PDA

View Full Version : First drive - BBC Top Gear

Andree
05-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Fiat 500e first drive

The electric version of the 500 is superb. But you can't have one...

Posted by: Pat Devereux, 22 May 2013

"Californians are already going crazy for them, so it'll be a while before that demand is met."

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/fiat-500e-first-drive-2013-04-22

Andree
05-23-2013, 04:51 PM
And, a review of the review!

"Unfortunately, as Top Gear points out and most of us already know, the Fiat 500e is a California-only offering at this point in time. But with all the glowing reviews out there and a lease price of only $199 per month, we sure do think this “one of the all-time best city cars ever made” should, well, be made for all to enjoy. Fingers crossed on this one."

http://insideevs.com/top-gear-drives-the-fiat-500e-falls-in-love/

Thought this comment was funny, from the above link:

Cavaron
May 23, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Top Gear praised an EV? I have to check if gravity still pulls things to the ground…

Ryephile
05-23-2013, 05:36 PM
I really wish Fiat would open up the market on the 500e. I would've got one for my DD as my commute is short enough to do my usual daily stuff and still get home with capacity to spare.

Andree
05-23-2013, 05:55 PM
I really wish Fiat would open up the market on the 500e. I would've got one for my DD as my commute is short enough to do my usual daily stuff and still get home with capacity to spare.

Let me ask this: How much would you be willing to pay?

The articles all mention how Fiat is losing money per car, and the 10,000 in tax credits. I personally wouldn't be able to make use of tax credits, so my price would be higher. And I would guess that many other people are in the same predicament. Other states might not offer tax credits, so even if a person was able to use them, they might not be available. So if Fiat was to make the 500e available everywhere, it may well be at the 32,000 or even higher. I don't know if they could offer the same lease deal, but if they could, then it might be affordable for a lot of people all over, if they have the credit to get the lease deal.

I'm wondering if folks would pay 32,000 or even 42,000 for the 500e in other states. That would be without tax incentives (32K) and with Fiat breaking even (42K). It certainly could pull the buyers at 32K, as the convertible Abarth is up there. But could it pull in buyers at 42K?

Ryephile
05-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Oh, LOL, I was fine with the $199/month lease. I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay any more than low/mid 20's for the car outright.

Andree
05-23-2013, 11:09 PM
Oh, LOL, I was fine with the $199/month lease. I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay any more than low/mid 20's for the car outright.

hahahahaha! I think EVERYONE is fine with the lease amount. I wonder if Fiat COULD do that in other states? Fingers crossed for you!

Robert Nixon
05-23-2013, 11:15 PM
why are you saying you wouldn't get the tax credit? Don't all buyers get the credit?

The other thing with California, or why it's only being sold in CA right now is that for auto makers to do business in the state, they have to offer X amount or sell X amount of hybrid and electric vehicles in the state, so business wise it's probably the only state so far that FIAT "has" to sell the electric version.

Andree
05-24-2013, 04:35 AM
why are you saying you wouldn't get the tax credit? Don't all buyers get the credit?

The other thing with California, or why it's only being sold in CA right now is that for auto makers to do business in the state, they have to offer X amount or sell X amount of hybrid and electric vehicles in the state, so business wise it's probably the only state so far that FIAT "has" to sell the electric version.

It's a TAX CREDIT. You have to make enough money and file taxes and owe that much in order to write off that much. I don't. Same thing with lease deals, you have to have the good income and good credit in order to get the good deal. I don't. I'm disabled. I suck. I don't have a house with garage or anyplace to plug it in anyway.

But that won't stop me from being enthusiastic, posting articles, and knowing there are people that do have all those things and can have the car and will enjoy it immensely.

I know about the various rules for California, and why they sell it here. One of the articles mentioned if they didn't have it to sell, they'd be buying credits from someone else or paying fines. So they really aren't losing as much as they say they are losing (but then I have no idea how much it costs an automaker to buy another automaker's credits).

But, air is air. From what I've read, California is getting soot from China. We have our own soot, thanks, but wherever it's really nasty air, it doesn't just stop at city or state or country limits. If every place was a bubble, then we'd see big reasons why California needs to reduce pollution.

Our crap will carry over to other areas. And so on. Even the most pristine place is getting someone's crap. It doesn't make sense for Fiat to lose money and go out of business to provide cars at a loss in other areas. But then maybe they could offer lease only deals in heavily metro areas. Or adjust the price as needed for other states.

Perhaps states, cities, metro areas, that do have the heavy pollution could work with Fiat on making the cars a priority for their individual areas, by kicking in something. They could also be made available as city/county official vehicles. Most of the cars/trucks I see running around town for the city and county of San Francisco are occupied by a single driver. Some are natural gas. We have some hybrid buses. Some electric rail trains. We could do some electric vehicles for the county. It makes sense.

If they were made for business use only originally, years later they would be available for consumers. The prices would be lower after the cars had been driven by county departments, and Fiat wouldn't have to offer the chargers at dealerships or the extra rental cars.

Toyota already did this in the late 90's with the RAV4 EV:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_RAV4_EV

They only did it in California. Times are way different now. Gas is higher, and yet the county/city still needs to get from place to place. Any city could make good use out of an electric vehicle, and save a boatload in gas costs while not contributing to the ongoing pollution.