiry of yours for the 500L. It's from Italiaspeed TV, titled, Outlet Tour.

Here is the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxBl9APxbiU

part way in, someone opens the sunroof, the shade appears to be solid, unlike in the 500, and is indeed electrically operated, so when you open the sunroof, the shade will then open all the way back to reveal the entire panoramic roof, though only the front portion opens. I found another video where you see from above, the roof opens, over the rear roof panel, just like in the smaller 500.

The panel appears to be opened/closed separately from the sunroof itself.

Hope this helps!

Mike S
05-26-2013, 06:40 PM
Glove box refrigerator? I'm sold.

Andree
05-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Everyone is having too much fun in that video! I didn't realize that the panoramic roof opened.

I'll say it again: I wish my parents had one of these when I was a kid and we went on road trips. I would have been in staring-out-the-window-bliss.

And I would totally recommend this car to parents that take longer trips. I'm over 50 and I still remember staring at the back of the seat in front of me with no big window to look out of as a kid. Yeah, I'm still hating it. Forty some odd years later, I'm still hating not having a big window and a door and a proper back seat in my parents various cars. Do your kids a favor, get them the big window, the door of their own. Bonus, the big open roof to look out of. Even if it was too hot in the day to have the screen open, I'm thinking of all the stars that could be seen at night.

Andree
05-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Glove box refrigerator? I'm sold.

This is also the vehicle with the espresso maker.

Edit: Maybe.

http://www.gizmag.com/fiat-500-l-built-in-espresso-machine/23352/

RedAbarth
05-26-2013, 07:12 PM
Reminds me of riding in the Northern Pacific Railway "North Coast Limited" Vista Dome back in the 60s...ahhh, such fun...

Curious
05-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Everyone is having too much fun in that video! I didn't realize that the panoramic roof opened.

I'll say it again: I wish my parents had one of these when I was a kid and we went on road trips. I would have been in staring-out-the-window-bliss.

And I would totally recommend this car to parents that take longer trips. I'm over 50 and I still remember staring at the back of the seat in front of me with no big window to look out of as a kid. Yeah, I'm still hating it. Forty some odd years later, I'm still hating not having a big window and a door and a proper back seat in my parents various cars. Do your kids a favor, get them the big window, the door of their own. Bonus, the big open roof to look out of. Even if it was too hot in the day to have the screen open, I'm thinking of all the stars that could be seen at night.

There's two glass roofs to pick from, one is a fixed glass panoramic roof with glass from front to rear, the other is a traditional sunroof where the front glass section opens up(slides on the top of the roof like the 500 does) and behind that front glass panel is more glass all the way to the rear, so back seat passengers can stargaze.

Curious
05-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Curious,

I just found a video that should answer the sunroof inquiry of yours for the 500L. It's from Italiaspeed TV, titled, Outlet Tour.

Here is the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxBl9APxbiU

part way in, someone opens the sunroof, the shade appears to be solid, unlike in the 500, and is indeed electrically operated, so when you open the sunroof, the shade will then open all the way back to reveal the entire panoramic roof, though only the front portion opens. I found another video where you see from above, the roof opens, over the rear roof panel, just like in the smaller 500.

The panel appears to be opened/closed separately from the sunroof itself.

Hope this helps!

I had not seen that video, sunshade mystery solved. Thanks much.

Fiat500USA
05-26-2013, 10:55 PM
I have seen lots of pictures of the sunroof interior. And I have seen several videos of the sunroof interior. Have also seen several videos of the sunroof opening and closing. I can see that the sunscreen appears to be tan in color. I wonder how the sun screen opens and closes. Love to know if there is a seprate motor that opens and closes the sunscreen with the touch of a button. Or does one have to open and close it manually? It would be hard to close it from the drivers seat if it is way back just above the luggage area. Has anyone seen this car and seen how the sunscreen opens and closes? Love to know.

Also love to know if the mini spare is under the car or if you get to it from the trunk area. Does anyone know for certain?

Spare tire from inside:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-q99Q9LgHy5w/UP39wOat-BI/AAAAAAAARS0/cGK5CwD3lPg/s640/Fiat500USA.com-Fiat-at-detroit2%2520001.JPG

Curious
05-27-2013, 02:04 PM
Spare tire from inside:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-q99Q9LgHy5w/UP39wOat-BI/AAAAAAAARS0/cGK5CwD3lPg/s640/Fiat500USA.com-Fiat-at-detroit2%2520001.JPG

Another mystery solved. I did see one video of this car where someone opened up the interior mat, just below the cargo shelf. Had to pause it to see what was under there. In that car there was no spare, in that space I believe was the Hi-Fi by Beats system. Download the brochure from the U K site and you will then see that you can't get the mini spare when you get this stereo system upgrade. Anyway glad to see that the mini spare is accessible from the trunk and not from under the car. Who wants to crawl under a car to get to a spare or to stow a flat tire? Thanks again for solving that mystery.

Jahna
01-01-2016, 03:31 PM
I have a 2014 fiat 500L trekking & there is NO SPARE TIRE, which shocked me! Under the trunk base inside the car there is some tire sealant & a air pump that plugs into the car if you have a flat

Fiat500USA
01-01-2016, 04:27 PM
Spare tires are becoming rarer and rarer these days as most people can't change a tire, and it cuts down on a lot of weight which improves fuel economy. If a spare is desired, a kit may be purchased from the dealer: http://www.fiat500usa.com/2013/10/fiat-500l-spare-tire-kit-available.html

CoachRick
01-01-2016, 06:35 PM
I have a 2014 fiat 500L trekking & there is NO SPARE TIRE, which shocked me! Under the trunk base inside the car there is some tire sealant & a air pump that plugs into the car if you have a flat

Yep...Do NOT rip a sidewall or have a blowout! You have been warned ;)

Slovakman
01-08-2016, 06:28 PM
i have a 2014 500L Easy, and it has the mini spare tire located under the rear of the car. The jack handle has an open end socket like fitting that fits down into a bolt down in the floor of the trunk area, and you crank it to lower the spare via a cable. Then there is a fitting that you release to unattached the spare for use as needed. I did it for practice when I first got the car just to make sure I could do it if I had a flat somewhere. iT isn't bad, but is kind of hard to check the air pressure w/o cranking it down to so I'd it has enough air in it. Seems like most of the 500Ls DONT have the spare, but am glad that mine does. I am not sure what determines which models get a spare and which models get a can of fix a flat, perhaps it is what kind of tire they install at the factory in Serbia. BTW, I have had my 500L now for exactly a year, it has 22,000 miles, and has been stone reliable...I LOVE the car!!!!