PDA

View Full Version : Any Updates on ECU Flashes?

turbocharged
05-23-2013, 02:53 PM
Anyone know if there are any updates regarding the ECU flashes some of the tuners were working on? I thought we would have heard back on progress by now. Hopefully the effort isn't losing steam.

sfhpawel
05-23-2013, 04:25 PM
yea I would like to know the same, I've been browsing several forums including the Dodge Dart.....
I may have misread but a rumor is going around that the Dart will no longer be sporting the 1.4L multi-air which may hinder some development across the whole board. This will prove to be true if the market was heavily dependent on people modifying the Dart...

FiatCares
05-30-2013, 05:21 PM
Anyone know if there are any updates regarding the ECU flashes some of the tuners were working on? I thought we would have heard back on progress by now. Hopefully the effort isn't losing steam.

I have no current updates, but I will do some research and get back with you all.

dart1.4t
05-30-2013, 05:59 PM
yea I would like to know the same, I've been browsing several forums including the Dodge Dart.....
I may have misread but a rumor is going around that the Dart will no longer be sporting the 1.4L multi-air which may hinder some development across the whole board. This will prove to be true if the market was heavily dependent on people modifying the Dart...

what i read it it may remain as an economy motor like maybe for the areo only. it would be a bad decision if you ask me. yeah they get a lot of complaints but they can fix the issues. the car does run differently if you turn off traction control before you start the car so cancelling the engine now before a reflash would be premature. but a slightly bigger multiair or other vvt turbo motor would be nice. anyway i got my 1.4 multi air so that's good enough for me.

shagghie
05-30-2013, 06:34 PM
what i read it it may remain as an economy motor like maybe for the areo only. it would be a bad decision if you ask me. yeah they get a lot of complaints but they can fix the issues. the car does run differently if you turn off traction control before you start the car so cancelling the engine now before a reflash would be premature. but a slightly bigger multiair or other vvt turbo motor would be nice. anyway i got my 1.4 multi air so that's good enough for me.
And at the same time, IIRC, the mutliair is going to be the 'world engine' next year too... pushing out the T-jet and going into global mass production. And depending on the outcome of the trial going on, Fiat may be buying even more Chrysler in the very near future, even as Chrysler is booming while Fiat is hurting. Things are getting interesting!

turbocharged
06-03-2013, 02:10 PM
anyone here about this: http://dyno-comp.com/blog/2012/06/fiat-500-abarth-stage-1-ecu-upgrade/

Wish it was obdII flash so you could revert to stock when needed. They do not post much detail beyond performance gains.

looks like they are based out of AZ?

DS Ocampo
06-03-2013, 06:46 PM
anyone here about this: http://dyno-comp.com/blog/2012/06/fiat-500-abarth-stage-1-ecu-upgrade/

Wish it was obdII flash so you could revert to stock when needed. They do not post much detail beyond performance gains.

Guess I'll make a road trip when I get back to check this out unless someone else from Az beats me to it

KKaWing
06-03-2013, 07:01 PM

Umm... has anyone noticed the Abarth's rear wheels not the front is on the rollers? :rofl:

shagghie
06-03-2013, 07:13 PM

They say it can be reverted back to stock when you take it to dealership. I have an email in to them to clarify how, and if/how the Sport button is utilized in general, as well as asking how the tune will respond to more air via CAI or ported TB, exhaust, etc.

dart1.4t
06-03-2013, 07:46 PM
They say it can be reverted back to stock when you take it to dealership. I have an email in to them to clarify how, and if/how the Sport button is utilized in general, as well as asking how the tune will respond to more air via CAI or ported TB, exhaust, etc.

i hope he doesn't mean the dealer can take it back to stock... if they haven't figured out an obd2 handshake i'm guessing they are doing this with a jtag device. i wonder if the ecu has a connector for a jtag or if they are doing some soldering? i'm sure this is something that some of my computer genius friends can figure out. the obd2 part, maybe, maybe not, there are many devices out there with handshakes that are yet to be broken by developers but there are many more that have been figured out. how much would a replacement ecu from the dealer cost i wonder?

wsanders20002
06-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Wondering if this is a dumb idea: Buying a second ECU (can purchase around $400) and having it remapped and using it and having the original ECU to return back to if I needed?

dart1.4t
06-03-2013, 07:48 PM
that would be a good idea. if you can afford the extra $400.

deathshead
06-03-2013, 08:38 PM
that would be a good idea. if you can afford the extra $400.

then then the cost of a dealer flashing your VIN, etc...
Its not like we are swapping out any old ECU like we used to be able to do...:(

Tweak
06-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Umm... has anyone noticed the Abarth's rear wheels not the front is on the rollers? :rofl:

That's just how awesome they are, they made so much power the rear wheels even start spinning! Good catch, really is a funny thing to see. I guess they needed a ad pic and didn't think it through completely. :D

deathshead
06-03-2013, 08:51 PM
And at the same time, IIRC, the mutliair is going to be the 'world engine' next year too... pushing out the T-jet and going into global mass production. And depending on the outcome of the trial going on, Fiat may be buying even more Chrysler in the very near future, even as Chrysler is booming while Fiat is hurting. Things are getting interesting!

The 1.4 Multiair will be around for a good while, I think there was 1 guy who claims to work in Auburn hills on the Dart forums that mentioned something to this effect.
and he drives a Buick..

Dont forget the 1.4 MA comes from the Abarth Punto Evo, the Mito
Look familliar?
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01492/alfa-multiair_1492048c.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UCjXOIhYDwc/Ts-ltt-9TpI/AAAAAAAACsk/IXS8Rfiz7a0/s1600/2010-Fiat-Abarth-Punto-Evo-Engine.jpg

shagghie
06-04-2013, 12:32 PM

Here's the skinny: It is indeed a bench flash only. the Sport Button 'activates' the tune, otherwise you remain in normal 'non-sport' mode (so the button basically is like sport mode on steroids). You can mail them in your ECU and have it flashed, and if you need to you can mail it in to have it flashed back to stock any time. Of course if you are local in AZ you can just drive it in and they will flash/re-flash as needed. They didn't think an OBD-2 solution was ever going to be in the works (at least for them) based on how 'complex' the MM ECU is (we know this). I have another question into them about how they handle when a customer does hardware upgrades/mods, etc., but no word back yet. Only other thing I learned is that the local Abarth market in AZ, they think, is too small for them to also develop other parts like they do for other cars (DP's, exhausts, yada yada).

The one GOOD thing they have going for them no matter how you cut it: They have a proper ECU tune and it is ready now.

I think I'll be holding off for an OBD2-tune, since I am in So Cal (not AZ), and I know several shops are working on one.

turbocharged
06-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Thanks for looking into that Shagghie, I'm in NYC so I'll also be waiting for an OBDII solution.

WegoFaster@Ambient Thermal Management
06-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Thanks for looking into that Shagghie, I'm in NYC so I'll also be waiting for an OBDII solution.

We are working on it.....

2Cool
06-04-2013, 04:13 PM

Looks like a 4 wheel dyno that they have just pulled the car onto for the picture. It isn't even strapped down. Appears that they are about to drive it forward to the rollers ahead of the car for testing.

shagghie
06-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Looks like a 4 wheel dyno that they have just pulled the car onto for the picture. It isn't even strapped down. Appears that they are about to drive it forward to the rollers ahead of the car for testing.

yeah, I confirmed with them it was just a marketing photo opportunity and they know the rollers are under the wrong wheels, and...they don't care... just a pic.

dart1.4t
06-04-2013, 06:28 PM
then then the cost of a dealer flashing your VIN, etc...
Its not like we are swapping out any old ECU like we used to be able to do...:(

he asked about flashing the replacment ecu, not the factory one. will in not run without a vin flashed to it? you could just use the factory ecu for inspections.

deathshead
06-04-2013, 09:25 PM
he asked about flashing the replacment ecu, not the factory one. will in not run without a vin flashed to it? you could just use the factory ecu for inspections.

You have to get the dealer to program the ECU to the vin I believe unless whoever is doing the tune can add all this stuff.

dart1.4t
06-04-2013, 09:35 PM
You have to get the dealer to program the ECU to the vin I believe unless whoever is doing the tune can add all this stuff.

i'm sure they can,(in theory) i mean if they are doing the tune without an obd2 interface they probably have the skills to find that data. do they know off hand or are they willing to take the time is another question. i know the vin is needed for state inspections but i don't know why you would need that for the car to run.

deathshead
06-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Only time will tell!

Mike S
06-05-2013, 01:10 PM
i'm sure they can,(in theory) i mean if they are doing the tune without an obd2 interface they probably have the skills to find that data. do they know off hand or are they willing to take the time is another question. i know the vin is needed for state inspections but i don't know why you would need that for the car to run.

IPD (Volvo tuners) sold software and an OBDII interface. The stock tune and any other information on the ECU would be downloaded and emailed to IPD for a custom tune including all modifications such as a larger diameter down pipe. Each modification requires a change in the tune to get the maximum benefit.

No need for the dealer to be involved and before any service the stock tune could be reloaded.

It also included a data logger.

sfhpawel
06-05-2013, 01:26 PM
IPD (Volvo tuners) sold software and an OBDII interface. The stock tune and any other information on the ECU would be downloaded and emailed to IPD for a custom tune including all modifications such as a larger diameter down pipe. Each modification requires a change in the tune to get the maximum benefit.

No need for the dealer to be involved and before any service the stock tune could be reloaded.

It also included a data logger.

Or like a COBB accessport for an STI the thing is sick, i got one for my brothers bday. same concept. download maps online. 5 minutes to flash the ecu.
Anti-theft mode,Valet mode, eco, mode, stfu&holdon mode... all the bells and whistles, live datalogging! Obviously there is a bigger market for it, but still compare my $600 spent to a $900+ 'secret' operations box. Dont need your pitty keep your remote!

Anyways ... something needs to happen ... i might have to take a Fiat Tech / ecu programmer and start holding people hostage :)

DS Ocampo
06-06-2013, 01:53 PM
Shagghie Ill be going into this place in just a few to get this done... let everyone know how it goes and the dyno results after it... will ask about the additional MODs when Im there... maybe they can work off my car for one... keep ya'll posted.. brb

shagghie
06-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Shagghie Ill be going into this place in just a few to get this done... let everyone know how it goes and the dyno results after it... will ask about the additional MODs when Im there... maybe they can work off my car for one... keep ya'll posted.. brb

Wonderful man, congrats! Curious to see if their tune dials IN or OUT the backfires on WOT shifts. I'm really hoping for a nice big buldgy torque curve that starts lower in the RPMs too.
Since they have a dyno in house, they should be able to accommodate mods as you add them over time. That's usually a common 'feature' of a tuning shop. They may charge you a small fee for a new map, but it should be something you are comfortable with and makes sense for you over the life of the car. Can't wait to see the Dyno results... MAD CURIOUS!

2Cool
06-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Be sure to post results with SAE corrected dyno graphs and a/f. I would also love a redline bump upwards at least 500rpm, I hit it hard on many first gear launches because the motor is still pulling so hard.

Looking forward to some solid info on an ECU tune.

DS Ocampo
06-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Here at the shop now working on deals and group buys..

How many would be interested in this?? Yes it will be tuned with your MODs..

If in az .. Yes they read my flash from OBDll..

They will be using my car for various options... So it will be a few days of testing for a perfect tune... I leave for Georgia tomorrow but will see if my brother can drop this off

DS Ocampo
06-06-2013, 05:16 PM
They also wanted to work on a better turbo option, but unless they are flood with possible buyers they will not proceed.. I might just figure this out with them so a kit will be available later.. They are happy to use it to test fit..

Anyone selling a DP ?? Need one for testing.. They have a program to keep that code off and want to try it out.. Looking to buy one PM Me

shagghie
06-06-2013, 05:22 PM
PM'd .... thanks for leading the way for us.

DS Ocampo
06-06-2013, 05:41 PM
if someone wants to hit me up that has a stock 2012 abarth for dyno testing please hit me up... ill pay for it.. need a good base then one with my MODs (madness intake,MPxTB,custom exhaust).. then one after this tune i put in... keep in mind please that its summer season here in AZ and already hitting 108+ so results back in your area will vary..

Shagghie thanks for the PM I hit you back already... yes they have done this with many other cars they have built and were featured in many mags... they said it can be done and they have the software to try it out.. ill be the tester for this..

ECU flash once again

talking to the guys there yes they did work and flash a Abarth and saw great results, but the car was not modded... I asked if they can do a custom tune and flash from OBDll and they said yes after I watched them.. The guy said rewriting should be easy after they dyno and tweek things to get the most out of each MOD installed and make a custom map.. They are happy to see emails from everyone on the forums, but cannot make all their ideas final unless more people are demanding it... Arizona has many older gents that drive these cars and not the younger crowd trying to see how far they can push the limits of their cars...

Turbos is also something they want to do and one of the main things they wanted to R&D. The turbo they said will be very ballenced for driving, but will be way better and produce way better power on demand. Will keep everyone posted on this as well, but who will be intrested in this??

IF WE WANT TO PUSH FORWARD PLEASE SEND THEM AN EMAIL STATING THAT YOU WOULD LIKE THEM TO MAKE ECU FLASHES AND TURBO UPGRADES.. like they are doing on Nicholas Ocampo's Fiat Abarth..

Jjm4life
06-06-2013, 05:53 PM
Maybe i missed it, but what shop is actually tuning

DS Ocampo
06-06-2013, 06:22 PM
Maybe i missed it, but what shop is actually tuning

http://dyno-comp.com/blog/2012/06/fiat-500-abarth-stage-1-ecu-upgrade/

DS Ocampo
06-06-2013, 07:24 PM
car will be going into the shop 7Jun2013.. Pricing will be posted later after all the details are out for single sales and group buys. Asking them to post my car on their page for more information for you guys.... :) stay tuned

Ill be at Fort Benning Georgia for a few weeks so Ill be out the loop, but will be checking posts on site and emails from company about this tune in between the yelling at Basic training soldiers and training.. Drill Sergeant work is never over.

JackandSue
06-06-2013, 11:05 PM
Fort Ord class of '67

DS Ocampo
06-09-2013, 11:20 PM
-sweet jackandsue-

Ok issue with bank locking my cards out lol fixing Monday .. Car will go in when I hear back this week.. Was gonna have all parts installed but this helps out better also for tunes across various owners pref..
Here's a list of my parts and parts that will be in before this winter at the end of the list. ..
Remember this will be tuned to your setup :).. Just give me some slack I'm out on mission in Georgia till the 22nd so organizing this madness is crazy.. Brother is helping at home and installing parts when they come in lol (poor guy all parts ordered at once).. <-- for you guys to have a tune I bought whatever I could :) ..

Madness: 2" springs , forge BOV, forge WGA, forge FMIC, turbo blanket, short shifter

Road race motorsports: 10mm front and black spacers, 4 point harness drvr & pass, roll cage, CAI , red w/ carbon fiber engine cover

Modern performance: MPx throttle body, light weight pulley kit

B&M muffler (Avondale AZ): custom 2,5" axle back dual exhaust with tips

Dyno-comp.com: custom flashed ECU ( to handle all MODS)

Next: CF HOOD W/ vents, CF hatch, CF doors with supports, custom clear UV scratch safe shatter proof acrylic poly glass, custom wide body kit, stage 1 turbo kit coming soon after testing( don't ask how lol ), black sport Sabelt seats

shagghie
06-10-2013, 12:10 AM
hey sweet!!!
the poly glass... is that the windshield?

DS Ocampo
06-10-2013, 05:15 AM
Gonna get all glass replaced minus my sun roof

DS Ocampo
06-10-2013, 08:56 PM
***** news flash car going in wed.. For this flash with CAI,MPx TB, and axle back exhaust*****

Standby on postings

Then in a few weeks the rest the parts ( some back ordered :( ) will come in and more options to follow

Woot woot

DS Ocampo .... Out !

MAZ
06-11-2013, 09:05 AM
***** news flash car going in wed.. For this flash with CAI,MPx TB, and axle back exhaust*****

Standby on postings

Cool dude, good luck can't wait to hear your experiences.

Ryephile
06-11-2013, 10:31 AM
PLEEEZE get a before and after set of dyno pulls. That means 3 before, and 3 after, with AFR at least, and OBDII sensors if possible. Otherwise you're pretty much spending $600 on hopes and dreams.

Dyno-Comp's website shows two things: A random pull with a boost threshold nothing like the stock Abarth, and the car on the dyno....backwards. :nono:

Jjm4life
06-11-2013, 11:49 AM
^^ lol i noticed that.

Someone please step up with a true tuning solution

Ryephile
06-11-2013, 10:16 PM
I emailed Dyno-Comp with this:

Is the Fiat Abarth ECU flash ready for sale yet? EVOtech....does that mean it\'s a WOT-only tune like their past offerings? If not, what changes are made? Thanks

...and got this back reply back rather quickly:

Hello Ryan,

Evotech has never offered WOT-only tunes. This is a completely custom tune that covers the entire RPM range. You will pickup low end throttle response for sure.
The reflash is $575.

Frankly, this is a crap non-answer. It's deflective and ignorant. I'll reply asking for specifics, and also asking why their dyno sheet doesn't A) have a before/after, and B) fails to match the boost threshold of the stock turbo.

shagghie
06-11-2013, 10:24 PM
Evotech = DynoComp I take it? RPM range isn't the same thing as covering different conditions. It is a bit of a weird answer given he said they never have, yet didn't describe what they DO do, which would have answered your original question.

I emailed Dyno-Comp with this:

...and got this back reply back rather quickly:

Frankly, this is a crap non-answer. It's deflective and ignorant. I'll reply asking for specifics, and also asking why their dyno sheet doesn't A) have a before/after, and B) fails to match the boost threshold of the stock turbo.

DS Ocampo
06-12-2013, 01:02 PM
The car is there now... They will post before and after pulls ... Not paying for the dyno as they are trying to get the best out of parts and car itself... We will see .. Someone has to be the test guy ...

They might repost on their sure but either way gonna email me the results ..

The car on their site was just for looks lol they knew it was fwd.. Maybe my car will replace all that and show better..

New parts will go on and another dyno will be done when I get home on the 22nd or 23rd ish ..

turbocharged
06-13-2013, 05:14 PM
Have you heard back from them?

whatebahw
06-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Have you heard back from them?

Maybe he's still out hooning?

DS Ocampo
06-14-2013, 05:50 AM
Sorry guys workings these basic trainees out here at Fort Benning ... Ahh the car was on the dyno yesterday for baselines and air/fuel .. They are working on changing different options to get all they can...

Either way I'm just glad to dump the piggy back...

Keep you guys posted .. Back to work it's 4am.. Got off at 1100pm .. "This we"ll defend!" US Army Drill Sergeant

Mike S
06-14-2013, 08:28 AM
God I miss basic training.

shagghie
06-14-2013, 11:22 AM
Sorry guys workings these basic trainees out here at Fort Benning ... Ahh the car was on the dyno yesterday for baselines and air/fuel .. They are working on changing different options to get all they can...

Either way I'm just glad to dump the piggy back...

Keep you guys posted .. Back to work it's 4am.. Got off at 1100pm .. "This we"ll defend!" US Army Drill Sergeant

hang in there and hydrate so your brain can handle the extra power when you get the car back, k? heh.

btw, what's the top two reasons why you'll be glad to get rid of the piggy back?

deathshead
06-14-2013, 12:50 PM
The car is there now... They will post before and after pulls ... Not paying for the dyno as they are trying to get the best out of parts and car itself... We will see .. Someone has to be the test guy ...

They might repost on their sure but either way gonna email me the results ..

The car on their site was just for looks lol they knew it was fwd.. Maybe my car will replace all that and show better..

New parts will go on and another dyno will be done when I get home on the 22nd or 23rd ish ..

If this company was Serious they are be on their knees begging you to get the car on their Dyno for Before and after runs. I'm calling shenanigans until we see some REAL information and proof.

DS Ocampo
06-14-2013, 07:47 PM
They did want the car for dyno testing and stuff and aren't charging me a thing for this besides a flash install...

*** this just in****

I went to this company trying to figure this out for the community here.. Don't shoot the guy for getting raw details and trying to get any info to better our cars.. Here's the new scoop

DS Ocampo
06-14-2013, 07:56 PM
Hi Nicholas,

Well after a couple of days of work I have some good news and some bad news for you.

The good news is that we were able to build a custom calibration file for your Fiat 500. We read out the factory ECU via the OBD-II port and built a file based on the current version of software from Fiat.

The bad news is that we need to order another tool in order to program your particular ECU. We don't completely know why at this time as we have programmed these cars in the past, but it would not take. It will take approx. 3-5 weeks to get a hold of the new tool.

My recommendation would be to have your brother pick the car up in the mean time and we will let you know when things are ready to roll again. You don't owe us anything at this time.

Thank you!

( they really want to figure this out and are trying to get into this now that everyone bombed their email lol :) good job... They are gonna deff push forward and figure this out) they sent another email stating this after this one I just pasted.. Lets just keep our fingers crossed... At least I'm right next door and could keep pursuing them for this...

DS Ocampo
06-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Hey ROAD RACE!!! I need you ECU tuner ... I just ordered all those parts from you( Nicholas Ocampo) ... Pm me please :)

DS Ocampo
06-14-2013, 08:08 PM
hang in there and hydrate so your brain can handle the extra power when you get the car back, k? heh.

btw, what's the top two reasons why you'll be glad to get rid of the piggy back?

I just don't like the idea of fooling the ECU. I'd rather have a product to be built for you to get the most out of your car and MODS you installed. Piggy back is just a generic thing pushed out there to hold us over for now ( not saying they are a waste, I'm buying the rrm ecu tuner) but just not fully right for what we put into it.. To bad there's not an app for that :)..