PDA

View Full Version : Best bang for buck mod?

13VaAbarth
05-24-2013, 10:28 PM
I am getting the mod itch some and since money is tight right now I want to know what is the best bag for the buck mod performance or appearance.

Tweak
05-24-2013, 10:51 PM
I have to say a perf mod and that mod being an ECU upgrade, I personally chose the TMC but now a couple vendors have a TMC based unit I'd likely go with, I like the added power probably more than anything else and someone recently said if it were for the mod they'd likely not own the car. (They had a pedal mod as well but the ECU is the better of the two I think, both is just awesome of course).

Abarth Five O
05-24-2013, 11:23 PM
CAI then ECU.

DS Ocampo
05-25-2013, 01:03 AM
Buy a gas station :)...

ECU , well when they come out with one, till then TMC piggy back is nice.. check classifieds first save some money

Abarth Phreak
05-25-2013, 01:29 AM
I am getting the mod itch some and since money is tight right now I want to know what is the best bag for the buck mod performance or appearance.

My Abarth valve stem covers were only $6.00 shipped from china....and look great!

FTY
05-25-2013, 03:06 AM
Performance wise.....a piggyback unit, either TMC or Preferably RRM(tweaked TMC). Looks definitely springs' my suggestions either neu-fs or eibach sport lines. For sound and a smaller amount of power an intake. Lots of choices that can be done on a budget.

05-25-2013, 07:18 AM
No arguments hands down an ECM.

Seafarer61
05-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Abarths run pig rich so a piggyback would be the best bang for the buck mod though I'm not so sure it's one you want to chase if dreaded CELs spook you. I haven't bought a piggy back to date that didn't throw 'em occasionally.

13VaAbarth
05-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Anything Ecu related im gonna wait till I have more mods on like intake and throttlebody and I was thinking springs since they are pretty cheap 200 to 250 but how much would a install on that would be I dunno. then I gotta get a alignment aver that too.

Haring
05-25-2013, 09:12 PM
If I had to do it all over again and could only pick one I'd have a hard time choosing between springs and the intake.

Gigante
05-25-2013, 09:29 PM
Hey 13VaAbarth, The Abarth already has a great engine right out of the box and you have the nice 17" wheels. I would lower the car and you will be amazed at the difference in handling and you will really enjoy the look. IMHO, you will be more pleased with the look at this point.

Good luck in whatever you decide as it will only make the car more enjoyable.

Tweak
05-25-2013, 10:31 PM
Abarths run pig rich so a piggyback would be the best bang for the buck mod though I'm not so sure it's one you want to chase if dreaded CELs spook you. I haven't bought a piggy back to date that didn't throw 'em occasionally.

I don't know if this will jinx me but I have only used the TMC unit, setting level 8 for several months and now level 9 (highest) for a bit over a month and I have not once had any problems or a CEL, hopefully that won't come anytime soon! I am not saying it isn't possible of course, just saying I think it might be from other mods in addition to the ECU mod most likely. :)

charliesheen
05-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Anything Ecu related im gonna wait till I have more mods on like intake and throttlebody and I was thinking springs since they are pretty cheap 200 to 250 but how much would a install on that would be I dunno. then I gotta get a alignment aver that too.

Let me know if you get any quotes or hookups on the install. I am ready to buy some springs, but got quoted 270 for the install by 1 guy. Seems too steep for a job that easy (im contemplating renting the equipment from Pep Boys and doing it myself)

OP - I am pretty much in the same boat as you, and I've decided my first mod is going to be an intake because it gives u a little more HP/better response AND it makes all the right noises. Compared to other mods in that price range, that seems to be the best bang for your buck. ECM is nice, but I am gonna wait on that and install only when I get bored of the current power. If looks is what you are after, i'd go for springs, as it ll make taking turns more fun and will look better.

DS Ocampo
05-26-2013, 03:00 AM
Let me know if you get any quotes or hookups on the install. I am ready to buy some springs, but got quoted 270 for the install by 1 guy. Seems too steep for a job that easy (im contemplating renting the equipment from Pep Boys and doing it myself)

OP - I am pretty much in the same boat as you, and I've decided my first mod is going to be an intake because it gives u a little more HP/better response AND it makes all the right noises. Compared to other mods in that price range, that seems to be the best bang for your buck. ECM is nice, but I am gonna wait on that and install only when I get bored of the current power. If looks is what you are after, i'd go for springs, as it ll make taking turns more fun and will look better.

I did that and had this all done before lunch... way too easy to do.. I don't even think I got dirty changing them out... save the money grab a friend and a beer and turn up the music... get more pride in doing MODS (within our mechanical limits)

DS Ocampo
05-26-2013, 03:48 AM
Buy a CAI.. cheap mod... then go to a local muffler guy and get a custom axle back exhaust made with a true Y.. got mine done at B&M muffler in Avondale for 100 :) very happy and sounds amazing as well as feels great in high RPM

13VaAbarth
05-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Is really that easy to do lowering springs im not that mechanically inclined but I do have some friends that are somewhat able to do more than me. Id know if I do springs ill want to get the top mount kit and still need an alignment. Only question now is what brand of springs and how low do I actually want to go cause I do love the look of the low car but this is my daily and the roads around here aren't perfect so I still want some bit of comfort if possible.

DS Ocampo
05-26-2013, 12:27 PM
Got the 2" drop from madness took about an hour to install with my brother.. only a few bolts there's write ups on here how to do it.. basic tools and rent a spring compressor from pepboys.. love how it rides now.. I still go over speed bumps fine

13VaAbarth
05-27-2013, 09:25 AM
Its not speed bumps im worried about not many around here its more like rough patched up poorly roads and maybe a pot hole or two. I don't want the car crashing over the bumps I want more of a absorb. from it I know lowering with make it stiffer but I don't want too stiff. Might read more reviews on here and then decide.