PDA

View Full Version : Abarth problem. Help.

Jon123
05-22-2013, 09:18 PM
I have a 2013 abarth with madness add ons
Lowering springs
ECM madness
Go pedal
Air intake
Front brace bar
Love my car.
Has 750 miles only.

On the highway today all these cel etc flashing hazard went off and finally my car couldn't go faster than 5 mph. Managed to get home.
Call madness they said may be pedal. Reverted to stock. Still nothing.
Have to remove ECM next. Unless someone has better advice. Please help.
Here is a video of what happens when I turn on the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gsv72yGEns

Abarth619
05-22-2013, 09:50 PM
Have you tried disconnecting the battery letting everything reset? Definitely sounds like a computer issue though.

opiateESP
05-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Have you tried disconnecting the battery letting everything reset? Definitely sounds like a computer issue though.

Inspect your spark plugs. Had a sound like that on one of my old cars. One plug had been destroyed.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
05-22-2013, 10:00 PM
How long after the mods to the ECU did this happen? Did you give the ECU time to learn the mods by driving and shifting under 4K for 40 or 50 miles with NO SPORT MODE at 1st?

Jon123
05-22-2013, 10:02 PM
I haven't reset it. As I don't know how. Not sure how to disconnect battery. Completely. Wish there was a kill switch. Ordered a ob2 reader to cancel out the error code. But a reset is needed. Will check spark plugs. Any other ideas ??

JackandSue
05-22-2013, 10:12 PM
What I'd do is disconnect both battery cables, go inside car and push down on gas peddle (hold down for 15 seconds) to release any stored elect. in system. wait 15 minutes then reconnect battery If that doesn't help have it towed to shop. Also check Madness wire connections when battery is disconnected.

05-22-2013, 10:17 PM
What I'd do is disconnect both battery cables, go inside car and push down on gas peddle (hold down for 15 seconds) to release any stored elect. in system. wait 15 minutes then reconnect battery If that doesn't help have it towed to shop. Also check Madness wire connections when battery is disconnected.

I think you are suppose to push the brake pedal to release stored energy by turning on brake lights.

05-22-2013, 10:21 PM
I haven't reset it. As I don't know how. Not sure how to disconnect battery. Completely. Wish there was a kill switch. Ordered a ob2 reader to cancel out the error code. But a reset is needed. Will check spark plugs. Any other ideas ??

10 MM wrench to disconnect terminals.

FTY
05-22-2013, 11:40 PM
Vacuum leak (massive)...check all hoses underneather car(intercooler lines)..the Madness ECM is a TMC unit and they have been extremely reliable. The power pedal wouldnt cause those issues. Im suspecting vacuum issues, as with the TMC you are running higher charge pressures and you could have taken a loosely fitted hose and blew it off. My personal suggestion if you cant find teh issue is take everything back off the car and have it picked up by the dealer.

Fiat500USA
05-23-2013, 12:39 AM
Vacuum leak (massive)...check all hoses underneather car(intercooler lines)..the Madness ECM is a TMC unit and they have been extremely reliable. The power pedal wouldnt cause those issues. Im suspecting vacuum issues, as with the TMC you are running higher charge pressures and you could have taken a loosely fitted hose and blew it off. My personal suggestion if you cant find teh issue is take everything back off the car and have it picked up by the dealer.

Hard to tell without seeing the car, but I agree with FTY. Sounds like it could have just popped a hose off due to increased boost. If checking into that isn't an option, remove the ad ons and head for the dealer.

mactography
05-23-2013, 07:57 AM

I third this suggestion by Chris. This is the EXACT sound I had coming from under the hood and at the exhaust. Turned out to be a vacuum hose that had popped off due to increased boost.

The culprit hose for me was behind the engine on the right side. I removed the ECM and took it in to be looked at. They tried to void warranty because of the cold air intake so be aware of that possibility (it SHOULDN'T cause that type of problem, but they'll try and sucker you) The hose was worm clamped because the tech said he couldn't find an original clamp and the hose had popped entirely off. If you can't reach the hose I'd suggest taking it in after removing the ECM and possibly reverting the airbox to stock at your discretion. Mine's run fine ever since that hose was fixed.

Here's my video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHIMio3rJro

Jon123
05-26-2013, 06:07 PM
How long after the mods to the ECU did this happen? Did you give the ECU time to learn the mods by driving and shifting under 4K for 40 or 50 miles with NO SPORT MODE at 1st?

ABout 700 miles after...
Not really giving time to learn..

Jon123
05-26-2013, 06:08 PM

I disconnected the battery, disconnected the go pedal, all errors rest after driving for 0.5mph errors come back and limp mode begins.

Jon123
05-26-2013, 06:12 PM
OMG..that is awesome...That must be it...Any suggestions on how to find that hose??

I third this suggestion by Chris. This is the EXACT sound I had coming from under the hood and at the exhaust. Turned out to be a vacuum hose that had popped off due to increased boost.

The culprit hose for me was behind the engine on the right side. I removed the ECM and took it in to be looked at. They tried to void warranty because of the cold air intake so be aware of that possibility (it SHOULDN'T cause that type of problem, but they'll try and sucker you) The hose was worm clamped because the tech said he couldn't find an original clamp and the hose had popped entirely off. If you can't reach the hose I'd suggest taking it in after removing the ECM and possibly reverting the airbox to stock at your discretion. Mine's run fine ever since that hose was fixed.

Here's my video of it:

Abarth Phreak
05-27-2013, 01:12 AM
ABout 700 miles after...
Not really giving time to learn..

You put all these mods on your car before the break-in period??? Crazy nut!!! LOL...

Get your flashlight out, open the hood and start peeking around the engine bay to find a hose that is not connected securely. Do not assume they are connected, actually check each one by hand. Sometimes a hose will be only partially connected and could appear to be connected. If you do not find it yourself, you may need to take it to the dealer because of the location. Based on some of your comments about not knowing how to disconnect the battery, you may want to get a mechanic buddy to come look at it with you. Good luck!

If you do find it, take a pic and share if you can please. You will also need to know how to keep it secured. It might be smart to get some hose clamps from the local store in a few different sizes. I think they sell small boxes with various sizes in them at Harbor Freight if you have one local to you. This is good learning for all of us. I hope it is nothing more than a boost leak.

Abarth Phreak
05-27-2013, 01:20 AM
Is it me, or does it sound like the car is saying..."ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch.."...LOL Great reference video. Thanks for sharing it! The dealer threatening to void warranty for an intake is bogus. What was the reason they were giving you? I had a dealer say it to me once...they were corrected on the law very fast. Also, just FYI, a dealer cannot void the warranty. The warranty is not provided by the dealer, FIAT voids the warranty.

Here's my video of it:

Jon123
05-27-2013, 08:30 AM
I looked in the engine bay tugged on the hoses nothing seemed loose..I erased the error code. REv the car at idle and no problem. I go and drive it and i get the error code within 0.5mile.
I really dont want to take out the ecu and all as it is a pain in the butt...
PLease tell me about this law about voiding the warranty. I am assuming once the technician makes a case Fiat USA will listen and void it..
Not sure...
INPUT?

Is it me, or does it sound like the car is saying..."ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch.."...LOL Great reference video. Thanks for sharing it! The dealer threatening to void warranty for an intake is bogus. What was the reason they were giving you? I had a dealer say it to me once...they were corrected on the law very fast. Also, just FYI, a dealer cannot void the warranty. The warranty is not provided by the dealer, FIAT voids the warranty.

Abarth Phreak
05-27-2013, 11:18 AM
I looked in the engine bay tugged on the hoses nothing seemed loose..I erased the error code. REv the car at idle and no problem. I go and drive it and i get the error code within 0.5mile.
I really dont want to take out the ecu and all as it is a pain in the butt...
PLease tell me about this law about voiding the warranty. I am assuming once the technician makes a case Fiat USA will listen and void it..
Not sure...
INPUT?

Anything you did to the car that caused the issue could be denied coverage OR deem parts of or all of your warranty void. The key to is that your action had to have caused the issue leading to the damage. Example: If you have a cold air intake and take your car in for an oil change, they cannot void your warranty just because you have it. If you bring it in for issues with your sunroof, they cannot say this caused the sunroof to get damaged. If you sucked up heavy debris because of a hole in your filter they can say the motor was damaged by your intake. Denied and possibly voided. There has to be a reason associated. Refer to the Magnusson-moss act for more details on it.

What would be helpful for folks here is what the codes you are getting are to help you out further. All I can recommend is that you do take everything off that is a power adder and get it back to stock, then take it to the dealer. The issue might not be related to anything you did and you could be wasting some time on it. That is what I would be doing right now. Try to get that code read if you can first to help give you an idea of the problem.

Seafarer61
05-27-2013, 03:23 PM
I keep saying this fellas but every Abarth owner (car owner, truth be told) should own a scanner. They can be had for as little as $50. These kind of threads move along nicely when we know what the ECU is spittin' out.

Abarth Phreak
05-27-2013, 04:14 PM
I keep saying this fellas but every Abarth owner (car owner, truth be told) should own a scanner. They can be had for as little as $50. These kind of threads move along nicely when we know what the ECU is spittin' out.

Amen to that!!!! Should be a mandatory tool in everyone's toolbox. Although they are still very helpful, I would recommend not just getting a cheap code reader if you can afford it. (Bit question is, can you not afford it?) Many will actually tell you what the code means instead of just the code number itself. Very useful either way.

Fiat500USA
05-28-2013, 12:21 AM
What about bringing the car back to whoever installed the mods and having them go over the installation?

Abarth Phreak
05-28-2013, 01:31 AM
What about bringing the car back to whoever installed the mods and having them go over the installation?

Hopefully that was already thought about before the post huh...makes sense though especially if they have a lift to help look around before removing stuff if not necessary and also have a code reader.

Abarth Phreak
05-31-2013, 12:44 AM
Any updates on what happened?

Abarth Phreak
06-05-2013, 09:20 PM
How bout now??? :frantic4yc:

ReconTopher
06-06-2013, 12:31 AM
meow?

trevc
06-06-2013, 09:52 AM
:sucks:

johniew398
06-06-2013, 10:09 AM
This is why I don't do mods on any car.

If I want something with more HP I just buy a car that has more HP.

trevc
06-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Thats no fun!

This is why I don't do mods on any car.

If I want something with more HP I just buy a car that has more HP.

CarlosOne
06-23-2013, 11:07 PM
Nightmare, pit in stomach, regret...