PDA

View Full Version : Fiat 500 Recall N15 - Starter Motor Mounting Bolts on early cars

Fiat500USA
05-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Below is posted in the interest of providing information to the members and owners here. It seems very early build date Fiat 500s may have a starting issue due to poor grounding of the starter. This effects cars built over a three month period (approx 3,000 cars). Please consult your local Fiat Studio for specific information.

Customer Satisfaction Notification N15 Starter Motor Mounting Bolts

2012 (FF) Fiat 500

NOTE: This notification applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a manual transaxle (sales code DDF) built from March 15, 2011 through June 30, 2011 (MDH 031500 through 063023).
The starter motor mounting bolts on about 3,000 of the above vehicles may not ground the starter motor to the transaxle case properly. This could cause the electrical energy from the starter motor during cranking to take an alternate path to ground across the engine crankshaft bearings.

One starter motor mounting bolt must be replaced with a new starter motor bolt and a second starter motor mounting bolt must be added for grounding reasons only.

Part Number:
CEA1N151AA
Description:
Starter Motor Bolt Package - Each package contains the following components: Starter Motor Mounting 2 Bolts

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0WJkfWedPqI/UZz-9nCJVeI/AAAAAAAARRc/pzFn84fJvV8/s640/Fiat%2520500%2520Starter%2520bolt.jpg

Felnus
05-22-2013, 05:32 PM
Hmm...I'lll have to check my build date. This might apply to me but I haven't noticed any starting issues.

bryanintowson
07-17-2013, 10:42 AM
I don't know how I missed this one. Thanks for the headsup. When Dante goes in for an oil change I'll have them take care of it.

the stig
07-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Felnus: Hmm...I'lll have to check my build date. This might apply to me but I haven't noticed any starting issues. .

This doesn't seem to really be a starter issue. The issue is possible engine damage from an improper ground path from the starter when it is engaged.
On another forum one owner talks about having crankshaft problems. The engine had to be reworked due to bad main bearings. It would seem that poor grounding as per the recall could be the culprit. Electrical power through bearings is a very bad thing. I work with welders every day. We always have to be aware of possible ground paths on the equipment we weld on so as to avoid damage.

Felnus
07-17-2013, 03:53 PM
No worries, mine was put together in July, 2011.

elix
03-20-2015, 07:53 PM
My car is just in for this reason... Despite my visits and oil changes, they never fixed it! And the will most likely have to replace the whole engine... Very poor customer service...

elix
03-21-2015, 04:44 PM
I believe this is what is going on with my car. I have been on rental since 3/3; they towed my car away from one fiat dealership to another one one hour away; they said it would be a week because they had to replace the engine; after a week I call and the car could not be located so road side assistance tells me to go to the police and file a report for a stolen veichle; I go to the police in the evening but they suggest me to make one more in the morning; I make the call and they find the car; then it takes another week for dealership 2 to take a look at it; it is 3/21 and dealership 2 says they are waiting from Fiat to know what to do with the car... Suggestions?

johnweyand
04-29-2015, 08:59 PM
Can anyone list a description of the two bolts in the part CEA1N151AA? I live two hours from the dealership and have done all my own service work (my hobby is car restoration) and simply want to hoist the car on my lift and put in the bolts. I'm not interested in driving two hours to a dealer for 30 minutes work that I could do here. I can't find anything on line to describe what the two bolts in the kit actually are. I just want to get this done to prevent the "elix" problem.

Prima#19
05-11-2015, 07:49 AM
The symptoms are most likely a message going across your screen indicating low oil pressure-shut engine off. Primas will not be included in this bulletin because of the VIN# sequence but mine needed the bulletin and it was done at 90K but the dreaded message showed up at 100k.

luckymoi
05-11-2015, 04:16 PM
Manual, not Automatic... Bambino dodged a bullet me thinks